Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Service Manuals?

52K views 43 replies 23 participants last post by  MCRacer 
#1 ·
Is Helms still the "official" vendors that Honda uses for service manuals. I see they have Acura manuals for up to 2012, but nothing for 2013 or 2014. I see Helms has the 2014 OEM owners manuals and Nav manuals and other literature.

Does Honda think that their cars won't break? Or maybe they just don't want anyone but their dealers touching them since they are under warranty?

#2 ·
Yes, Helm stills produces the manufacturer service manuals. It is noted in the manual that came with your vehicle.

As far as your last two questions, that is a curious way to look at the situation. Rather the situation is that Helm simply hasn't published the 2014 service manual yet. No conspiracy to find here.

#5 ·
For all my other Hondas I got the Helms but also downloaded a PDF copy ... I usually print out the pages relating to the job I'm going to start so I don't ruin my print copy with greasy fingerprints or fluids. I can also take notes on the printouts

So far I haven't found a PDF copy of the 2G MDX manual

#6 ·
Finally figured out that Honda has moved to a subscription based service for their manuals. Paper ones are not yet available for 2014. The Honda service site is: https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/logon.asp

There are two levels. One for independent repair shops and owners, and the other for dealers.

ServiceExpress is American Honda and Honda Canada's service repair information website for independent repair shops and vehicle owners. This information covers all Honda and Acura vehicles from 1990 to current.
Subscriptions:

• 1 Day - $10.00 USD
  • 30 Days - $50.00 USD
  • 365 Days - $350.00 USD
I think that is quite reasonable compared to paying $200-$300 for a few occasions I would need them, if the info in the system is as good as the Helms paper manuals.

#9 ·
Has anyone found printed service manuals for 2014-2015 MDX yet?

I also only found ServiceExpress mentioned above for electronic versions. Does anyone have experience with this service?

What are you gear heads doing for manual, just using experience? Has anyone used ServiceExpress and downloaded/pdf and print a number of areas at one time?

I might try ServiceExpress or just do without until I run into something a little challenging.

I would like to get some clarity if the transmission ATF change at the MM is for a single or triple drain and fill.

--The Owners manual shows 3.3 quarts for a change.
--I called two dealers and one pumps the fluid out (which would be over three times the fluid) and the other does a single drain and fill. Both specify roughly intervals around 25-30k but said to follow MM if it shows change sooner.

I will error on the conservative side and likely send fluid out for analysis to be safe (I tow a lot...)

#10 ·
Here is the procedure for a 2014 6 Speed:

Disconnect the breather pipe.
Remove the intake air duct.
Remove Transmission Undercover

Refill the transmission with the recommended fluid through
the filler hole. Always use genuine Acura ATF DW-1.
NOTE: Using a non-Acura ATF can affect shift quality.
Automatic Transmission Fluid Capacity
AWD:
3.1 L (3.3 US qt) at change
7.5 L (7.9 US qt) at overhaul
2WD:
3.1 L (3.3 US qt) at change
7.2 L (7.6 US qt) at overhaul

Install the ATF filler bolt with a new sealing washer.

Install the intake air duct.
Connect the breather pipe,

#13 ·
Whatever you do, dont purchase access through that site. I need to get my center speaker out to fix the annoying buzz that has returned with cold weather. Dealer is useless. I decided to bite the bullet and pay the 10$ to get access. It takes your money but then claims you have no subscriptions. When you complain through their 'contact us' button it gives you an error message. So all the site does is take money and gives you nothing in return.

#14 ·
it has worked for me in the past.

last time i used it was last year and i was able to download some service manuals before my subscription ended. of course this is not allowed--copyright rules; yes, they think youre going to sell them yourself and make money of it.

i think i did experience what you mentioned about paying and still not getting access to the site. i contacted customer support though via live call.

#17 ·
I rolled the dice and ordered online access for 29.99 on newegg seller - just search newegg.com for acura mdx service manual; supposedly they will send me a code to use for 1 year online access - looks like it is offered by Michell1 (a division of Snap-on) so hopefully good quality; says you can print pages, etc. - I will update once I get the access...if you go directly to eautorepair.net - their website but it is more expensive...

#22 ·
I've had three modern Nissans... 2003, 04 and 09. I always do almost all of the work on my cars. Nissan had a great setup for DIYers. There was a site, believe it was called NissanHelp. For $20 you could see all of the online FSMs for 24 hours. I downloaded them for all of my cars. I wish that the rest of the manufacturers were as helpful.

Don't get me started on Porsche and BMW..... ?

#27 ·
if i am not mistaken---it's been almost a year since i accessed the site--since the electronic docs are in PDF format. you can use either a Chrome browser or FF to print to PDF in order to save it to your computer. Otherwise, just safe the PDF file to your desktop.

if i were you. id plan ahead; think of what components that you know would cost a lot for a mechanic to fix--or even those easy to replace components--and download them since the $10 youll pay for the day will run out quick if you dont dedicate most, if not, all of your day 'raping' the site (excuse my language). :p

#34 ·
I have alldatadiy for mulitple vehicles. Data is basically what is in the helms OEM service manuals along with TSB's, recalls etc. for my Denali truck the service manual printed set is something like 7 volumes takes up over a foot of shelf space. Alldatadiy has all that info. IMHO well worth the annual cost. Now the downside, last I checked they didn't have any recent MY honda or acura vehicles, and it often takes a few years for them to become available.

#35 ·
I went ahead and got it. It's not quite as detailed as the service manuals I have for my other hondas, but it is detailed enough. It has torque specs and all the things I needed. I used to use Alldata when I worked in a shop but that was almost 20 years ago, So I wasn't sure if it was still good product now. The layout is still a pain,. just like it used to be, and I miss where you could expand all teh extra steps instead of having to open each process individually, but it gets the job done.

#43 ·
You all think this is bad, wait until the EVs come. You're not going to fix or modify those. Our politicians seem complicit in allowing companies to essentially remove the ability of "owners" to fix that which they own. It's a system pioneered by the software industry, spread to the phone industry, and now the automotive industry is trying to get in on the action.

It's easy to fix - just require the manufacturers to publish the service manuals, so you can buy them (not rent them), at a reasonable price. It can be electronic, but I prefer books. Back when the US had functional anti-trust laws, the car companies were required to do this, as well as inventory parts for a time (6 years I think), and make a number of systems "easy" to repair, which is why you only need a screw driver to change a lightbulb. It's all being wiped away.

#44 ·
mfg do publish service manuals. They are sold often through either Helms or today All Data DIY. I'd rather do the all data than the 8 volumes that took up about 2ft of shelf space for my GMC truck (2005). When I got the 2015, it was All Data instead, less expensive, easy to print, easy to access and doesn't weight 50lbs. Same for the MDX. All data manuals are the factory manuals. And you also get access to all the TSB's, All the recalls, flat rate times, etc. etc. that aren't in the printed manuals.

I've owned car's since the 60's and never have had a car I couldn't get a factory manual for in one form or another. 2015 Denali. got it, 2019 MDX hybrid, got it, 97 MB E420, got it, 97 SL500, got it, 2004 Silverado, got it, 2010 Mazda of our DIL, got it, Daughters 2015 Ford edge, got it, Now I just log onto my All data account and look up and search what I want. And if you buy a 3 year subscription, even over a 10 year period will likely be less than buying the printed version if it exists.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.