2014 MDX Base engine starting after double clicking the lock button on remote - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

2014 MDX Base engine starting after double clicking the lock button on remote

Hello All,

This is my first post after I bought a used 2014 MDX Base. I have dealer installed off market remote starter. It works fine. but recently I have noticed that my car engine starting after I double press or press hold the lock button on Acura remote. This is not a remote key fob, standard fob. Is that normal?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:41 PM

It's not normal. A vehicle without the factory remote start option should not start with the standard FOB. I'd say your aftermarket remote start is screwed up and interfering. Personally, I'd have the dealer deinstall it and get my money back since it's not behaving as it should - i.e. it's interfering with the factory functions. I wouldn't ever have a dealer install any aftermarket item, especially ones that can be invasive such as a remote starter, car alarm, etc. They usually have a big margin on these items, hence a big markup, and could be using inferior products.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Should I be concerned? It actually even switches off the engine when I repeat the process.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 01:09 AM

I have to admit it seems kind of nice to have lol

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cec4111 View Post
Should I be concerned?
People die of carbon monoxide poisoning from cars left running in attached garages. It happened to a family in our area a few years ago. So YES, you should be concerned.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
People die of carbon monoxide poisoning from cars left running in attached garages. It happened to a family in our area a few years ago. So YES, you should be concerned.
I live a Condo and park my car on covered and ventilated parkade upper level. So that is not a concern for now atleast. I will run it by the dealership and confirm.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 04:13 PM

^^ Even if you don't have the carbon monoxide issue, which was an excellent point made by Wanderlust, you still wouldn't want it to be accidentally started without you realizing it and sitting there running burning up your freshly full tank of gas and you wouldn't want the liability of having an unattended running car - it's a safety issue. It's also an added theft exposure - i.e. if it's left running someone could easily break a side window, open the door, hop in, and drive off.

This unit isn't working as it should either due to a poorly designed unit or an improper installation. I still think you should have them remove it and get your money back. If you really want remote start for some reason maybe it's worth a bit extra for the factory one.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 05:07 PM

On the flip side, I would argue that it's about as dangerous as just having an OEM remote starter key fob (holding a key vs double pressing a key, both could be accidentally done), except extra care should be taken to not press the lock button twice as quickly as his remote start requires. Aftermarket systems have been around for ages. Yes, things happen sometimes like rolling away after an accidental start or accidentally starting the engine until the fuel runs out. But it's nothing new nor extraordinary that I think warrants removal unless you, OP, are truly uncomfortable with a remote start system. We can't really tell if the double press is the intended way to remote start your vehicle with an unknown aftermarket system after all.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 09:07 AM

It is probably an aftermarket remote starter like this one which uses the factory remote, https://fortin.ca/en/features/3x_loc...e_starter.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: