2012 Acura MDX vs. the BMW X5 - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012 Thread Starter

2012 Acura MDX vs. the BMW X5

Made sense to me. Here's what I got in an e-mail from Acura of Peoria. Would like to hear what the X5 has over the MDX by anyone??
===================================
The 2012 Acura MDX and BMW X5 play in the luxury crossover arena where buyers are flocking for luxury, capability and space. While both vehicles share the same goal, the paths they tread to get there are somewhat divergent. The BMW is a solid choice, however; the Acura MDX matches or betters the X5 in virtually every category, making it the choice for buyers looking to maximize their enjoyment-per-dollar.

Right off the bat, the MDX puts money back in your pocket by carrying a lower base MSRP of $42,930*, versus the $47,500 BMW charges for the X5 xDrive35i. The MDX holds its value better over time as well with an ALG Residual Value of 57 percent after 36 months; after the same period, the X5 is worth 50 percent of its original price. At the 60-month mark, the Acura is still worth 41 percent of new while the BMW is down to 35 percent. Acura backs the MDX better, too. Both the MDX and X5 feature four-year/50,000-mile basic warranties, but Acura covers the MDX powertrain for 72 months or 70,000 miles, which is two more years and an extra 20,000 miles over the BMW.

The case for the MDX gets even better when you climb inside. Leather-trimmed seats are standard, an option that the more expensive BMW charges you extra for, and it’s the same story with heated front seats. There’s no third-row seating available in the X5 to match the standard split-bench third-row the MDX carries, nor can the BMW match the standard 60/40-split second-row seat that folds and reclines. Rear-seat passengers will prefer the Acura’s accommodations, too, with standard rear-seat HVAC controls and a power moonroof that lets more light into the cabin. Standard privacy glass keeps prying eyes off the contents of the MDX, and drivers will appreciate the standard auto-dimming rear-view mirror, automatic tilt-away steering column, power liftgate and HomeLink® integrated remote.

BMW gives you a 3.0-liter inline six-cylinder engine that’s turbocharged to 300 hp and 300 lb/ft of torque. It’s an engine that’s packing a lot more complexity and potential sources of unreliability than Acura’s 3.7-liter V6. The MDX also serves up 300 hp thanks to both its extra displacement and higher 11.2:1 compression ratio that extracts more work from every drop of fuel. Both engines feature four valves per cylinder, but Acura operates the valve train with a single overhead camshaft per bank of cylinders, again reducing complexity compared to the BMWs dual overhead camshaft setup.

The MDX is longer than the X5 by half an inch and wider by nearly two and a half inches, resulting in more front shoulder, head- and legroom and more rear legroom and shoulder room. A 67.7-inch front track and 67.5-inch rear track stably plant the MDX on the road; the stance on the X5 is narrower with a 64.7-inch front and 65-inch rear track. You’d think that a vehicle capable of hauling a maximum cargo volume of 83.5 cubic feet––nearly 10 cubic feet more than the BMW’s 75.2 cubic feet of total space––and seven total passengers standard versus the five-person capacity of the BMW, would pay a significant penalty in weight, but the MDX is significantly more svelte than the X5, tipping the scales at 4,550 pounds, 410 pounds lighter than the 4,960-pound X5.

Both automakers offer options aplenty for their luxury crossovers including technology, navigation and performance enhancements. When going that route, the Acura wins out over the BMW again by offering options like an Active Damper System, (which effectively controls body motions), GPS-linked climate control and a fantastic ELS Surround-Sound audio system without going racing off for the $80,000 mark you can push an X5 up to.

The 2012 Acura MDX clearly bests its German rival. Make the smart choice and take a test drive of the MDX today.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012

Go drive a BMW , overall x5>mdx.

2001 MDX Daily Drive with load +Snowboard

2010 C300 Daily Drive

2011 600hp R35 GTR weekend warrior
post #3 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedavedave View Post
I agree. I wish the MDX had a V8 option or a more powerful V6 option.

post #4 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012

So if you pay thousands more you can get a lot less but you do get idrive!

DB22

2014 Audi A6
2010 MDX Advance, Ent.
2005 RL - sold.
post #5 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedavedave View Post
I have seen way too many X5's scattered by the roads when it's snowy/cold here (in Canada) to ever want to drive one.
Used to love BMW's (and in particular X5's) when I was younger but have heard too many horror stories.
post #6 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012

The 3.0L is a superior motor in terms of usable power vs the Acura/Honda V6.

The Acura uses a timing belt which adds excessively expensive maintenance with no benefit.

BMW includes free maintenance for 4yrs/50k and Acura offers differential fluid replacements, shorter oil change intervals, and other items.

I still like my 07 MDX but its not better. Just an alternate.
post #7 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012

As has been previously noted, the X5 and MDX come in many flavors. Comparing a 2012 loaded X5 to an Advance MDX would be a valid comparison. The base versions of both of these cars could hardly be catagorized as "luxury" SUV's but unfortunately, when fully loaded, the badge on the front plays an important role in peoples choice.

DB22

2014 Audi A6
2010 MDX Advance, Ent.
2005 RL - sold.
post #8 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012
Ari

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_j View Post
The 3.0L is a superior motor in terms of usable power vs the Acura/Honda V6.

The Acura uses a timing belt which adds excessively expensive maintenance with no benefit.

BMW includes free maintenance for 4yrs/50k and Acura offers differential fluid replacements, shorter oil change intervals, and other items.

I still like my 07 MDX but its not better. Just an alternate.
Even with added expenses, to include timing belt, the Acura will cost less in the end. BMW makes a great product for about 100,000 miles but all of my experience with them (633 CSi, 535i, 335xi, etc.) revealed too many problems post 100k miles.

2011 Acura MDX Tech/Ent (Palladium Metallic/Ebony): OEM Wood Steering Wheel, OEM Wood Shift Knob, Advance Running Boards, OEM Tow Package & Color Matched Body Side Moldings. Mods: Power Steering Filter and LED Interior Lights Awaiting Install: HID Fog Lights

Other Cars (Current): 2008 Lexus IS350 & 2007 Volvo S60R
post #9 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012

How dare you asking the X5 comparison in MDX forum

German vehicles come with a big repair/reliability price. I come from 10+ years of owning German vehicles, and the only thing that they have are the big V8 engines and nice wide wheel packages. The V6 engines are inferior in quality and reliability than the Acura V6 engines.

Bad reliability comes from using cheap components made by third party suppliers, which makes the factory and the dealers make huge profits from repair/labor and parts.

Once your free maintenance period expires, be prepared to spend around $700.00+ to $1600.00+ minimum per visit. They always find something that needs updating changing. The electronics always break often, and that is very expensive to fix.

The MDX V6 Advanced ($53,000.00) kind of matches a ($70,000.00) V6 X5, since the MDX comes with real leather, active damper system, HID, collision avoidance, blind spot detection, etc.

Unless you are looking for the V8 engine low-end torque power fun and you don't mind getting stranded from time to time and don't mind spending around $20,000.00 in repairs/maintenance minimum for the 10 years of ownership, then go for the $80,000.00 V8 engine BMW that is comparable to the MDX Advanced options.

I wish the Acura MDX will come with a nice V8 engine, wide wheel packages and with an aggressive look (like the 2011 MDX but with the wider wheel package and wider fenders) and some more models. BMW, Mercedes, and Audi will go broke because %80 of BMW/Mercedes/Audi V8 owners like the V8 power/look but hate the reliability, overpriced options, and cash cow treatment..

AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolson37 View Post
Made sense to me. Here's what I got in an e-mail from Acura of Peoria. Would like to hear what the X5 has over the MDX by anyone??
The 2012 Acura MDX and BMW X5 play in the luxury crossover arena where buyers are flocking for luxury, capability and space. While both vehicles share the same goal, the paths they tread to get there are somewhat divergent. The BMW is a solid choice, however; the Acura MDX matches or betters the X5 in virtually every category, making it the choice for buyers looking to maximize their enjoyment-per-dollar.

Right off the bat, the MDX puts money back in your pocket by carrying a lower base MSRP of $42,930*, versus the $47,500 BMW charges for the X5 xDrive35i. The MDX holds its value better over time as well with an ALG Residual Value of 57 percent after 36 months; after the same period, the X5 is worth 50 percent of its original price. At the 60-month mark, the Acura is still worth 41 percent of new while the BMW is down to 35 percent. Acura backs the MDX better, too. Both the MDX and X5 feature four-year/50,000-mile basic warranties, but Acura covers the MDX powertrain for 72 months or 70,000 miles, which is two more years and an extra 20,000 miles over the BMW.

The case for the MDX gets even better when you climb inside. Leather-trimmed seats are standard, an option that the more expensive BMW charges you extra for, and it’s the same story with heated front seats. There’s no third-row seating available in the X5 to match the standard split-bench third-row the MDX carries, nor can the BMW match the standard 60/40-split second-row seat that folds and reclines. Rear-seat passengers will prefer the Acura’s accommodations, too, with standard rear-seat HVAC controls and a power moonroof that lets more light into the cabin. Standard privacy glass keeps prying eyes off the contents of the MDX, and drivers will appreciate the standard auto-dimming rear-view mirror, automatic tilt-away steering column, power liftgate and HomeLink® integrated remote.

BMW gives you a 3.0-liter inline six-cylinder engine that’s turbocharged to 300 hp and 300 lb/ft of torque. It’s an engine that’s packing a lot more complexity and potential sources of unreliability than Acura’s 3.7-liter V6. The MDX also serves up 300 hp thanks to both its extra displacement and higher 11.2:1 compression ratio that extracts more work from every drop of fuel. Both engines feature four valves per cylinder, but Acura operates the valve train with a single overhead camshaft per bank of cylinders, again reducing complexity compared to the BMWs dual overhead camshaft setup.

The MDX is longer than the X5 by half an inch and wider by nearly two and a half inches, resulting in more front shoulder, head- and legroom and more rear legroom and shoulder room. A 67.7-inch front track and 67.5-inch rear track stably plant the MDX on the road; the stance on the X5 is narrower with a 64.7-inch front and 65-inch rear track. You’d think that a vehicle capable of hauling a maximum cargo volume of 83.5 cubic feet––nearly 10 cubic feet more than the BMW’s 75.2 cubic feet of total space––and seven total passengers standard versus the five-person capacity of the BMW, would pay a significant penalty in weight, but the MDX is significantly more svelte than the X5, tipping the scales at 4,550 pounds, 410 pounds lighter than the 4,960-pound X5.

Both automakers offer options aplenty for their luxury crossovers including technology, navigation and performance enhancements. When going that route, the Acura wins out over the BMW again by offering options like an Active Damper System, (which effectively controls body motions), GPS-linked climate control and a fantastic ELS Surround-Sound audio system without going racing off for the $80,000 mark you can push an X5 up to.

The 2012 Acura MDX clearly bests its German rival. Make the smart choice and take a test drive of the MDX today.

2011 Pearl White MDX Advanced
... OEM towing, 20 mm wheel adapters,
... rails/crossbars, black wheel well trims,
... side windows acrylic deflectors,
... Michelin Latitude Diamaris HP 285/45R19,
... Full size spare tire,
... 6000 Kelvin HID's
2010 Acura TL Tech.
2001 Mercedes ML 320
2005 Mercedes ML 500 AMG Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolson37 View Post

I believe I am highly qualified to comment on this, I previously owned a 2007 and a 2010 MDX, I recently traded my 2010 in on a 2011 X5 Diesel, it was a leftover, It had an MSRP of 62k, I paid 48k for it, I know I might be flamed here ( since this and Acura forum ) Here is my honest take so far with about 3000 miles on my X5:

1. Fit and finish- no comparison IMO
2. Driving and handling- Tight German feel along with stability at highway
speeds, my 2010 never felt as planted as my X5
3. Gas mileage- not a fair comparison since I have a diesel, city average
of 22 verse 16 in MDX, highway 26-27 verse 20-21
4. I drive is easy as can be since it has been updated with shortcuts
5. Heated steering wheel, keyless access, never realized how great these
things are, N/A on Mdx
6. Reliabilty, can not comment on this as I have so far had no issues

All I can say is drive one, only you can make the decision, for me it was a
no brainer for the deal I received, again only 48k , even includes Nav

2011 BMW X5 Diesel
Former- 2010 Acura Mdx

2011 INFINITI M37X

WHITE , EBONY

It all boils down to which emblem do you want more or can afford. IMO the MDX gives you more for your money, which is basically what that email's point is, but the X5 is more "prestigious" I guess.

Anyone who owns a MDX and thinks the X5 is a greater vehicle I would like to ask this question: Why do you own a MDX and not BMX X5?

I got that same email from a local dealer and was not surprised to see all the standard features mentioned in the email that are only available as expensive options on a BMW. Ever tried building a car on the BMW site?

MDX is all about value. Nothing more Nothing less
IMHO MDX base and/or Tech is a better VALUE compare to X5
As you go high up in price...i.e Advance/ent MDX starts loosing to X5.

The quality of material/technology used in MDX is not as good/cutting edge competition

Since MDX uses old technology (AKA time tested) it has no realibility issue.

I have 2008 MDX bought new in Sept 2008 and at that time:
- No push button start
- No direct injection
- 5 speed transmission (Hyundai was up to 6 or 7 speed)
- Last generation low resolution screen. Probably build on GEN 1 or Gen 2 fab.
- DVD based system.
- Nav display quality - shows color band and color drift Vs angle with polarized sunglasses. I did complain about this issue but the dealership showed me 5 more 2008 MDX with same issues and hence its normal.

I can list more...and lot of these have been improved.

The reliability card that Honda and Toyota had for some time is fading. Speak with someone with 2000 to 2004 Accords, TL, and MDX.

Look at the sale of new CIVIC - once a benchmark

In the end I ended up with MDX because it was the best value (AKA compromise) between price, size, drivability, and what it offers. Nothing can beat that...upcoming Infiniti JX might be a threat

------
2008 MDX Tech + PTG
Valley Hitch
Sterling Grey with Ebony
--
2011 Lexus ES350
Black with Parchment
--
2000 Infiniti I30 - Totalled by red light runner
1995 Infiniti G20 - Sold
1994 Nissan Sentra - Sold

It really depends on what you value most. The truth is that you get more with the MDX with the same amount of $$$ than what you can get with the German counterpart. Reliability is a no brainer. However, it's more fun to drive a German car. What it boils down to is what fits your needs. If it's not for the reliability of the MDX, I probably would have gone with the X5, as I love the handling of German car (note: I had a 08 Q7 4.2 and loved it for the driving experience)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ductman View Post
I believe I am highly qualified to comment on this, I previously owned a 2007 and a 2010 MDX, I recently traded my 2010 in on a 2011 X5 Diesel, it was a leftover, It had an MSRP of 62k, I paid 48k for it, I know I might be flamed here ( since this and Acura forum ) Here is my honest take so far with about 3000 miles on my X5:

1. Fit and finish- no comparison IMO
2. Driving and handling- Tight German feel along with stability at highway
speeds, my 2010 never felt as planted as my X5
3. Gas mileage- not a fair comparison since I have a diesel, city average
of 22 verse 16 in MDX, highway 26-27 verse 20-21
4. I drive is easy as can be since it has been updated with shortcuts
5. Heated steering wheel, keyless access, never realized how great these
things are, N/A on Mdx
6. Reliabilty, can not comment on this as I have so far had no issues

All I can say is drive one, only you can make the decision, for me it was a
no brainer for the deal I received, again only 48k , even includes Nav
I have not owned X5 but do own a 5 series and have been a passenger in X5.

I agree that there is no comparison between fit and finish. BMW is also superior in road feel and handling. Heated steering is a great feature. Heated seats in BMWs heat faster than MDX.

Reliability wise there is no comparison between Acura and BMW. I had my fair share of problems and have seen people in service department with X5 stalling in the middle of the road with low pressure fuel pump failure. My friend has an older X5 and it is expensive to maintain.

07 Elite Black/Biege
08 BMW 550i
08 Mercedes GL550
Sponsored Links
Advertisement