2017 Navigation Update - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By GingB

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Angry 2017 Navigation Update

Just tried to update the nav. Can't be any more frustrated. 1-- it takes 75 MINUTES. 2-- the car has to be running and it can't be driven during this time. Even after this step the system takes another 5 HOURS to complete the update in the background. 3-- The disc was defective and had to be returned. 4-- The nav screen and touch screen continue to show update screens and to fix it the system has to be reset, which can only be done at the dealership. MORE WASTED TIME.

Disc costs $150. not worth it since we usually use google maps on our iPhones which is so far superior.

Worst part is when I called disc co. I was told Acura and Honda are aware of disc problems. Of course when I called the dealership the service dept knew nothing about it.

Should have bought another Lexus.

Still can't believe a system design that takes 75 minutes with the engine running to update software was actually released.

kareshi and vic bastige like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 04:48 PM

I had similar problems with the 2017 Navigation update disks on my 2016 ADV.

The first set I received was the wrong part number (the customer service person says this happens often if ordered from web). Returned and got new set (correct part number), which were apparently defective -- it basically "bricked" the entertainment and navigation systems. Dealer tried to reset it -- but that did not work. (Disks also returned for refund)

The Acura Tech support line told my dealer they have to replace entertainment and navigation system, which they are in the process of doing. I've been driving a brand new 2017 MDX Tech loaner for two weeks now. I was told (originally) that it might be three weeks or more.

I would not have minded (too much) if the 75 minute update and 5 hours driving for the update had worked. But they didn't. I'd be careful before doing the update.

This may be part of the reason why the new Hondas no longer use the HERE navigation system/disks. They now apparently use a system supplied by Garmin. (And they support Apple Car Play and the android equivalent, too.)

I'll update this when I get my car back with new navigation/entertainment system.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 11:18 PM

I tried to update my 2015 Advance/Entertainment with the 2017 nav. about two weeks ago. It froze both of my display screens. I brought the car to the dealer on a Monday. They ordered the HDD unit which arrived on Friday but it did not fix the problem. They then ordered the NAVI ODMD W/UL. It arrived on Monday and did fix the problem. I left on a nine day trip on the Friday the first part came in. I returned the loaner a week after my car was repaired at the end of my trip. My thanks to Acura of Baton Rouge for the extended use of the loaner.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 12:05 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc View Post
I tried to update my 2015 Advance/Entertainment with the 2017 nav. about two weeks ago. It froze both of my display screens. I brought the car to the dealer on a Monday. They ordered the HDD unit which arrived on Friday but it did not fix the problem. They then ordered the NAVI ODMD W/UL. It arrived on Monday and did fix the problem. I left on a nine day trip on the Friday the first part came in. I returned the loaner a week after my car was repaired at the end of my trip. My thanks to Acura of Baton Rouge for the extended use of the loaner.
What exactly is the NAVI ODMD W/UL?
I spoke to my dealer today, and he said they had received and replaced the "radio" but were still awaiting the HD from Audiovox. I'm hoping they've ordered all the parts they need, but your response may help them if they have problems.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 04:18 PM

Well, all is well again. Picked up my MDX Advance and all is working properly. System and maps are updated to latest versions, too.

Many thanks to Smithtown Acura for a professional job well done.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 01:19 PM

Hi there,

Can someone walk me through the Navi update? Online or no online. Right now my Navi does not work, and the back up camera sometimes stay on the whole time.

Dealer opened up dash and plugged in a working Navi system only to have no change and then wanted to charge me 2 more hours of exploratory surgery. I declined, and so want to get the update disc and see if I can correct issue myself.

Also, I bought this MDX used, and I'd really like to re-boot the HD and take the previous owners music off.

thanks in advance for your help

G
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggilatx View Post
Hi there,

Can someone walk me through the Navi update? Online or no online. Right now my Navi does not work, and the back up camera sometimes stay on the whole time.

Dealer opened up dash and plugged in a working Navi system only to have no change and then wanted to charge me 2 more hours of exploratory surgery. I declined, and so want to get the update disc and see if I can correct issue myself.

Also, I bought this MDX used, and I'd really like to re-boot the HD and take the previous owners music off.

thanks in advance for your help

G
Is the car still under warranty, so they should not charge you?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blingman View Post
Is the car still under warranty, so they should not charge you?
No, sadly non drive train warranty is 68,300, and of course the Navi took a dump right at 70k.

Are there any other trouble shooting threads for DIYrs? I am wanting to wiggle and scope out loose connections, but if everything is behind the upper screen, that sort of takes me out of it. Really am not wanting to pay $135hr for exploration.

Also, is there a specific site to order the upgrade for 2014? I've put in my VIN on what I guess is the Navi update site, and it appears that the CD is on back order? How could that be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: