Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Bull Bar for MDX

9K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  kghjr 
#1 ·
#3 ·
#4 ·
I was looking for a black bull bar with or without a brush guard.

I bought one on eBay from us-autopartsdepot. Supposedly it's MDX specific. It looks functional, but it came without installation instructions. It doesn't look easy and it looks like all the lower bumper parts will have to come off and be modified. If they do not send installation instructions, it's going back.

There was another one I was considering, Black Horse brand at CarID.com but the horse profile cutout on the brush guard is unappealing. There is a chrome one on eBay sold by suvdressup.

They do not enhance the look of the MDX, I just want to be able to protect the front bumper from me and mow things down if necessary.

#5 ·
They sent an email. There are no model specific installation instructions. Before I send it back, I'll take off all the lower aid dams and see what it looks like under there. It looks like they want me to put the supports between the subframe and the lower suspension brackets, which ain't happenin'.

#6 ·
I wanted a bull bar for protection of the vehicle from me. I could have used one on my last car, an Eldorado, which would have really looked goofy, but it had a pointy nose that I was constantly bumping into things. I repainted the front bumper 3 times in the last 7 years.

This one came with no installation instructions and no mounting bolts.

I fiddled around with it for several hours and never could figure out how to install it. I was trying to remove the lower garnish from the bumper. Fail.

The mounting plates have three holes which I could not line up with anything on the MDX.

I emailed the seller that it was impossible to install and I wanted a return authorization number.

She emailed me back that she would give me a $50 refund to buy mounting bolts.

I emailed her back that the mounting bolts were not the issue. The issues is that it was impossible to install short of butchering the garnish and welding it on. I told her that the piece uglifies, not beautifies, and installing it on an MDX would be like wearing work boots with a tux. Please send me a return authorization number.

She emailed me back that she would give me a $90 refund to have it professionally installed.

I paid $130 for it and it would cost me $30 to return, plus a restocking fee. Using fuzzy math, by accepting the refund I am out $10 for keeping it rather than returning it. A hair-brained scheme for sure.

Anyone know how to get the lower garnish off the front bumper? The Helms manual doesn't even show the piece.

#7 ·
Didn't give up totally yet.

Got underneath and figured out how to get the splash guard off. It's all push pins holding it on.

There are three bolt holes that match the mounting plate line up, but the bolts are holding components, defeating the mounting plate.

Whoever designed the mounting plate is an idiot or maybe it's designed for Pilots only. Now I have to get under one of them and see what it looks like.

Maybe I'll take the plates to a welder. I know how they could be altered to fit

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.