2014 MDX Elite Brake Job - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019 Thread Starter

2014 MDX Elite Brake Job

Hello Folks!

I am a usual lurker on this site - although I do not post much. I will try to contribute more with my experiences so far.

I have a 2014 MDX Elite (Canada) with just under 70K KM. Looks and still functions like new - at least somewhat

The bells have tolled on my brakes - and the bill always comes due and I wanted to share my brake cost for those needing an idea of pricing.

I got a quote from Policaro Acura in Brampton - parts and labour (as I will be headed down there next week) for $1168 taxes included. (they charge $274 per axle for labour).
If I wanted to purchase the hardware and get it installed at a shop I know, it would cost me $122 per rotor and $91 x 2 sets of pads (front and back) = $670. Outside labour would cost me $150-$180 = ~$850. I can also do it myself and save the ~$200.

Since I purchased the vehicle, the brakes were too soft/mushy for me and my experience so far is that I am not very confident with the brakes in emergency situations (since purchase).
Has anyone gone after-market or have any recommendations on this? I don't have any problems purchasing from Acura - just that I was hoping to have brakes with a bit more stopping power/bite to it (longetivity is also welcomed).

Hope this helps some and I would surely apprecitae thoughts/recommendations.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Hey everyone,
sorry, I haven't gotten any recommendations on the brakes and thought I bring this up again...
Can anyone offer any insights for better rotors and pads?

My brakes are "mushy" - since inception. I was hoping to gain some perspective on something with better braking power, more "bite" so to speak.
I am not very confident with the brakes I currently have (I know they need to be changed).

Thanks for your input.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGuard View Post
Hello Folks!

I am a usual lurker on this site - although I do not post much. I will try to contribute more with my experiences so far.

I have a 2014 MDX Elite (Canada) with just under 70K KM. Looks and still functions like new - at least somewhat

The bells have tolled on my brakes - and the bill always comes due and I wanted to share my brake cost for those needing an idea of pricing.

I got a quote from Policaro Acura in Brampton - parts and labour (as I will be headed down there next week) for $1168 taxes included. (they charge $274 per axle for labour).
If I wanted to purchase the hardware and get it installed at a shop I know, it would cost me $122 per rotor and $91 x 2 sets of pads (front and back) = $670. Outside labour would cost me $150-$180 = ~$850. I can also do it myself and save the ~$200.

Since I purchased the vehicle, the brakes were too soft/mushy for me and my experience so far is that I am not very confident with the brakes in emergency situations (since purchase).
Has anyone gone after-market or have any recommendations on this? I don't have any problems purchasing from Acura - just that I was hoping to have brakes with a bit more stopping power/bite to it (longetivity is also welcomed).

Hope this helps some and I would surely apprecitae thoughts/recommendations.

Cheers.
Hi, so as I remember, someone in this form actually recommend EBC brand,
https://www.autoanything.com/brakes/ebc-brake-kits
The whole set is under 500 with coupon, and I will not consider OEM for brakes and rotor.
Hope it helps.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago

There are many suggestions re brake pads , please do a search and you will find plenty of suggestions that meet your requirements! Last discussion was less than a month ago on brake suggestions.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Thanks. I will definitely check out the reviews of EBC...I may end up getting it directly from Acura...just for peace of mind.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago

In my experience with the second gen in Canada, there are no brake alternatives to OEM brakes at a price similar or less expensive than the OEM. EBC might be better, but they are significantly more expensive. And please do not try any of those slotted/drilled rotors and "performance" pads made in Canada - they will not last more than 5-6 months at best followed by horrible squealing starting day 2 after installation.

After changing brakes all around several times in 1.5 years, I purchased the OEM brakes back in 2015, installed them and forgot about this nightmare ever since. I'm going over 60K kms since then and the brakes are still good (just serviced them the other week along with the seasonal tire change as I always do).

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Anything is possible with the right tools and motivation!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago

Because I spend a fair amount of time on the Honda Odyssey board and the Ody and MDX share basically the same platform I will share one suggestion from there. Several posters have taken to upgrading the brake hoses to stainless steel in lieu of the OEM rubber and report better brake feel due to the lack of expansion in the stainless steel vs the rubber hoses. Haven't done it myself yet, but you may want to try it as the Ody frequently gets similar poor brake feel complaints.

2007 MDX Tech Billet Silver
2007 Honda Odyssey EX-L Nav/Res
30+ Years Automotive & Related Industry Experience
Sponsored Links
Advertisement