Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Nose Job

10K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Lorenzo Queral 
#1 ·
So I had ordered some carbon fiber wrap off ebay a few weeks ago. Finally got around to trying to wrap the nose of my '14 MDX. It came out 'OK' but don't know how long it will last. Seems to be adhering well, but will probably get rock chips after not too long. I had never work with the vinyl wrap before...if this ends up not aging well, I think I will just get it painted at a body shop. A few observations:

The 'carbon fiber' wrap is sort of a pain to use on a curved part like this. A hair dryer helps a lot, but it would be so much simpler putting it on a flat piece
I removed the 'beak' off the car in order to curve/pull the wrap around the edges and adhere it to the back. At one point I was going to try to put the wrap on with the part on the car- that would have been a disaster.
Getting the beak off the car was time consuming but not too difficult. If I had to do it again, I could do it quicker. There are 2 screws that were moderately difficult to get to.
I tried putting the wrap on the beak in one piece. If I did it again, I would probably do a 2 piece install with a seam right down the middle. I actually had to cut and seam it a little at the top- the curve of the piece makes it difficult to pull the wrap and not get any air bubbles. All in all, it looks OK, but next time, probably just take the piece in to get it painted.

A couple pictures attached.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I like the factory beak as-is but from your photos it looks like you did a nice job of applying the wrap.

I've done multiple coast to coast trips with my 2014, which exposes it to rock hits, but surprisingly the beak part itself seems to be fairly chip-free although the leading edge of the hood has taken some hits. Maybe your wrap will hold up okay. The biggest factor on it would likely be the sun fading it, cracking it, etc. I'd guess.

#13 ·
OK, so in the history of the beak on my car:
Used a carbon fiber look wrap- lasted a year or so before it started getting brittle and cracking/peeling
Took the wrap off and used a primer and couple coats of black spray from a can- looked good but every little bit of sand/rocks from highway use took a little pit out of the paint and looked horrible after a year...-
So I finally sanded it off, scuffed it up and paid the local shop $125 to paint it the same as the body color. Came out nice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.