Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Snow

10K views 52 replies 12 participants last post by  kingmdx 
#1 ·
So whos ready for some snow?

ACCUMULATIONS OF 1 TO 3 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE BY MONDAY MORNING... WITH STORM TOTAL AMOUNTS OF 2 TO 6 INCHES POSSIBLE.

Nothing major. First taste of winter weather. :D :( ;) :3: :)

#28 ·
Silentalero said:

Today almost made me pull out the bike

This made me laugh ...i checked it today (the 9th) and thought you were talking about today (until i saw you replied in december)..I was like bike riding...in this !!! ...... there is like 6 inches on the ground as we speak and 7"-10" expected during the night ...not much fun for bike riding :p ...I know what day you were talking about though ...it's all a setup ...don't fall for it !!! :) :p

#33 ·
Latest machine in Tim's turnstile of snowblowers is this one, called a Hahn Eclipse. Most backwards design I've ever seen....the secondary auger is a two-bladed paddle, and the front auger is powered by a chain that is driven from the rear wheels!

I picked this thing up and thought it was the screwiest thing I'd ever seen, but man this thing can move snow!!!!

#35 ·
midnightMDX said:
Had about 10 inches of total snow and more is on the way. :D

We got about 18" over the last 3 days ....and we expect 4"-6" again tonight to tomorrow. Ariens still holding up like a champ :) ...I must say i'm getting to use this A LOT more than I thought I would. It's one snow storm after another.

#36 ·
kingmdx said:

We got about 18" over the last 3 days ....and we expect 4"-6" again tonight to tomorrow. Ariens still holding up like a champ :) ...I must say i'm getting to use this A LOT more than I thought I would. It's one snow storm after another.
Theres a blizzard warning for the morning, but the accumulation isnt suppose to be too much. Looks like more storms are slated for the week too. I want to go sledding. :2:

#37 ·
midnightMDX said:

Theres a blizzard warning for the morning, but the accumulation isnt suppose to be too much. Looks like more storms are slated for the week too. I want to go sledding. :2:

Yeah the news here mentioned that you all had the blizzard warning ...the commute to work in the morning should be fun ...let's hope we all don't find ourself sledding with the X :p

OH DON'T FORGET THE SUPER TEMPERATURE :) ....0 and below ...dress warm :p

#38 ·
Re: snow

f1swede said:
Tim! Where on earth do you find all these blowers. Some of them should be in a museum. Fun to see all the design tho.
Craigslist. And every time I get done with one, and it runs and performs perfectly, someone ends up seeing it, has to have it, and offers me cash :8:

I'm one of those guys that when he sells something, everyone wants it, because they know it's done meticulously and done right. That Hahn was a $25 purchase that hadn't run in years, had a busted chain, and a VERY gummy carb. The right axle has a slight bend to it, hence the homemade idler wheel, as it slackens and tightens slightly as it goes. Come spring, I'll heat up the axle, bend it back into place, and give it a good paint job and wheel and auger bearings. They're not bad, but I like peace of mind :4:

That, and at the time I ended up parting with my Snowbird, I was pretty packed in in the garage with lawn tractors. I loves to play with that stuff :D

Always loved working on old cars, but these things take up far less space....

Next project on the agenda is a Wheel Horse 857 with an 8 HP Kohler (this is a representative photo)......

#39 ·
My 2005 did a new thing today. I woke up to 6 inches of new snow, and -18F temperature.

My MDX started up no problem, and I turned on the seat heater. Half way to work I turned off the seat heater, to which the Nav lady said "Radio Off", and then the radio shut off (and no, I did not touch anything related to the voice command system). That's a new one for me. Maybe another manifestation of the radio control gremlins.

#40 ·
carguy1234 said:
My 2005 did a new thing today. I woke up to 6 inches of new snow, and -18F temperature.

My MDX started up no problem, and I turned on the seat heater. Half way to work I turned off the seat heater, to which the Nav lady said "Radio Off", and then the radio shut off (and no, I did not touch anything related to the voice command system). That's a new one for me. Maybe another manifestation of the radio control gremlins.
The blizzard warning was a fluke. Nothing happened. Currently its -1 degrees outside, real feel of -14.

Thats some weird issue. I dont know if I could hear this before, but when I switch vent modes I can hear the motorization. Not sure if this is just weather related or I am just paranoid. It doesnt sound bad at all.

#41 ·
midnightMDX said:

The blizzard warning was a fluke. Nothing happened. Currently its -1 degrees outside, real feel of -14.

Thats some weird issue. I dont know if I could hear this before, but when I switch vent modes I can hear the motorization. Not sure if this is just weather related or I am just paranoid. It doesnt sound bad at all.
Prob cause it's so freaking cold out.

This is the first time I had to get gas in the 5 gallon gas can, more than once. We are gettting clobbered this year and how.

#42 ·
Couple of inches today, no biggie for the X. Tomorrow's high is predicted to be 9.

I miss the South.

#43 ·
News said that for the season so far we got around 85" of snow here. That's in a month and a half by the way. That's an average of nearly 2 inches a day...

TIM: you should do some before and after repair pics ...would love to see how some of those things look before you sell them after all the work. :29:

#44 ·
Most of the time, I don't go through painstaking efforts to pretty them up. Just too darned cold. Occasionally if I think it's a machine I intend to keep (which doesnt last long), I'll go through and give it a decent cleaning. But when you're trying to move them at a price point, performance beats pretty.......

Got my hands on this Snowbird last night for $50, from Craigslist. It's an S-226, but a much larger and older machine from the other S-226 I had. The guy claimed it ran great, and only needed a belt.

I went over to the guy's house last night at about 9, it's about 2 degrees out, and the wind is howling. He has the machine sitting in front of his house near his front door and it's just covered with snow and solid packed ice. He said it'll fire right up, and I'm thinking, no way.....

One gentle pull and the machine came to life!

The augers were frozen solid, so I'm letting it sit inside here at work to thaw, and it seems that the thing's going to be just fine :)

Here's a shot with my cell camera, I may come in here tomorrow and turn a wrench on it and do some fine tuning. This is potentially a museum piece, it's that nice, except for the surface rust on the engine tin.

And, now the Hahn is up for sale.....:p

Attachments

#45 ·
Hey it's above 32 :) ...haven't seen that in weeks. It's both a good and bad kinda feeling ...glad for the warmer weather to melt some of the snow ...but with melting snow comes ice when it refreezes which isn't much fun when driving.

#47 ·
This 60 degree weather is awesome ...I know it's not going to last much longer :( but I am enjoying it while I can :29:

#49 ·
It's been raining here constantly all day ....not to mention the 50mph winds. I just hope the temp doesn't drop too fast and turn all the water to ice overnight.. morning drive to work would suck.

#50 ·
Yeah! We finally got some snow. It was looking sparse in Tahoe, but that's all changed in the past 10 days. Something like 13 feet has fallen in that time.

Here's my car this morning near the base of Alpine Meadows Ski Area.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.