turn signal problem - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010 Thread Starter

Unhappy turn signal problem

The left turn signal on my 2002 MDX is on all the time. When I switch it to turn right, both turn signals blink line emergency flashers. Can one of you kind people post a section of the circuit diagram showing the connection from the combination switch to the turn signal relay to the light bulbs? In the mean time I removed fuse #10 and I'm using old fashioned hand signals (cold brrrr).

Thanks in Advance,

JXL

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010
Super Senior Member

These don’t appear to be factory manual diagrams but probably accurate.

http://www.sailor.lib.md.us/cgi-bin/ebsco?DB=auto

Enter 1111111 then navigate to Wiring Diagrams/Exterior Lights/Exterior Lamps Circuit.

Stuck relay?

'06 MDX
Touring/NAV/RES
midnightMDX’s
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010 Thread Starter

Thanks for the link!

I forgot to mention that when the left turn signal is on by itself, it's dimmer than when the switch is switched to left. Looking at the diagrams, it appears that I may have a stuck combination switch. I'll probe it this weekend.

JXL

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010 Thread Starter

Smile Problem fixed !

It turned out to be a problem with the combination switch. I disassembled the switch and found carbonized (?) material (probably the contact grease) between the center and left contacts, which formed a ~10 ohm resistor. It was hard and I had to cut it out with an Xacto knife.

Sorry, I forgot to take pictures.

Thanks to SBM for the link to the schematics.

In case this happens to any of you, the fix cost $0.00. If you're not brave enough to open up the switch, you can buy a new one for $80 MSRP.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010

Nice! Good job.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon
2004 MDX Touring - Midnight Blue Pearl
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010

Part number

I have (had) the same problem with my turn signal. It actually stopped working today. I took the switch apart and the contacts were worn out.

I called Acura and they gave me part number 35255-S3V-A02 SWITCH ASSY., LIGHTING when I asked for the combination switch for the turn signal. I was unable to find a switch assembly for the turn signal so I'm assuming this is it but I'm wondering if someone can confirm. Thx!
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010
Super Senior Member

Don’t know what year you have but this is for 2002:

http://estore.honda.com/epc/asp/rjane007.asp#

'06 MDX
Touring/NAV/RES
midnightMDX’s
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010
Super Senior Member

Sorry about the link.

Item #10 carries the P/N you posted. This is for an ’06.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	combo switch 2006.jpg
Views:	4090
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	41228  

'06 MDX
Touring/NAV/RES
midnightMDX’s
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010

Thanks! Never realized how stressful it is to drive without turn signals!

probably more so that to drive around others not using their signals.
I hate being part of the problem.

'06 MDX Touring amazon/ebony

I think the turn signal relay is located in a clear plastic compartment to the left of the driver near the emergency brake. Is this true and how does the cover come off? This is a 2003 MDX.

I see this is a very old post, but I am also having the same-sh with my 2003 MDX. When using the left blinker ( down on the pole of the combination switch that controls the head lights and blinkers. ). The lights that would come on as if the head lights are on, flash along with the blinker and the Navigation Screen too. If you turn the lights on. The left blinker stays lite. I took apart the steering column and removed the combination switch. I took the switch apart and did not notice any connections touching each other. I am unsure if this is even the problem. I built back up the switch and installed it back in. The same problem is still around.

Anyone know if this is still the switch? Or is there a short somewhere in the MDX? Maybe a blinker relay?

Also before the lights in the truck flashed with the blinker. When braking. The screen on the Navigation would flicker.

Anyone having this issue? I have found other similar issues to this and people believe it to be the ELD under the fuse box in the engine compartment. I have made a video. ( Sorry about my daughter in the back round and when I say the right does nothing. I mean it is normal. This seems to only affect the left turn single.)

When the car headlight are on or in auto ( at night ). The left turn single stays lite as shown in the video. It still blinks when used. The right turn single acts as normal. When the car headlights are off. The interior lights that usually come on as if the headlights were on flash to the blinker. Also when the truck is in park. There is a clicking noise near the shifter when pressing on the brake. When the truck is in drive or gear. There is no click.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSPm...LdjIwsr9yQgNYg

I have a 2004 acura mdx and i've recently came across the same problem. My hazard light are working including my HID and Fogs. But my Turn signal lights arent working. I used my test light and checked all the fuses and relays under the hood, driver and passenger side kick panel and it all seems to be fine. I came to the conclusion that the problem was the turning signal combination switch on the steering column.

can someone help me please tell me if im right or not? im planning on just cleaning the contacts on the combination switch to see if it works. if not then ill replace it

Also if you can post a link to the installation diagram that would be helpful. thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettgotpho2 View Post
I came to the conclusion that the problem was the turning signal combination switch on the steering column.

can someone help me please tell me if im right or not?
Try it. Maybe that's the problem. Maybe it's just the bulbs. (I would try replacing those first, since it's easier.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettgotpho2 View Post
Also if you can post a link to the installation diagram that would be helpful. thanks
It's in the body section of the factory service manual. I have the 2003-2006 MDX service manual, and it's on page 22-139, titled "Combination Light Switch Test/Replacement". It tells you how to test it to make sure the connector terminals are making good contact.

If you don't have the factory service manual, you need one; it's essential any time you work on your own MDX. You can buy them new for around $60 from the publisher (click here).

Click
to see what phins2rt says.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement