Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Push start button not aligned

6K views 32 replies 15 participants last post by  GOSSIPSAIGON 
#1 ·
Hello all, we have recently picked up a brand-spanking new 2017 MDX and are enjoying it and everything. It is a beastly machine and it's great. One thing I can't stop noticing, however, is that the push start button is not aligned. It is crooked and sticks to one side of the socket. I would ignore it...but I see and notice it every time I go to start the car, and it kind of irks me. Does anybody know if there are any instructions for opening up this area so I can align it? I don't really want to take it to the dealer, as I don't know if they might make something else worse while trying to fix one issue. Here's a picture, which barely shows the issue. Thanks

edit: I can't post a picture yet apparently. Will post the picture once my post count is up :)

#3 ·
youve paid good money to be annoyed.

that said. annoy the stealership about it so they can fix it under warranty.

otherwise, you can use the instructions to remove the left half of the lower driver-side panel in order to get to right half of the lower driver side panel equipped with the push button (i cannot find the instructions for the right half at this moment. will keep looking).

Attachments

#4 ·
I don't really want to take it to the dealer, as I don't know if they might make something else worse while trying to fix one issue.
It's always possible the dealer techs might make something worse in the process but think about it - they've performed various mechanical work on the MDX, including in the dashboard area and possibly in this exact area, far more than you have and have the appropriate procedures and any special tools that might be required. They have vast more experience at it than you as well as access to support people with more detailed knowledge and if they do mess something up they're on the hook to correct it.

You should take advantage of the warranty and just have them fix this minor (but annoying) issue.

#8 ·
What do mean that it sticks to one side. If it's actually sticking. Like you push the button and it stays in,you should have it fixed. I can't understand why you would even think about opening up the dash on a brand new car.

#10 ·
After 4 years out of the MDX game (last was 2007 Sport/Ent) we just picked up a '17 advance and after reading this I noticed our start button is not centered in the trim ring as well. Now we have a decent lifestyle and I'm pretty OCD about little things but I can't imagine something is trivial as a button .5mm off center to be something I could be bothered by.

#12 ·
Still cant post picture die to low post count. Mine is not slightly off, or I would have just lived with it as I am a reasonable guy. This thing looks OFF CENTER and even tilts down slightly. It still works flawlessly. I'm amazed with life and what it brings to my doorsteps. Not a second goes by where I am thankful for being able to exist on this beautiful planet.

#14 ·
Picture below...It's totally off center, but I don't like people working on my car so IF this bothered my I would come up with some kind of centering ring. It's not worth some tech tearing the dash apart to put a new off center switch in...unintended consequences are plentiful in this type of repair.

[/URL][/IMG]

#19 ·
In my experience, most dash panels are meant to fit together, tightly, just one time. I'm not saying that the dealership cannot replicate the fitment again, but I wouldn't feel good taking the chance personally. Good luck with your adventures though.

#20 ·
That's what I figured. You would think that the person assembling this thing would take an extra second to make sure it's aligned somewhat decently before screwing everything together. Just shows how quickly these things are being made. Just throwing things together like a hamburger

#21 ·
That's what I figured. You would think that the person assembling this thing would take an extra second to make sure it's aligned somewhat decently before screwing everything together. Just shows how quickly these things are being made. Just throwing things together like a hamburger
That's your problem.

#29 ·
Attention to detail is expected at this price point

I too just picked up a 2017 MDX with tech and I noticed my misaligned starter button immediately. It's not about being overly obsessive, it's about expecting certain things from cars at certain price points. No, it won't hinder the functionality of the button, and no, I won't make myself crazy over it BUT it should not be an issue with such a luxury vehicle. I took it to my dealer immediately and just got a call from him telling me that it was NORMAL in other MDX's that he looked at. So it is not some exception to the rule, it is just a poorly made starter button assembly on a not so poorly made car. I wonder if the car came from Japan, and not Alabama, if the attention to this level of detail would be taken. Still love the car.

#31 ·
Same issue on my 2017 Tech SH-AWD. I didn't even notice it until I read this thread :) I agree with the earlier sentiments, it's hardly noticeable unless you put your face right above the button. And yes, you can recenter it with your finger, but it eventually slides back into its misaligned position. Oh well.

#32 ·
People are dying of cancer. People are homeless. People are losing their jobs. People are losing their homes. Kids are going to bed and going to school hungry and you are worrying about this? After reading this post I checked my push button. It too is off. The button seems to float in the housing. Be thankful that you and your family are healthy and go try to make this world a better place. Don't waste your mind space on this silliness.

#33 ·
Hello all, we have recently picked up a brand-spanking new 2017 MDX and are enjoying it and everything. It is a beastly machine and it's great. One thing I can't stop noticing, however, is that the push start button is not aligned. It is crooked and sticks to one side of the socket. I would ignore it...but I see and notice it every time I go to start the car, and it kind of irks me. Does anybody know if there are any instructions for opening up this area so I can align it? I don't really want to take it to the dealer, as I don't know if they might make something else worse while trying to fix one issue. Here's a picture, which barely shows the issue. Thanks

edit: I can't post a picture yet apparently. Will post the picture once my post count is up
People are dying of cancer. People are homeless. People are losing their jobs. People are losing their homes. Kids are going to bed and going to school hungry and you are worrying about this? After reading this post I checked my push button. It too is off. The button seems to float in the housing. Be thankful that you and your family are healthy and go try to make this world a better place. Don't waste your mind space on this silliness.
I second that

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.