3rd Gen 'Hidden' Features Thread! - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

3rd Gen 'Hidden' Features Thread!

I tried reading through my TWO 400+ page manuals last night and fell asleep midway through the first one. I read up on some neat tricks and remembered a few features that the dealer showed me. So I thought to see if there was a thread that everyone can combine any 'lesser' known or 'hidden' features. The last one was from 2007, so thought I'd make one for the 3rd Gen.

One hidden feature I did learn before I zonked out was that the remote can open all the windows and sunroof, very useful for those hot days to let all the hot air out and let the car cool down faster. Press unlock twice and then hold it down the third time. All windows and sunroof will open.

Another one, maybe not so much a hidden feature but more of a tip - I believe if you listen to pandora, it sounds much better via USB or AUX rather than bluetooth.

I'm going to review the manuals this weekend and see if I find any others.

Cheers

dolph and garnet81 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkMDX01 View Post
I tried reading through my TWO 400+ page manuals last night and fell asleep midway through the first one. I read up on some neat tricks and remembered a few features that the dealer showed me. So I thought to see if there was a thread that everyone can combine any 'lesser' known or 'hidden' features. The last one was from 2007, so thought I'd make one for the 3rd Gen.

One hidden feature I did learn before I zonked out was that the remote can open all the windows and sunroof, very useful for those hot days to let all the hot air out and let the car cool down faster. Press unlock twice and then hold it down the third time. All windows and sunroof will open.

Another one, maybe not so much a hidden feature but more of a tip - I believe if you listen to pandora, it sounds much better via USB or AUX rather than bluetooth.

Cheers

If you have own acura's before this is a pretty common feature.

Another one that could be on the MDX is .. if you leave the mirror adjustor set to either left or right mirrors, when put in reverse, the mirrors tilt down to help you see the curve.
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 08:17 PM

Quote:

Cheers
Just a FYI, BT is actually always compresses the data it sends (including music), but it is a lot more convenient for most people, which is why it's used more. However, BT always has a lag and it is especially long in the MDX (or almost all Honda family vehicles for that matter... about 3 seconds), so when you switch music tracks using BT, expect to wait for that delay. When watching videos, good luck, as it will never sync.

Also the sad thing about the all window down feature is that there is no all window up control using the fob buttons. You have to pull out the key and hold it ... left i think... to close all the windows. Also, the sunroof closes slower than the rest of the windows, so keep that in mind when doing it, as you can potentially accidentally leave one window or the sunroof open.

Good on you for reading the manual! I find that a lot of the questions asked on here can just be found in those books
NewYorkMDX01 likes this.

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoshi View Post

Also the sad thing about the all window down feature is that there is no all window up control using the fob buttons. You have to pull out the key and hold it ... left i think... to close all the windows. Also, the sunroof closes slower than the rest of the windows, so keep that in mind when doing it, as you can potentially accidentally leave one window or the sunroof open.

I know with the 4th Gen TL, there was a module that could be installed to make the fob keys close the window too. Wonder if it will work with the MDX's too.
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 11:38 PM

Do you know there is a tray inside of glove box that's turned upside down? Look on the top of glove box and If you pull it out turn it over and reinstall you can put your manuals on it.
kareshi, MDXsh16 and garnet81 like this.
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 08:24 AM

Great thread. This is all new to me.

Another trick. The USB only supports FAT32 file format so you are limited to 32GB for playing music, but you can download a utility to do this. You can have a USB drive up to 2TB this way. And dispite the manual telling you not to use a card reader, you can do this, and just reuse your old SD cards as mini CDs. This might be a better option as navigating the large USB drive could be quite slow, so a bunch of smaller SD cards can help you organize. Then you could put in your "classics" SD or your "metal rock" SD depending on your mood.

2014 MDX Navi
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 03:29 PM

Huh? FAT32 can address up to 2 TB. The 32 refers to the number of bits in the address, not the number of GB possible.
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
Huh? FAT32 can address up to 2 TB. The 32 refers to the number of bits in the address, not the number of GB possible.
Yes, the physical limit for FAT32 is 2TB but in Windows (at least Windows 7 and Windows 10), you will not be able to format a FAT32 volume larger than 32GB. It will make you choose exFAT or NTFS instead which aren't compatible with our cars. Windows will in fact mount and read/write to a FAT32 volume larger than 32GB, it just won't format a new drive to it.

Actually, my dash cam has the same FAT32 limitation so I used the same utility to format a 64GB micro SD card for it.
Wanderlust likes this.

2014 MDX Navi
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 06:18 PM

Quote:

Cheers
It's not just Acura. My 07 rx350,04 Saab,12 Volvo all opened all the windows,etc with the remote. My 04,Saab conv even lowered the top with the remote. And it was stock. No addin.

2014 MDX,TECH. CHERRY AWD
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 01:10 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonmdx View Post
Do you know there is a tray inside of glove box that's turned upside down? Look on the top of glove box and If you pull it out turn it over and reinstall you can put your manuals on it.
Thanks. Never realized/checked until I read your post.
post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDXsh16 View Post
Thanks. Never realized/checked until I read your post.
Me too. First thing I did was go in and flipped mine around. So much better now getting to the insurance and registration.

2014 MDX Navi
post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 06:30 PM

Use voice input while driving

One of my frustrations with my 2015 MDX is that many of the navigation features are disabled when the car is moving. I know this is a safety issue but if the passenger could do the input and manipulation then it would prevent distraction for the driver. However, I found that the audio input helps a lot in this situation. You can easily switch to the second driver address book, or simply input an address by voice and it is actually pretty good at inputting the correct information. Put in the entire address including the city and state. I also found that if you speak too loudly the system has a hard time understanding, speak in a normal level and don't pause between words.
post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jads View Post
However, I found that the audio input helps a lot in this situation. You can easily switch to the second driver address book,

Can you explain more on how to do this? Switch to the 2nd driver address book?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

I never would use the voice commands for anything. I could almost guarantee I would get frustrated and pissed off and flip into road rage mode before it could make the right phone call.

On a side note....my old MDX, I used to be able to flip the top console lid over to reveal cupholders for the 2nd row. It was helpful if I had 2 or 3 guests back there.
Did we LOSE that in the 3rd generation? the console lid does not open all the way. I see that the 2nd row has cupholders, but does not work if you have a third passenger. What can they do?
post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 03:41 PM

Yeah, that's gone now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: