Recommendations for Preventative Maintenance - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019 Thread Starter

Recommendations for Preventative Maintenance

Hi. I am looking for recommendations for preventative maintenance.

I have a 2007 MDX with only 34,000 miles on it. I am the original owner, and yes, I do not get to drive it all that much.

Since I have not racked up mileage on my MDX, the only maintenance minder that I ever get is for the motor oil change. I change the oil every 7 or 8 months, even though there is only about 1200 miles of use. My MDX runs and drives great. When I am not driving it, it is garage kept, which I think greatly reduces wear and tear.

I have not done any other significant maintenance to date.

Since my MDX is 12 years old, I am concerned that some components are at risk for failure even though I have not put on many miles.

Next week, I am having a dealer install a new timing belt, water pump, drive belt and tensioner. I will also have the dealer do a 4 wheel alignment.

I am planning to do the following maintenance on my own:
1 - Transmission fluid change (will do the 3x change since ATF is 12 years old).
2 - Transfer assembly fluid change.
3 - Rear differential fluid change.
4 - Upper and lower radiator hoses.

Does anyone have recommendations for other preventative maintenance work that should be done given the age of the MDX? I am most concerned with things that can break unexpectedly.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations and feedback.

Joe

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019

Your are on the right track. Here are a few other suggestions given the age of your X.

1. Brake fluid flush - recommended every 3 years regardless of miles due to brake fluid's nature of attracting water. That water naturally contributes to internal corrosion of lines, etc., and will rot the system from the inside out.

2. Tires - they have the same 7 years and out recommendation of the timing belt, though your garage kept scenario helps to reduce the deterioration of the rubber it does not stop it. At 34K yours are still original?

3. This era of MDX is known for the transmission cooler that is internal to the radiator failing and causing trans fluid and coolant to mix. Having coolant mixed into the trans fluid will cause the transmission to fail. One solution to avoid this is to add an external trans cooler (there may already be one in place) routing the transmission lines direct to the cooler and capping off the lines into/out of the radiator after draining the fluid from that internal component to avoid the mixing of fluids. Naturally changing the water pump will effectively result in a coolant change which was due at 10 years regardless of miles.

4 - Personally I wouldn't be too concerned about the radiator hoses themselves, but I have encountered an issue with the hose clamps. Mine has 160K on it and I don't know how much of it's life it spent garaged, but the original clamps (spring/constant tension) seem to have lost their grip so to speak and I have had several incidents of the upper radiator hose popping off while driving. The first time I thought it was due to the shop that put a new radiator in right before I bought it not getting the hose and clamp seated properly, so I made sure it was and re-filled the radiator only to have it pop back off several hundred miles later. I also had the clamp on the hose coming from the t-stat housing fail and start leaking, so I went about replacing those clamps with regular hose clamps. The subject of hoses and age came up on the Honda Odyssey forum a few weeks ago and many report theirs still original at 15+ years/300K+ miles under much harsher conditions than yours. They are still rubber which would make me think they would react to time the same way as tires or the timing belt, but on my '07 Ody with 200K+ and the X there is no sign of softening or brittle rubber. They all look really good still.

Good luck!

2007 MDX Tech Billet Silver
2007 Honda Odyssey EX-L Nav/Res
30+ Years Automotive & Related Industry Experience
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019 Thread Starter

Hi Pkrface,

Many thanks for your recommendations and thoughts.

I was thinking about doing a brake fluid flush. I will likely do it when I replace the brake pads in the near future. I had not been considering this as too high a priority as the brakes feel as good today as they did 12 years ago. But, I understand the point about water accumulation leading to corrosion, so I will add that to my list.

Yes, the tires are the original Bridgestone Duelers. I have them checked for dry rot and other issues every 6 months, and the tire dealer says there is no sign of any issues. Nevertheless, I was concerned with the age, and have already purchased a new set of tires, which are now waiting at my local Costco for me to drop by to have them installed. The Costco tire manager who saw the 12 year old tires a week ago attributes the prolonged tire life and lack of dry rot to the car being in a garage.

I understand your point about the trans cooler. I also saw a couple of threads on the forum regarding trans fluid and ATF intermixing. Based on your note, I now have a clearer understanding of the situation. I will look into whether I already have an external trans cooler, and what my options are for adding one if I do not already have one.

The radiator hoses look and feel fine, but I will probably swap them out as it is a small enough investment for some additional peace of mind. When I checked out the hoses yesterday, I noticed the original spring compression hose clamps, and had already decided that I would use the more traditional screw hose clamps when I replace the hoses.

Thanks again,
Joe

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019

Sounds good Joe. Just an additional note: it would make sense to have the hoses swapped at the same time the timing belt/waterpump is being done. There isn't really any way to R&R the lower radiator hose without losing all the coolant just like you lose much of it doing the water pump. Might as well do the coolant once and be done.

2007 MDX Tech Billet Silver
2007 Honda Odyssey EX-L Nav/Res
30+ Years Automotive & Related Industry Experience
Sponsored Links
Advertisement