Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Different types of SH-AWD?

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  skirmich 
#1 ·
#2 ·
The 4th one is the type going into the upcoming Sport Hybrid MDX, but I wonder what changes are in store. So maybe there will be a 5th soon?

I wasn't very happy to know that the 16+ rear diff is basically an upgraded VTM. IMO, another cost cutting move by Honda to just universally share parts between the two brands and cutting weight to reach those MPG numbers. The added heat concerns don't help either. So far, it handles fine and I'm used to an EM clutch type rear from my other vehicles, so I guess time will tell. Also, Honda says on their SAE paper that the new unit actually INCREASES the corner performance, which I'm totally happy about. I'm just weary of the new reliability concerns and what is exactly defined as "good" for that context.

#3 ·
AFAIK and this is from the top of my head..

SH-AWD Gens:
1st Gen: 2G/3G/4G RL with the Overdrive Transmission in the Rear Diff, Physical Wet Clutches with Sun Gears = Less wear, more service life. Can Overdrive up to 5%?
2nd Gen: 2G MDX, 4G TL, 1G RDX without the Overdrive Transmission in the Rear Diff, Physical Wet Clutch with Sun Gears = Less wear, more service life. Can Overdrive up to 1.7%?
3rd Gen: 3G MDX, 5G TLX, 3G Pilot, 2G Ridgeline with purely Magnetic Wet Clutches direct drive, More Stress to the Clutches = More wear and less service life. Can Overdrive up to 5.8%?

I do not believe the Sport Hybrid will count as a next gen since its driven by Electric Motors that will be the first gen of the Hybrid SH-AWD system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.