Apple CarPlay and Android Auto - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Apple CarPlay and Android Auto

So they just announced that the 2018 ILX will have CarPlay and android auto in the new infotainment systems. What are the chances of them including the new software in older models?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 09:03 PM

I just read the same. It would be great if they did do that but I'm not sure the current hardware would run it smoothly. I could be wrong but the system isn't exactly smooth as is. The new TLX may have a newer processor etc to make things more responsive​. Not to say it couldn't be ported to an older system if the hardware allows.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 10:07 PM

I asked Acura before. They said they would not it backwards compatible. They seem to be introducing carplay and Android auto when they move to a new head unit, so it will be curious if they redo the whole dash as a result. But the ilx definitely needs some value added to it and Honda seems more willing to test new things on the cheaper products first.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 10:11 PM

I actually don't understand why the MDX Sport Hybrid didn't get the same infotainment upgrade as the 2018 TLX. I would have assumed that the units are compatible.

2008 TL-S 6MT - Nighthawk Black Pearl
2008 RDX Tech - Polished Metal Metallic
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoshi View Post
I asked Acura before. They said they would not it backwards compatible. They seem to be introducing carplay and Android auto when they move to a new head unit, so it will be curious if they redo the whole dash as a result. But the ilx definitely needs some value added to it and Honda seems more willing to test new things on the cheaper products first.

That's unfortunate.
Gladiator likes this.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 11:56 PM

It's a hardware thing. Definitely not backwards compatible

2015 MDX Advance (Entertainment) - WDP
2008 Acura TL Type S - WDP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech_Dad View Post
I actually don't understand why the MDX Sport Hybrid didn't get the same infotainment upgrade as the 2018 TLX. I would have assumed that the units are compatible.

They will definitely have to make these changes otherwise the upcoming rx350L will take away too many potential buyers. The current system is light years behind (processor and screen) than most of the competition
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 01:22 PM

We'll need to keep watch of what changed in the 2018 TLX infotainment for sure. Being that it's still dual screen and the controls are slightly different, the software is 30% faster so I will be curious to see if they moved to just different hardware or if they made mostly software changes (albeit major changes by looking at the attached image from Acura). I'm hoping they are making the changes in the 2018 MDX. Still to late for us existing owners, but a step in the right direction finally.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-Acura-TLX-8.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	272.6 KB
ID:	91538  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 03:55 PM
17X

Apple CarPlay and Android Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoshi View Post
We'll need to keep watch of what changed in the 2018 TLX infotainment for sure. Being that it's still dual screen and the controls are slightly different, the software is 30% faster so I will be curious to see if they moved to just different hardware or if they made mostly software changes (albeit major changes by looking at the attached image from Acura). I'm hoping they are making the changes in the 2018 MDX. Still to late for us existing owners, but a step in the right direction finally.

I am surprised that they did not change the head unit. Looking at what new Civic and Odyssey have!. That new Honda head units will look awesome in the Acura's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0148.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	291.8 KB
ID:	91546  
Gladiator likes this.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17X View Post
I am surprised that they did not change the head unit. Looking at what new Civic and Odyssey have!. That new Honda head units will look awesome in the Acura's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The new unit seems overly complicated. I personally don't mind the two screen infotainment system, but I know others are not too keen on it.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 09:41 PM

Quote:
What are the chances of them including the new software in older models?
I'd say it's pretty close to 0%. Firstly, there are likely hardware differences that could preclude the ability to reasonably run, or run at all, the new software platform and secondly, based on Acura's unwillingness to apply a slight software update to the 2014 that they applied to a 2015 with almost the same, if not identical, platforms, it seems as if Acura has no interest in providing upgrades to existing owners. Acura, and probably many others, are nowhere near as proactive with software upgrades on 'already sold' platforms (even if they're still 'current') as are PCs and smart phones. It's very much a 'what you see is what you get' mentality - i.e. if you want something newer then you have to buy newer (the whole enchilada - infotainment + rest of vehicle). People need to be satisfied with what they're buying at the moment and have no expectation of any upgrades being offered, which the auto maker simply views as another way to get you to buy a new vehicle... over and over again.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 11:49 AM

Car-Play is the way to go but will it work correctly. I still can't get an Iphone connected to the Acura notification system after 7 different Acuras and many years it still says not compatible. No one has a clue and says it is a common problem. Come on its an IPHONE!!!
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 07:42 PM

It's really much tougher for you iOS folks though. Each update seems to break something with the BT stack. Been like that for ages. Happens on Android as well, but not as often it seems. Either way, car tech can't really keep up with phone tech and that's the main issue. I'm really hoping one day that these Android auto and carplay carplay head units can be updated through the phone connection. Or more brand can just do what Tesla and Toyota/Lexus already do.. ota updates to keep compatibility at least somewhat current.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Would adding something like an HDMI-in port be useful? Sure, it may not work through bluetooth, but it wouldn't ever be blocked or restricted by OS updates.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 12:26 PM

Mmm, well I will tell you that the the head unit 2016 and before (nobody has checked the 2017 unit yet) does not have a stock HDMI in interface like the TLX and ILX do. Even then, those two vehicle cannot easily switch to HDMI mirroring without going into the developer settings of the head unit. That means that you will need to add HDMI via a mirroring device like a Naviks or Navtool, which both will mirror the screen via HDMI, but do not carry the audio signal over the HDMI and instead rely on the AUX input of the vehicle for audio. That brings up another issue since we're talking about OS updates... HDMI interfacing works due to the MHL protocol, which is being phased out in favor of DisplayPort over USB-C soon (it's actually already gone on some of the newest phones, especially USB-C devices). And then you would still need BT for the phone call and text interface since that is the only method that carries such data to head units.

Sooo yeah, I've been personally holding off on mirroring and HDMI devices because I have a USB-C phone and also because Google decided that it wants people to use wireless mirroring on its newest phones. In the future, I expect that our head units will need to implement a wifi interface for phone and head unit interaction, but it's just a matter of when. With more and more manufacturers moving to Android based head units, keeping the head units and phones working with each other might become easier (maybe.. depends on if the car manufacturers want to make this a revenue stream option as well).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: