Looking for tow hitch for a hybrid - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019 Thread Starter

Looking for tow hitch for a hybrid

Hello all,

I am looking for a towing package for a 2019 MDX Hybrid. I just want to be able to use my bike rack which mounts on a standard hitch.

Any thoughts on what worked what did not work? I would love to use the standard OEM hitch but I was told that will not fit due to exhaust.

Thanks Rob

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019

If Acura does not yet offer one then your best bet is to get with a local trailer specialty shop that would be willing to help you with a custom hitch if necessary. I wouldn't be surprised if they would start with one that is made for a standard MDX and modify it to work with the hybrid.

2007 MDX Tech Billet Silver
2007 Honda Odyssey EX-L Nav/Res
30+ Years Automotive & Related Industry Experience
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019 Thread Starter

I talked to the dealer yesterday. They informed the standard hitch would fit. So is. Going to order one off of amazon and try it .

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019

How did your installation go? I am considering the same thing, for bikes also, though I only have roof racks from my previous vehicle, not a hitch rack. The Acura roof rail installation is pretty simple and they are available on Amazon too.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Compl

Just closing this thread out. I bought a Acura OEM Trailer Hitch from Curry using Amazon (search Amazon for: Acura 2017-2019 MDX TRAILER HITCH AND HARNESS KIT(NON A-SPEC) it worked perfect on my Hybrid.

It came with everything needed (instructions, bolts, zip ties, harness, hitch, trailer hitch, pin). It took me a little over an hour to install it myself. The hardest part was hold up the hitch while I screwed in the bolts. You will need the following tools do this your self: Pliers, 19MM Socket, 10MM socket and razer blade knife.

The only gotcha I had was the special clips that hold on the bumper to the vehicle bracket. You need to use pliers and pinch the indents at the top and then you can pull the insert down. I have never seen a clip like this before so it took me a good 5 minutes taking pictures of it from the top to see how it works.

rob
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Completed Install Of OEM Hitch on 2019 Hybrid

Just closing this thread out. I bought a Acura OEM Trailer Hitch from Curry using Amazon (Search Amazon for: Acura 2017-2019 MDX TRAILER HITCH AND HARNESS KIT(NON A-SPEC) ) it worked perfect on my Hybrid. It came with everything needed (instructions, bolts, zip ties, harness, hitch, trailer hitch, pin). It took me a little over an hour to install it myself. The hardest part was hold up the hitch while I screwed in the bolts. You will need the following to do this your self: Pliers, 19MM Socket, 10MM socket and razer blade knife.

The only gotcha I had was the special clips that hold on the bumper to the vehicle bracket. You need to use pliers and pinch the indents at the top and then you can pull the insert down. I have never seen a clip like this before so it took me a good 5 minutes taking pictures of it from the top to see how it works. I put a picture for the next person.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: