Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

2017+ Wheel bolt pattern seems to be 5x120 Again

20K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Wanderlust 
#1 ·
Ok, it looks like with the move to 20" wheels, Acura moved back to from 5x114.3 on the 2014-2016s to 5x120 on the 2017+ (as it was before 2014). So for those of you wondering about interchangeability of the 17s wheels with 2014-2016s... NOPE.

Thanks to AZine folks for spotting this, but confirmation can be seen on the installation instructions for the accessory wheels and it looks like major vendor sites are also showing the update.

That being said, the parts diagrams (assuming they're actually correct), show that only the hub assembly, bolts [and of course the brake discs and wheels] have changed, so one could reasonably swap if you REALLY wanted to. Not really worth the effort unless you're already getting bearing wear and REALLY want to get wheels that are only available in 5x120 (e.g. brands made for European cars).

#3 ·
I don't think the new Ridgeline influenced this as much as the new Pilot, which I believe uses the same 5x120 bolt pattern. The number of Pilots that sell is typically more than the combined sales of the MDX and Ridgeline.

#9 ·
Technically it would need to change the Hub-Bearing combo but dunno if the hub is interchangeable between the 2014-2016 to 2017 knuckle.

#12 ·
Wheel spacers can cause problems such as increased wear on hub bearings. They also can push the wheels out too far (depending on offset of desired rims). There is also a safety concern with spacers.

#14 ·
Technically it’s an adapter, since the lug pattern is different on each end of the spacer.

If you have SH-AWD then it’s important to keep everything as symmetrical as possible. The spare is already “different” so I understand why someone would think that a spacer/adapter would be okay — temporarily.

If you do go the spacer/adapter route, you must get the correct lug nuts for the spacer/adapter. Most spacer/adapters are lug-centric, so you need to use appropriate nuts. You need an extra 5 lugs anyway, since the adapter must be bolted to your hub, then the wheel is bolted to the adapter. I strongly encourage you to keep a torque wrench in the vehicle so that you can properly torque the spacer/adapter. Since they are typically lug-centric, you must ensure it is centered and the torquing procedure (amount and pattern) are of utmost importance.

Personally I wouldn’t — too easy to get the correct spare wheel, instead.

Ultimately, it’s your car so it’s your call.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.