Cross shopping the new CX9 - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Herakles

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

Cross shopping the new CX9

Our friends bought a new loaded CX9. I took it for a ride today, all i can say is wow- the fit and finish of the interior was impressive. What a great suv. Anyone cross shop the CX9 with the MDX? They apparently did and went with the CX9 because it was significantly cheaper (about 40K) compared to a new mdx?

Our 2007 is getting long in the tooth, but let me tell ya, after 10 years of reliability- its hard not to want to get back into another MDX. My alternator failed recently at 150K miles. Other than that its been exceptional all these years

17X likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 10:28 AM

I considered the CX9, RX 350, Volvo XC90, and Infiniti QX60. Out of those options and the MDX, the CX9 placed third in our ranking after the RX 350 and MDX. It's definitely a good option if you have a tighter budget, but keep in mind, there are reasons it is much cheaper than the other cars. Specs-wise, the CX-9 comes with a 2.5 L V4 engine, while the MDX comes with a 3.5 L V6. You WILL feel the difference, trust me. The MDX will have a much sportier drive with tighter control. Secondly, there's also a reason that Lexus (Toyota) and Acura (Honda) are the top Japanese lines, with Mazda coming in third. Although Mazda has greatly improved in the past few years, I'd still consider Acura and Lexus significantly more reliable. It comes down to this. Do you value driving dynamics and power or just want a simple commuter SUV that will get you from point A to point B? Both cars are good options depending on what you need.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 12:45 PM

The CX-9 is very commonly compared here, so a search here will probably bring up the threads that have the discussions.

Desi pretty much hit the nail on the head though--most people like the CX-9 interior improvements, new look, and cost difference, but most people who step away from the CX-9 do so because of engine power and also because they are unsure if they can trust Mazda yet since this is the first year of that engine.

That being said, Acura/Honda isn't as reliable overall as it once was, but the power plant seems to be the least problematic component. People are more concerned with the electronics, the 2016+ transmission (more about the behavior that failures though), and general fit and finish (lots of rattles seem to develop in this department).

The new CX-9 wasn't available yet when I bought my MDX (my priorities are always the driving dynamics, including power), but I did end up trying it later on and I found that the CX-9 is much more of a city driver than a highway cruiser due to the power band. Mazda stated that the low down torque availability makes the vehicle more enjoyable to drive, but if you live in a place that is primarily served by freeways and high speed local roads like me, you will feel the lack of power.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 01:26 PM

I felt CX9 engine was underpowered and didn't have enough room in second row .
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 03:16 PM

CX-9 was a strong contender in our decision, probably 3rd to the Pilot. It's a great looking rig and I think it will prove to be a solid/reliable car right out of the gates. I was hoping for more out of the turbo 4 given the Speed3/6 experience but it's a let down. I wanted the Mazda to be more lively and maybe sound good doing it but it signs off way too early and sounds course and cheap in the process. Frankly I felt dorky getting on the freeway in what sounded/felt like a beater Tercel merging onto the interstate. I'm a huge fan of how Mazda builds cars for enthusiasts but the CX-9 falls short if you like to be engaged in the driving process, but overlooking some of those enthusiast shortcomings its a great car.

2017 MDX Advance SH-AWD, Modern Steel with Ebony
2016 Chevy SS, 6 speed manual
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 04:56 PM
17X

Check out some long term reviews on YouTube . Also I am sure MDX will be significantly quieter in terms of cabin noise.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 08:46 PM

Mazda has come a long way. They have always been a quirky car company willing to take a chance. However there design and execution has really developed over the last 10 years. Imo the Mazdas fight above their weight class, I don't really compare them to Nissan and Toyota.

On the other side, acura is the most pedestrian of premium brands. What I mean is the separation between Acura and Honda is the least. Take this to mean Acura is ehhh or the Honda is a very good parent company.

The proof is the fact you are cross shopping these vehicles, and you are making a reasonable consideration. Both are great but what is the big difference between Mazda and Acura (really Honda)?

Powertrain

Honda engines are just better. Mazda has done great things with the skyactive technology, but nothing can replace years of engine building perfection.

I own a Mdx, a Ridgeline, a s2000 and a Mazda5. My mother just bought a new cx9 that I recommended. It comes down to price point, the v6 vs the turbo 4 and the potential for needing to tow 5k pounds.

For my mom, she doesn't care about a silky v6 that revs to 7k. She doesn't need to tow, and she didn't want to spend the extra cash on a premium brand. Yet she wanted a well appointed, stylish 3 row crossover.

For me I want the Honda engine, 5k towing, the sh-awd plus I am willing to pay for the name.

Either way you can't lose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: