Automatic Engine Idle Stop Unavailable - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Automatic Engine Idle Stop Unavailable

2016 SH-AWD Advance/Entertainment

I bought this car last Thurs and every time I stop, this message pops up "Automatic Engine Idle Stop Unavailable". I made sure to press the button to enable it I even tried to drive no heat, no radio, no nav, etc but it's still not kicking in. I heard it sometimes doesn't work when it's really cold. But the other day when I drove it, it was above 40F. Any suggestion? I've scheduled to take it to the dealer next week.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 01:29 PM

They are several parameter that must be met before the idle stop activates

"Auto idle stop does not activate (or the engine may automatically restart) when the driver’s seat belt is unfastened, the vehicle is stopped on a steep hill, the windshield defroster is on, and other conditions. See the Owner’s Manual on the Owner information CD or at owners.acura.com (U.S.) or myacura.ca (Canada) for a full list of conditions."
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I read all that and followed but it still not kicking in.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 03:05 PM

There have been posts from other owners about the auto idle stop not working either, but they haven't been able to get resolution with Acura. I would still recommend starting the case with the dealer and escalating it through corporate. It sounds like the system is really either overactive, causing people to really hate it, or entirely inactive, which means you've basically paid for a non-functioning feature. One owner went as far as buying a Honda HDS and diagnosing himself, which lead him to a fault controller for the auto idle that he was resetting by removing/reinserting the fuse.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoshi View Post
There have been posts from other owners about the auto idle stop not working either, but they haven't been able to get resolution with Acura. I would still recommend starting the case with the dealer and escalating it through corporate. It sounds like the system is really either overactive, causing people to really hate it, or entirely inactive, which means you've basically paid for a non-functioning feature. One owner went as far as buying a Honda HDS and diagnosing himself, which lead him to a fault controller for the auto idle that he was resetting by removing/reinserting the fuse.
wow. that's a big leap in trying to troubleshoot a vehicle issue. is honda going to reimburse him for that Honda HDS kit when the techs that honda pays(?) couldnt do it themselves? or the warranty you paid for was worth the ink that was used to print out the order form?

i was thinking of buying my own Honda HDS on ebay. but was apprehensive as to the version of the firmware currently installed and whether i could update it from Honda/Acura's website?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 04:01 PM

Yeah it sucks but it's the only way to get to the bottom of things sometimes (especially since Honda/Acura loves "It's normal!"). I'm also on the fence about the ebay HDS units. They look like they will work from what I see on the forums, but nobody really knows what is the latest and greatest.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 05:11 PM

I just found out at the dealer that the Auto Idle-Stop sensor will not work if the Battery internal Temperature is below 61F (16C) degrees. I just bought a 2017 Acura MDX - Advanced+Entertainment model less than a month ago, and for the time I drove it, the AIS did not work or "Unable to Activate". They ran a diagnostic test and found out that the sensor passed all tests, EXCEPT battery temp test which it failed. The temp at time of test was around 40F for the Battery Internal Temp. Technician waited for battery to continue heat-up and found that the AIS sensor activated and worked at 61F (16C). This is in the State of Virginia. Mine was fine driving home, the engine completely stopped when I am at a stoplight, and instantaneously, restart upon releasing foot pressure on brake pedal. The info board will tell you if you are not putting enough pressure on the brake pedal during a stop. I will monitor it for a while to see if this solves the AIS issue. So far it is working for me.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 07:43 PM

I had intermittent operation of the stop/start system in my 17 Advanced. Dealer re-flashed the system and it has been working reliably for about 2 weeks now. Supposedly there's some kind of TSB about it. Dealer was told what to do by Acura help team (engineering?) And my outside temperatures have been in the 30's F, and it's been working reliably after I get the car up to normal operating temp (per the temp gauge).
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 03:53 AM

Mine hasn't been working for a quite a while now. One thing I noticed that it resumed it's normal operation after I did an oil change and reset the counter. It worked fine for a few short weeks then stopped again, coincidence? Perhaps. I just don't have time to waste at the dealer on this worthless feature, IMO.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 07:01 PM

I agree about its worthlessness. It was done merely to get an extra MPG rating increase. These days manufacturers are tripping all over themselves trying to satisfy the ever-increasing CAFE standards. And that's the reason why we can turn it off with the button, but it defaults back to "on" when you restart the car next time. In order for the mileage increase to count, it cannot be defeated. My feeling was that as long as I had the feature, I wanted it to work correctly.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 07:57 PM

Update March 2017 - Been to dealer several times for this and they reflash it and it will work for a week or two then stop. It's been 8 days now without ever working. Display just says system is "unavailable". Outside temps have been between 25 and 45 degrees F. And I'm not buying that post about the battery temp having to be above 61 degrees. It has worked (when it works) in temps in the 20's, 30's, 40's, and 50's (yeah, it's been a crazy winter). Just one more thing they can't fix.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo Queral View Post
I agree about its worthlessness. It was done merely to get an extra MPG rating increase. These days manufacturers are tripping all over themselves trying to satisfy the ever-increasing CAFE standards. And that's the reason why we can turn it off with the button, but it defaults back to "on" when you restart the car next time. In order for the mileage increase to count, it cannot be defeated. My feeling was that as long as I had the feature, I wanted it to work correctly.
I have a Bmw. The stop/start can be turned off and it stays off. It's a small car though.

2014 MDX,TECH. CHERRY AWD
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo Queral View Post
Update March 2017 - Been to dealer several times for this and they reflash it and it will work for a week or two then stop. It's been 8 days now without ever working. Display just says system is "unavailable". Outside temps have been between 25 and 45 degrees F. And I'm not buying that post about the battery temp having to be above 61 degrees. It has worked (when it works) in temps in the 20's, 30's, 40's, and 50's (yeah, it's been a crazy winter). Just one more thing they can't fix.
Lemon buy back time perhaps?
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 06:04 PM

I absolutely hate start/stop, so when you find out what the issue is so I can make mine unavailable all the time.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 06:16 PM

I can turn it off with a button on the console, but always defaults to "on" when you start the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: