Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

turn signal problem

26K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  JohnB 
#1 ·
The left turn signal on my 2002 MDX is on all the time. When I switch it to turn right, both turn signals blink line emergency flashers. Can one of you kind people post a section of the circuit diagram showing the connection from the combination switch to the turn signal relay to the light bulbs? In the mean time I removed fuse #10 and I'm using old fashioned hand signals (cold brrrr).

Thanks in Advance,

JXL

#3 ·
Thanks for the link!

I forgot to mention that when the left turn signal is on by itself, it's dimmer than when the switch is switched to left. Looking at the diagrams, it appears that I may have a stuck combination switch. I'll probe it this weekend.

JXL

#4 ·
Problem fixed !

It turned out to be a problem with the combination switch. I disassembled the switch and found carbonized (?) material (probably the contact grease) between the center and left contacts, which formed a ~10 ohm resistor. It was hard and I had to cut it out with an Xacto knife.

Sorry, I forgot to take pictures.

Thanks to SBM for the link to the schematics.

In case this happens to any of you, the fix cost $0.00. If you're not brave enough to open up the switch, you can buy a new one for $80 MSRP.

#6 ·
Part number

I have (had) the same problem with my turn signal. It actually stopped working today. I took the switch apart and the contacts were worn out.

I called Acura and they gave me part number 35255-S3V-A02 SWITCH ASSY., LIGHTING when I asked for the combination switch for the turn signal. I was unable to find a switch assembly for the turn signal so I'm assuming this is it but I'm wondering if someone can confirm. Thx!

#12 ·
I see this is a very old post, but I am also having the same-sh with my 2003 MDX. When using the left blinker ( down on the pole of the combination switch that controls the head lights and blinkers. ). The lights that would come on as if the head lights are on, flash along with the blinker and the Navigation Screen too. If you turn the lights on. The left blinker stays lite. I took apart the steering column and removed the combination switch. I took the switch apart and did not notice any connections touching each other. I am unsure if this is even the problem. I built back up the switch and installed it back in. The same problem is still around.

Anyone know if this is still the switch? Or is there a short somewhere in the MDX? Maybe a blinker relay?

Also before the lights in the truck flashed with the blinker. When braking. The screen on the Navigation would flicker.

#13 ·
Anyone having this issue? I have found other similar issues to this and people believe it to be the ELD under the fuse box in the engine compartment. I have made a video. ( Sorry about my daughter in the back round and when I say the right does nothing. I mean it is normal. This seems to only affect the left turn single.)

When the car headlight are on or in auto ( at night ). The left turn single stays lite as shown in the video. It still blinks when used. The right turn single acts as normal. When the car headlights are off. The interior lights that usually come on as if the headlights were on flash to the blinker. Also when the truck is in park. There is a clicking noise near the shifter when pressing on the brake. When the truck is in drive or gear. There is no click.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSPmxCT3LH0&list=UUxJ1u0EC3LdjIwsr9yQgNYg

#14 ·
I have a 2004 acura mdx and i've recently came across the same problem. My hazard light are working including my HID and Fogs. But my Turn signal lights arent working. I used my test light and checked all the fuses and relays under the hood, driver and passenger side kick panel and it all seems to be fine. I came to the conclusion that the problem was the turning signal combination switch on the steering column.

can someone help me please tell me if im right or not? im planning on just cleaning the contacts on the combination switch to see if it works. if not then ill replace it

Also if you can post a link to the installation diagram that would be helpful. thanks

#15 ·
I came to the conclusion that the problem was the turning signal combination switch on the steering column.

can someone help me please tell me if im right or not?
Try it. Maybe that's the problem. Maybe it's just the bulbs. (I would try replacing those first, since it's easier.)

Also if you can post a link to the installation diagram that would be helpful. thanks
It's in the body section of the factory service manual. I have the 2003-2006 MDX service manual, and it's on page 22-139, titled "Combination Light Switch Test/Replacement". It tells you how to test it to make sure the connector terminals are making good contact.

If you don't have the factory service manual, you need one; it's essential any time you work on your own MDX. You can buy them new for around $60 from the publisher (click here).

#20 ·
I,m new to the forum.and not very computer savy so bare with me if I'm in the wrong place.I've lost the turn signals and E-flashers.I've checked all fuses and they look good.I'm not hearing the clicking of a relay and I've about tore out the driver fuse box and big white plastic box in front of the fuses and cant seem to find a normal relay.Any pointers to my problem would be greatly appreciated.Thanks!

#22 ·
Thanks Lloyd.I have an 06 as well as the 02 and a can hear the clicking of the flasher relay in the driver side fuse area of the 06.I pulled the big white plastic box out from in front of the fuses (the only logical device that could contain the relay),but it is self contained and shows no replaceable relays so I'm stumped.If this device is the relay it looks expensive to replace as it has a ton of electronics inside this 3x3 inch G3 white plastic box.I have checked all relays and fuses under the hood and they all look ok.I even rotated some all of the relays above the #5 fuse in the under the hood fuse box and no change.Can any one shed any light on my problem ?Thanks!

#25 ·
I'm still confused.The sound the flasher is supposed to make in the area of the drivers side fuses is not happening.I rotated all the relays under the hood,and still no clicking.Can anyone tell me what the large white plastic box is in front of the driver fuse box?This is the area the clicking is coming from on my other 06.

#26 ·
Ok,I bought a flasher unit because it looks different than any of the relays I rotated,but I'll be damned if I can find it.My 06 looks the same as the 02,and I can almost feel the clicking in the drivers side fuse area.I can almost deaden the sound by applying pressure to the white box (G3-honda)in front of the driver side fuses on my 06 but I cant seem to find the flasher unit.I've even removed the white box and unpluged all the connectors going in to the fuse box in an attempt to remove the fuse box.Can some one please tell me the hiding place,before I blow a fuse and take my 5 pound hand sledge to the Dash!!! Heeeeeeeeelllllllllllppppppppp Mr.Wizard

#28 ·
I’m new to this forum, the turn signal relay is behind the box that you are referring to, fuse box assembly on the drivers side lower kick panel. Real pain to get to as you have to remove all the connections to the fuse box assembly I order to get to the back. Also, I think someone asked what the white box was, multiplex integrated control unit (MICU)...otherwise known as a computer!

#27 ·
Had the same issue with my 2002. Out of blues the right turn signal got stucked blinking. I noticed a little burn smell. Checked the fuse box under driver side 7.5A and looked intact but had some black marks. I replaced but the problem continued. Strange even without the fuse the blinker was still active. So I figure it must be the switch itself. I found a YouTube video that shows how to replace the switch assy on the steering wheel.
https://youtu.be/R20kiVwtaMs

So far I managed to remove the old one and ordered a new one from my O’Rileys store. $67. I decided to take the old switch apart and captured these shots. Something shorted for sure but not sure what yet. Any ideas?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.