2002 MDX stalls randomly with "Range" and fuel gauge empty while full tank - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Question 2002 MDX stalls randomly with "Range" and fuel gauge empty while full tank

Hi,
This is my first post in this form. I have a 2002 MDX with 250K miles on it. It was running well until couple of weeks ago when it shut off while driving. It shut off right after I made a right turn. Started right away on first attempt. Since then, It happened 4-5 times again on different occasions. After searching for this problem it turned out that the most common issue is either an ignition switch or fuel pump relay. In my case when it shuts off all the dash lights stays on so the ignition switch can't be the issue. considering that I changed the fuel pump main relay (I heard there are two relays related with fuel pump. I don't know which is the other one). But the problem still occurred. One thing I noticed is that when it shuts off everything still stays lit on the dash and still shows everything on the blue screen on the center console except the "Range" field shows "---" and the fuel gauge drops to empty while there is still half tank of fuel. I took it to mechanic and he was unable to re-produce the problem in two days of driving. He checked the fuel pressure and said that fuel pump is working perfect. The car starts right at first attempt after it shuts off so even I think that if fuel pump is bad then it won't start for a while or won't start all all. Is there an electrical component that can cut power to fuel pump resulting in empty "Range" and dead fuel gauge?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago

Looking at an 03-06 NDX wiring diagram (attached) suggests either Main Fuel Relay or ignition switch could cause sudden engine stoppage. Note fuel level sensor is fed from IG1 as is MR2.

good luck
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MDX03-06_PCM Wiring Diagram.pdf (547.0 KB, 6 views)

2003 Acura MDX w/ Nav
2006 Acura TSX
2010 Acura TSX
1994 Honda Accord
See you down the ROW!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply. As I stated in my question. I have already changed the main fuel relay and that didn't solve the problem and when the vehicle stops, the dashboard and blue console screen still have power so that rules out ignition switch (I guess). Anything else I should troubleshoot for?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

*Bump*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement