Lowering the MDX - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-14-2005 Thread Starter

Lowering the MDX

Hi there! This is my first post to this forum. I've been wondering if anyone has lowered their MDX. I'm interested in this as it might theoretically improve ride, handling, mileage, etc. What do you think?

I forsee two ways to do this - one is with shorter springs, the other is with lower profile tires. Are there any aftermarket springs recommended? Is this a common mod? I don't plan on doing any offroading.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2005
Super Senior Member

Re: Lowering the MDX

Quote:
Originally posted by cmb13
Hi there! This is my first post to this forum. I've been wondering if anyone has lowered their MDX. I'm interested in this as it might theoretically improve ride, handling, mileage, etc. What do you think?

I forsee two ways to do this - one is with shorter springs, the other is with lower profile tires. Are there any aftermarket springs recommended? Is this a common mod? I don't plan on doing any offroading.

Thanks!
cmb13. This is not a very common mod. I believe I have only heard of one member who did this. One of the reasons people buy an suv is the higher ride height.

I would not use a different wheel/tire diameter than stock. This may cause problems with the VSA, etc. If you use shorter springs, I would think the entire suspension would have to be replaced due to the weight of the vehicle.

Do a search on "lowering" and see if that gets you some hits. Good luck with this and let us know how it goes.

17 X Tech -- White Diamond Pearl/Espresso
08 X Sport/Ent -- Sterling Gray/Ebony

03 MDX Touring/RES - GONE

02 Honda S2000
10 Honda CRV LX
12 Toyota Avalon Limited
12 Toyota Highlander V6
16 Lexus GS350
Old 06-15-2005
Super Senior Member

Re: Re: Lowering the MDX

Quote:
Originally posted by phins2rt

cmb13. This is not a very common mod. I believe I have only heard of one member who did this. One of the reasons people buy an suv is the higher ride height.

The latest thing showing up around here is lowered pickup trucks. Talk about useless........

Old 06-15-2005

Re: Lowering the MDX

Quote:
Originally posted by cmb13

Thanks!
I think there was one person on this board who lowered their MDX with H&R Honda Odyssey springs. I actually am waiting on a set myself. The shop I ordered them from says that they're on backorder and is still waiting for H&R to send them out. I don't know if this is B.S. or what, but I know I don't have them yet.

I'm pretty sure lowering it would improve the handling, but not too much else.

2003 Redrock Touring on 22's
1996 Honda Passport
2002 Crystal White Lexus GS430

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-16-2005

better handling, stiffer ride. don't expect the stock struts to last too long if you go with lowering springs. you'll need to go with aftermarket ones eventually and pay for installation all over again.

i have no idea how the vsa functions, but i've never had it on any other car either, so life won't end if you have to drive without it. (actually, considering what it does, maybe...... but you know what i mean) having said that, WTF would you want to go with smaller diameter wheels for??? whether it's smaller rims or lower pro tires, it'll look ghey on the mdx if that's how you plan on lowering.

you didn't mention why you wanted the lower ride. but if it's for looks, drop the x and go with 255/45s on 18s for a decent ride.

as for him lowering the x, let him do what he wants, it's his car. personally, i'm curious to see how it turns out.

btw, welcome to the board!
Old 06-16-2005 Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I'm only talking about 2-3 inches; I'm not trying for a ghetto low-rider look. Seems like a pretty unpopular thing to do, though.
Old 06-17-2005

Send a message via AIM to JL889
The memeber who lowered was ME! Yah It worked really good, I had 19 inch rims and lowered it to kill the gap. Its very clean looking and IMO handles much better.

The MDX
Before Drop

After Drop

My New Ride

Joe Lau
01 Acura MDX Touring/Navi
04 Projector conversion
HID Low/Fog
Mesa Beige Metallic
Racing Hart S15 19's
Crossdrilled Rotors
MB Quarts
Kenwood KVT-911DVD
2x Kicker Solo Baric L7
2x Kicker Amps
2x Vizualogic Headrest Tv's
Old 06-17-2005

The drop looks good.......except for the dirty wheel wells. Just playing.

2004 Touring NAV/RES
Blue Pearl/Quartz/Dealer installed Tow Pkg. SOLD
2006 Nissan Armada LE 4x4 Nav/DVD
1993 Toyota Camry LE White/Blue
1971 Cadillac Coupe Deville Yellow/Tan
Old 06-17-2005

Are there any repurcussions on your warranty by lowering. I would not mind having mine lowered 2 inches so that it would make it easier for my son to transfer from his wheelchair into the vehicle. What was the approximate cost?

G

Happy Trails
2004 Black MDX Touring
Old 06-17-2005 Thread Starter

See, that's what I'm looking for. A few inches down, a little better handling. Can you tell us how you did it and what products were necessary? New springs only? What brand? Finally, how much did it all cost?

Thanks!

cmb13
Old 06-17-2005

There are no problem with lowering the X. I live in AL and my MDX now has 85K miles on it, its been lowered since 25K. The struts are in good condition everything is great. The Spring were bought from
http://www.optauto.com ,Search for Honda Odyssey and you'll find the H&R kit. Its just lowering springs. I paid $150 to have it installed and I also got a allianment to make sure everything was good. If you guys have any more questions just let me know.

Joe Lau
04 Projector conversion
HID Low/Fog
Mesa Beige Metallic
Racing Hart S15 19's
Crossdrilled Rotors
MB Quarts
Kenwood KVT-911DVD
2x Kicker Solo Baric L7
2x Kicker Amps
Old 06-17-2005

OT, but how are the vizualogic screens????
Old 06-17-2005

Wow! you are really into lowering things, eh? You even lowered the basketball rim there!

Quote:
Originally posted by JL889
The memeber who lowered was ME! Yah It worked really good, I had 19 inch rims and lowered it to kill the gap. Its very clean looking and IMO handles much better.

The MDX
Before Drop

After Drop

...eRauL...2001 Mesa-Beige MDX-touring, sunroof visor, cargo cover, regretfully no NAVI, burnt a hole in cargomat, Silverstar lowbeam, no other real mod yet
Old 06-17-2005

got another pic of the drop? i'd love to see it in daylight from a lower side shot...... in a perfect world.

looking good otherwise. the rh's look niiiice. how's the ride on them 19s?
Old 06-17-2005

Heres a pic from Nopi Last year.

The 19's rode great. I still got em. Anyone wanna buy em from me. The MDX since has been stripped down and is stock and now belongs to www.jtreeproperties.com So its all gravy.

Joe Lau
04 Projector conversion
HID Low/Fog
Mesa Beige Metallic
Racing Hart S15 19's
Crossdrilled Rotors
MB Quarts
Kenwood KVT-911DVD
2x Kicker Solo Baric L7
2x Kicker Amps