WTOP AM1500 reception around Tyson's, VA - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2004 Thread Starter

Angry WTOP AM1500 reception around Tyson's, VA

is it me?
is it the MDX?
is it the station? or
is it a government's secret project?

the reception of WTOP (AM 1500 radio station) around Tyson's Corner, VA (on the beltway) is bad. i hear somewhat loud noisy with voice. do you guys hear it, too?

2003 Nighthawk/Ebony
Since 11/9/02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004

Next time I am out that way I will try to remember to check...

2005 Steel Blue Metallic/Quartz Acura MDX w/Touring and Navigation (mine)
BSM, Rear Spoiler, Cargo Cover, Cargo Tray, All-Weather Floormats
Pics coming soon!

2004 Chrysler Sebring Limited Convertible Inferno Red (hers)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004

reception

In Denver i have found the AM reception to be marginal at best stations that used to come in OK either are all static or don't work at all! I guess the little antenna on the roof is not as good as the glass based "diversity" ones!

Wayne

Wayne

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004
Super Senior Member

I don't know about TOP, but many local AM stations suck in the X, but sound fine in my wife's '99 Accord with rear-window antenna. Not helping the situation at all is the buzzing sound that the electrical system creates in the radio. Even my '93 Ford Explorer has a better AM (heck, FM, too!) radio than the X. I'm thinking that some forum members have replaced the X's antenna with a longer VW antenna, but I haven't done a SEARCH to verify.

'01 Base Model, Mahogany, running boards, full-size spare (Michelin) from Tim, cargo cover and net. Got her 7/2/01. GYs replaced by Michelins @ 30,700 mi. Cat paw-prints on the hood, windshield, and moonroof.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2004

Quote:
Originally posted by frostyra
Not helping the situation at all is the buzzing sound that the electrical system creates in the radio.

AM reception in my X was fine until my 30,000 service. It seems that when they messed around with the wires under the hood, something became unshielded and it caused lots of interference. I mentioned it on my next service call and they cured the problem.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2004

Send a message via AIM to nightguy
The sports station here (AM-1130) used to have great reception. I could drive under bridges without any interruption because it's a directional AM.

This spring, 3 or 4 of their 9 transmitter towers got blown over in a storm. Ever since then not only do I get static under bridges but in my parking ramp I get the sound of the engine.

2004 Touring/SBP/Quartz/cargo cover, cargo tray, OEM trailer hitch kit

2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 Polished Metal/Black
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2004

AMs are inherently noisy, specially at night.
Try the WTOP FM107.70

AngPinoy
2005 MDX/Sagebrush/Nav/Res/Tow Pakg/Fender Flares/Bodyside molding/Tailgate spoiler/Side steps bright chrome/cargo cover
2005 Subaru Outback LLBean
2001 MDX/Tour/Navi/Tow Packg(sold 9/2004)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by dvilla
Try the WTOP FM107.70
never realized that there was another channel although they probably said it million times while i was listening.

thanks!

2003 Nighthawk/Ebony
Since 11/9/02
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004

Loose antenna

After reading a few threads I checked my antenna and turns out it was loose. It seems better now that it is screwed in tight!

Wayne

WTOP RADIO AM

I live in Rockville and work in Landover. WTOP will often get very noisy in my '03 MDX in some areas, especiall to the North and West of D.C. Check www.wtopnews.com for a coverage map of their 4 simulcast stations. I also get more multi-path noises on FM then most other cars. I think it's largely due to the very small antenna on the roof, and would love to find a better solution. I complained to the dealer when it was new, but they couldn't do anything about it.

My '05 Odyssey Touring RES/NAV has MUCH better reception. I think it's the best I've ever had in a car. It has a wire grid antenna on the rear right window, and gets FX satellite radio.

I wish ACURA would use radios that can use TWO antennas, switching to the one with the best reception thousands of times a second. I know some Toyota products have had this feature for many years - even the Camry.

'03 MDX, '05 Odyssey. Previous - '00 Odyssey FOR SALE, '95 Cirrus, '92 Sable wagon, '87 Subaru GL-10, '85 Tercel, '80 Citation, '69 Fiat 128 Sport Coupe.

I got my 2002 X used in 2009. I live it yet recently my radio reception is very crappy. I pulled down the headliner in the rear and couldn't locate any ground wire. So I ordered a 2002 VW beetle antenna off EBay from a VW dealer and the connections aren't the same nor does the VW antenna have a connector for the signal booster(yellow wire that connects to the bottom of the antenna mast). If anyone has dealt with this issue please chime in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement