Battery Died from the Deep Freeze - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019 Thread Starter

Battery Died from the Deep Freeze

Not on my MDX but on my Accord!

As the weather started turning cold the remote starter was giving me some issues at a cold start (after 12 hours of sitting) and it would not start the car but if I manually put the key in it would start. The remote start would work fine when it was being used and not sitting.

Yesterday it was brutally cold and the battery was so dead all I heard was clicking for a few seconds to nothing and after I jumped it I had to manually enter the radio code to unlock it. I was able to jump it immediately and all has been well since.

I believe the battery is about 4 years old (Diehard Gold)

I just happened to be near an autozone and I had them test it and they said it’s a good battery.

I tested it when I got home and I got strong readings.

Do I chalk this up to it being ice brick cold or should I replace the battery? In the past I’d normally just buy a new battery but this group has made me more conscious to not needing to spend unnecessarily.

Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019

A trick I use in below zero weather: Attach a battery charger to the car at night. When I get up in the morning, plug the charger in. By the time I am ready to drive, the battery has been warmed up and cranks much better.

2014 SH-AWD TECH
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019

I have encountered various levels of battery testing ability out there, so maybe get a 2nd opinion. No doubt this unique weather has challenged many a battery. How many CCA's does your battery have? I just did a search at Napa for my '07 X and the range of what was available was 620-800. Given the choice I will always choose the highest I can get since I live in the mid west. Here Bowling's Battery Cold-Cranking Amp Temp Adjuster is a link to a CCA calculator that allows you to adjust the temperature to see the effect. I put in a 650CCA battery and adjusted the temp to -20F. The available CCA's for a brand new battery would drop to 457CCA. That is a significant impact. Now consider the battery is several years old and at 80% CCA's which is the typically the lowest threshold still considered "good". Now 80% that 650CCA battery has 520CCA's at 0F and drops to 366CCA at -20F. If you had the 800CCA battery in that scenario you would have 563CCA at -20F when it's new and at 80% you would have 640CCA at 0F and 450CCA at -20F, so you can see how the 800 CCA battery would perform nearly as good at 80% as a 650CCA battery would brand new. I will admit it doesn't take much for me to just put a new battery in. A dead battery can ruin an otherwise perfectly good day lol.

2007 MDX Tech Billet Silver
2007 Honda Odyssey EX-L Nav/Res
30+ Years Automotive & Related Industry Experience

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019

Yes, Welcome to our Canadian weather! The cold will effect your battery as the chemical reaction that creates the electrons to produce the electricity is greatly reduced in these extreme cold conditions. As stated a trickle charger is one way or better yet a battery warmer blanket that surrounds the battery and you plug in. The condition of your battery can add to the cranking difficulty but depending on the cold even a new 800 cca can have a time starting. -40 and below if left sitting in this temp. so no, i would not be so quick to get a new battery in your case especially after they say that the weather is going to return to normal.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkrface View Post
I will admit it doesn't take much for me to just put a new battery in. A dead battery can ruin an otherwise perfectly good day lol.
Wow - lots of great information - thank you.
I too would normally just put a new battery in. I’ll check the production day and if it’s over 4 years old I think I’ll just replace it.

I don’t want to get stuck where I cannot get a jump. A good portable jumper is about the same price as a new batttery at Costco so I don’t see a reason to buy one of them - if the battery is going I don’t want to wait until it’s gone.

The only thing throwing me off is it’s readinh good numbers and it’s been working fine since I jumped. I admit I have stated it up (remote start) twice in the last 12 hours. Once before I went to bed and again when I woke up today.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019 Thread Starter

I had trouble with the remote starter a few days ago again when it was cold. it didnt start - it kept trying to buy it didn’t start.

No problem manually starting it though.

Then it got warm (really warm) and no problems.
This morning a bit of a struggle but it remote started.

I had a Costco errand list and as I paid my obligatory $300+ tab I walked by the tire center and just bought a new battery. I figured why get stuck somewhere or buy a $60 jump starter when I can buy an $85 battery to last me a few years.

That’s what I did. I sort of feel odd about it because it still feels strong but when it’s cold it struggles or doesn’t start which to me means a battery on its way out.

Preventive maintenance
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019 Thread Starter

I replaced my Sears Diehard battery with the Costco Interstate Battery today.

The Diehard was 5 years old and I really felt bad replacing it because it was still a good battery but it completely died when it was 10 degrees but all good since I jump started it.

Wow! What a fantastic battery - I wonder if their tires are as good.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019

Very interesting read, as I sit here at the Acura dealership. The service advisor just told me my battery failed their test.
Over the deep freeze here in WA last month, the was one day where my MDX would not start. I jumped it, took it for a long drive, and it had not been a problem since. Yet I'm here shopping for a replacement. Just interesting what the weather does. But I'm with the poster, better to eliminate the issue by replacing. When I was younger I could prolly squeeze another year out of this battery. LoL... but nowadays, with a family and a real need for reliability, I don't take as many risks.

With that said, any reccomendations on batteries? I was thinking Costco already, unless someone has a better idea. Thanks in advance!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019 Thread Starter

If you have a Costco membership get it there!

42 month free replacement for $87.

If you have a recent Advance model (one that cuts power at stops) you’ll need the AGM battery which is significantly more and I am not sure of Costco carries that type.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement