I was scammed - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018 Thread Starter

I was scammed

I recently purchased a 2006 from a private seller. It was listed as having 65,000 miles and by the original owner. The interior is stellar for a vehicle this old. It drove well. Everything looked tip top. I paid $7,900.
At the DMV two days later everything started to unravel. They told me the seller had released liability to someone else, but since I was standing there with title in hand they began the process of signing it over to me. Then they determined the smog certificate was fake, and sent me away to get it smogged..it didn’t pass. Apparently the check engine light has been tampered with.
Took it to a mechanic. Laundry list of problems. Top of that list is that the odometer is wrong. Carfax (I didn’t use it prior to purchasing...lesson learned) states that the vehicle had 155,00 miles in October of 2017.
I won’t bother writing about how awful this experience is. No point. I’d really just like to put the whole thing (including the MDX) behind me.
My question is, has anyone here been a victim of a scam like this, and if so what can be done with a vehicle with inaccurate mileage? I’m assuming no body will want to buy it. And in order to get it to pass smog I’ll have to shell out another $900 to replace the catalytic converter. I need to do that to get the title in my name. Unless, are there people out there that would buy it to “piece it out”? It’s actually pretty clean.
I’d really love to hear from you guys. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018

Its not uncommon to get scammed like this, I sincerely do not know what legal options you have to move on.
But considering this is a Honda I would not care that the engine has 155,000miles that is breaking in for a honda, If the only thing that is wrong is the missing cat then you can be certain that the engine can go another 150K...

It sucks to be scammed but the if the car seems solid it probably is.

2G MDX Tech & Entert // Sport Running Board // F&R Fender Garnish // Wheel Locks // K&N Filter making a billion horsepower...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018

Yikes - this sucks indeed!

It’s illegal to misrepresent the milage and smog sticker. Though I don’t know what that means as it seems law enforcement could probably care less about these crimes.

Do you have the contact info of the seller, you should sue them in small claims - what a dick!

More than likely someone else was in the process of buying it and maybe decided to have a mechanic check it out first before fully paying for it and it probably blew up from there.

For better or worse this is why I buy new and run my cars until they are no longer financially economical to own - I know not helpful but I just don’t trust anyone nor those 180 point checks CPO. No one is doing 180 point checks. If you are a ball buster and run that same check after buying the car you can rape the dealer wfor free stuff that fails the check.

I heard of folks that have rolled back mileage on 3rd gens (sadly it’s possible) to make it under milage for lease returns -nothing is safe. But yes always check car fax but that’s not always accurate.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019

A while ago I was looking at a 1996 Chevy Impala SS at one of the "Nationwide" no haggle type dealers with a very nice building and a very large lot..You can figure who that might be.

Well, the car was a showroom new like beauty with about 10,000 miles on it and they had done a XXX point check on it. Yes, all the boxes on the sheet stuck to the back window were checked off!!

Now, this car was in the nice tile floor showroom and two or three other cars on the floor had be be moved, they did and drove this beauty outside thru the large doors for me to test drive. WOW this car looked great and smelled new����.

Upon driving it a few miles to check it out, I found that the heater didn't work one lick except for the fan so this was not just a fuse, and it was in the 40 degree range near Chicago.
So much for those XXX point checks. I walked off of course, even though the sales person in the car insisted it would be fixed and they would do another XXXX point check this time around. Ha Ha last laugh was mine

I just laughed and left him standing next to the car.

Last edited by carbonizer; 01-10-2019 at 09:26 PM. Reason: More info and spelling.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019

It is a pity that it happened to you. Thank you for sharing your experience.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019

Kril......

Lousy experience you've had. Reminds me of a bad choice I made on a Motorhome deal with a lying seller. However, onward - don't see what state you live in from your data that shows with post. Here in a rural county of GA where I live, there is no smog inspection .... Yet. I live in dread fear of when there will be. Possibly you can find a buyer in such a position as here where the smogging would not be required. I agree that high miles on these Honda products should not preclude a re-sale once you have clean title - but I guess you are over a barrel and can't get clean title until it is smogged. So it sounds like you have the proverbial Hobson's choice. Wish there was a good alternative. Maybe a salvage yard cat converter? Where the salvage yard has authority to smog vehicles? Never give up!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019

If you know where the seller lives, drive the car to his house and floor it into his garage door and hold the pedal down until you come out the back side of the garage.

If you don't know where the seller lives, ask him to meet again because you want to pay him extra for the car, because its so good. When you see him, push the pedal to the floor and when he lands on top of your hood drive really fast until he agrees to pay you back .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement