14 Backup Camera Quality - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By sals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

14 Backup Camera Quality

Hi All - i have a 2014 Base SH-AWD and i recently had a 2016 Base as a loaner for 2 weeks while a faulty front strut was replaced under warranty. I noticed that the camera in the 16 was significantly brighter and crisper than my 14 - mine looks pretty washed out and a little blurry. Have other 14 owners noticed the same?

dorrissan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sals View Post
Hi All - i have a 2014 Base SH-AWD and i recently had a 2016 Base as a loaner for 2 weeks while a faulty front strut was replaced under warranty. I noticed that the camera in the 16 was significantly brighter and crisper than my 14 - mine looks pretty washed out and a little blurry. Have other 14 owners noticed the same?
You can do a search on this. There have been complaints about the camera since it came out. Almost 4 years ago.

2014 MDX,TECH. CHERRY AWD
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 11:33 PM

What you stated is too subjective to compare against. The best thing to do would be to find another 2014, the dealer may have one on the lot or in the service bay, and compare yours against one or two other 2014s. There are a couple posters here who have both a 2014 and a newer one who might be able to state the comparison for you.

For the record - I haven't seen anyone post here that the camera view in the 2016 is significantly better than that in the 2014. You may find out yours is abnormal for a 2014 and should have it checked by the dealer if still under warranty.

I assume you made sure the camera lens was clean on your 2014 as you were making the comparison.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 09:17 AM

Garage
My MY13 MDX camera is the same way. Very poor visibility in certain light circumstances. The rear camera in my MY13 Lincoln MKS is far superior. I would assume Acura had made some major improvements since model year.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 09:23 AM

Garage
The MY17 camera is adequate during the day. It's not super crisp, but it's just a backup cam afterall...meaning, I don't need to read street signs through it for god's sake. However, at night it is basically useless and I've come to conclude that it's a light sensitivity issue.

Via an install of Rigid's SRQ LED pod, I've been able to greatly increase the use of the camera at night. The camera is very sensitive to foreground lighting, so you'd need to carefully limit the amount of light directly behind the vehicle if you wanted to see things in the distance (i.e. reflections off the bumper greatly damper the ability to see items more than a few feet behind the vehicle).

Hers: 2009 TSX CU2 Tech, CBP w/ Parchment
Mine: 2017 MDX SH-AWD Tech, LSM w/ Graystone
Gone: 2013 F150 SCrew Platinum tuned EcoBoost
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 12:00 PM

I have a 2016 and the camera sucks!!! I understand that it is just a back up camera so it doesn't need to be so clear but I don't like it. The one on my BMW is nice and clear.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:56 AM

I have the 2015 and the camera screen is not at all clear. Compared to my previous car, it's quite blurry.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 02:51 PM

I haven't seen anyone post that they think the rear cam in the 3rd gen MDX is super clear, or great, or has excellent resolution. It certainly could stand to be improved but for the OP I think it's a matter of subjectivity and relativity - i.e. I think you need to compare your 2014 with some other 2014s. Yours might be worse than others in which case there could be something wrong with it you might want to get fixed if it's still under warranty.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 04:09 PM

You know you can adjust the brightness on the camera, right? That made a big difference for me.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 01:17 PM

my 2017 camera is noticeably better than the 2014 camera has. The only thing I wish they kept in the rear camera interface is the "straight down" view that I had on the 2014. Made it WAY easier to connect a trailer or get into a tight parking spot.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 01:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbmwgs View Post
my 2017 camera is noticeably better than the 2014 camera has. The only thing I wish they kept in the rear camera interface is the "straight down" view that I had on the 2014. Made it WAY easier to connect a trailer or get into a tight parking spot.
It's there on my '17...just have to select the different view. Push the central "OK" knob while the camera is on. Top down and wide angle are available views.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 08:30 PM

Our 14 can is decent during the day and blurry as heck at night
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDavis View Post
It's there on my '17...just have to select the different view. Push the central "OK" knob while the camera is on. Top down and wide angle are available views.
Hmmmm,I push the button, but the views are slightly different. I used to be able to look straight down right at the trailer hitch, now (with 2017) I just have a wider angle view where I can see the trailer hitch but it's not the good enough to accurately get the hitch as close with the old one. Maybe i'm not doing it right? I have the advance/tech with the surround view, so maybe that's the difference?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 12:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbmwgs View Post
Hmmmm,I push the button, but the views are slightly different. I used to be able to look straight down right at the trailer hitch, now (with 2017) I just have a wider angle view where I can see the trailer hitch but it's not the good enough to accurately get the hitch as close with the old one. Maybe i'm not doing it right? I have the advance/tech with the surround view, so maybe that's the difference?
Tech package here. I leave mine in "normal". One push gets me top down (right over the bumper edge) a second push gets me the wide angle. Seems we need some additional input here huh?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: