2017 Green DVD Map Update - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By mrgold35

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-01-2017 Thread Starter

2017 Green DVD Map Update

Yes, I still have my 2010 MDX....and never updated the GPS maps. I think I will treat her with a new GPS update this year. I only found this at $99.00....at...h**p://acuranavi.navigation.com/product/Catalog/AcuraNA_Acura_MDX_2010/2017-Green-DVD-Map-Update/sku/Acura%20Green%20DVD%202017/en_US/AcuraNA/USD

Does anyone know of a better price or a discount code for a lower price?

I still use my phone mostly, but would like to update anyway. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2017

$99 is the lowest I've seen it go and it goes that price every spring, but i can't remember if the 2G discs can be shared... May want to ask the 2G subforum about that.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 06-02-2017 Thread Starter

Well.....I broke down and ordered the GPS Upgrade disc. They give you FREE shipping, but they add sales tax. Damn government...

If you order, you will need to know the following:
Database ID
Device ID
VIN ID

You can get this info from your Head Unit by -
Turn On
Info
Other
System / Device Info

Old 06-07-2017 Thread Starter

OK....got GPS Update disc today. The instructions state that the MDX needs the engine running for about 30 minutes or so, to prevent battery drain. The MDX should not be driven during this time. The last step is misleading.....it states the background update takes about 5 hours with the engine running, but you may eject the disc, or turn off the engine, at any time.
Dose this mean the final portion of the update happens in the background with the engine off and parked?

Has anyone updated their GPS system and would like to share some shortcuts or clues?

It's a 2010 MDX Tech with the GREEN Disc.

Thanks...
Old 06-27-2017

I have a 2014 RLX.
I ordered the Brown 2017 disc set to upgrade.
After following the instructions the system failed to update AND corrupted the system to where nothing came on the screen except a message that in part stated "If you continue to see this message flash contact your dealer."
I spent the better part of 3 days attempting to reinstall all to no avail.
I set up an appointment with my dealer, Jackson Acura in Atlanta for them to figure it out.
Long story short after 3 hours they decided the disc trashed the system completely and the nav system and hard drive needed replacement.
Took 3 weeks to get the parts which they installed and it has been working great.
The repair was under warranty so no cost to me. My rep at the dealership contacted NavTEQ and got me a refund. Thank you Brandon at Jackson.
I doubt I will ever again have a NavTEQ disc update done as in reality not much really changes over the life of the car and certainly with smartphones giving you GPS directions. Going forward I expect we will have systems that will use maps with Apple CarPlay, etc so will have realtime updates thus not needing CD to update. If you really, really need to have the update take it to a dealer and have them do it even if it costs a bit more. This way if it fails it is on their dollar.
Old 06-30-2017

Garage
I updated my map twice on my 11 MDX (2014 and 2017). The process went fine both times. I made the mistake the first time and just turned on the power to center console to load the map because I didn't think the 20-30 min map load would kill the battery; and it did. Lucky for me, I had a battery charger in the garage and recharged the (weak ass) OEM battery. There several parts to the +10 MDX hard-drive base navi map update:

- submit VIN, Device ID, and database version to Acura Navi
- receive one time use pass code unique to your MDX to enter before DVD upload
- initial load time is about 20-30 minutes of map DVD, eject when done, and toss in junk drawer forever
- this starts the second download over Satellite/XM of the rest of the database for 4-5 hours total download time. The downloads only happen when MDX is running (pauses download when MDX is off), total download time might depend on strength of signal from satellite, you can still use the navi system as normal during the XM download, and I had my rear Ent XM channel disable when it was downloading the database.

Map updates only come out in the Fall for $199, prices in late winter/early spring down to $149, and by the start of winter the prices are $99. I've never seen the price below $99. As far as I know, no updates are made on the DVD disk the entire year until a new disk is released in the next fall. You can only use the hard-drive Navi update disk on your vehicle because of the VIN+DeviceID+Database+Passcode thingy.

DO NOT, purchase any used navi disks on eBay for your +10 MDX hard-drive based navi in the future because it will not work. The older CD-ROM based Navi systems could use old update disks (my TSX and RDX are CD-ROM based and I purchase used update disks on eBay).
J-Spec DJS likes this.

19 MDX sh-sh-awd Adv Fathom Blue Pearl w/ Graystone
Old 01-22-2019

I am also interested in this issue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: