LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 01:54 AM Thread Starter

How much do you pay A123 service?

A123 service at around 30,000 miles:
- A: Engine oil replacement
- 1: Tire rotation
- 2: Cabin filter
- 3: Transmission fluid

I'm in San Jose, CA, where everything is expensive. A nearby Acura dealership quote is close to $550 including tax. See the attached picture. Among them, cabin filter replacement costs $160? Seriously? Of course, I do it by myself. I purchased "WIX Filters - 24815 Cabin Air Panel" from Amazon at $18, and it took me literally a minute to replace it.

I really don't understand this kind of tactics from the dealerships. Is there something special treatment of this $160 cabin filter replacement service?

By the way, what's your typical budget for this A123 service? To be more exact, A13.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-10-16 at 10.45.44 PM.png
Views:	622
Size:	229.6 KB
ID:	86001  

2014 MDX SH-AWD Advance White/Eucalyptus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 02:44 AM

You got to understand that Dealership Prices are often overpriced, literally 9 out of 10 times the dealership is basically stealing your money.. There is nothing special about their process to replace the air cabin, they ask for that much money because YOU the owner do not know how to do it yourself so you are paying for the knowledge and the piece of mind. They also have to pay the "pseudo-Certified" mechanics by the hour rate and California has one of the most expensive hour rate charges in the country.. So that is basically why it cost so much.

I sincerely haven't paid for these kind of services in my entire adult life, I learn how to mess with cars in my teens so I havenīt had a budget for anything car labor related for more than a decade, if there is a budget its for parts only. Having a garage well equipped saves you lots of money in the long run.

Being said that, The special process that the new ZF Requires for the ATF change makes it entirely not Casual DIYer Friendly and it seems that dealerships are trying to make many new difficult processes to make you pay the Labor

2G MDX Tech & Entert // Sport Running Board // F&R Fender Garnish // Wheel Locks // K&N Filter making a billion horsepower...
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 09:28 AM

I've found that if you call and start asking questions about the cost, the price comes down in a hurry. I just had all my fluids changed out and the transmission fluid was $96. Same fluid and quantity for a '14 as a '12.

'12 MDX Tech

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcarole View Post

I'm in San Jose, CA, where everything is expensive. A nearby Acura dealership quote is close to $550 including tax. See the attached picture. Among them, cabin filter replacement costs $160? Seriously? Of course, I do it by myself. I purchased "WIX Filters - 24815 Cabin Air Panel" from Amazon at $18, and it took me literally a minute to replace it.

I really don't understand this kind of tactics from the dealerships. Is there something special treatment of this $160 cabin filter replacement service?

By the way, what's your typical budget for this A123 service? To be more exact, A13.
I typically try to DIY my maintenance items when I can, so I don't know off hand how much my dealership charges. If you're not the DIY type, I would think that an independent mechanic could do the same services at a better price than the dealer service department. You just have to make sure he uses the right fluids.

2015 MDX SH-AWD Tech - Silver Moon/Graystone
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skirmich View Post
You got to understand that Dealership Prices are often overpriced, literally 9 out of 10 times the dealership is basically stealing your money.. There is nothing special about their process to replace the air cabin, they ask for that much money because YOU the owner do not know how to do it yourself so you are paying for the knowledge and the piece of mind. They also have to pay the "pseudo-Certified" mechanics by the hour rate and California has one of the most expensive hour rate charges in the country.. So that is basically why it cost so much.

I sincerely haven't paid for these kind of services in my entire adult life, I learn how to mess with cars in my teens so I havenīt had a budget for anything car labor related for more than a decade, if there is a budget its for parts only. Having a garage well equipped saves you lots of money in the long run.
I agree that the basic maintenance services are typically overpriced, and that those services are good money makers for dealers. However, I wouldn't go as far as saying that the dealership is "stealing" your money. The dealers set their prices, and vehicle owners are free to choose to have their service done there or somewhere else. I'm not exactly sure what percentage the techs get from the dealer's hourly rates (my best guess is between 20-35% depending on skill level), but it's obviously not 100%. With the dealer rates, you are paying for other "services". This probably includes: a clean, modern, and upscale facility with a nicely furnished waiting area; training for techs; the service advisor/writer, manager, and other support staff; loaner vehicles; car wash and vacuum; snacks, drinks, and the coffee machine; and the giant flat panel TV, cable service, and Wi-Fi. Some vehicle owners like these kinds of things, so they'll pony up and pay the premium. Aside from the loaner vehicle, I personally don't value those things as much when I need to have basic maintenance done. But if I have something like an odd problem or intermittent issue on a relatively new vehicle that needs to be addressed, I'm willing to pay the dealer's prices.

Now if the dealership is charging for services that don't get done or pushing work that isn't definitely not needed or called for by the manufacturer, then yes, I'd agree that they're stealing from the customer. This is part of what defines the word "stealership".

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 12:33 PM

Sounds like Stevens Creek prices... I wish I still remembered the indie Honda shop I used to go to when I was in college, but the information is long gone. I would definitely DIY the filters and engine oil, but the transmission fluid is up to you. There is a procedure to monitor temps using a specialized tool while doing the change, but realistically, you could probably manage a DIY drain and refill without it, run it after a drain and refill to bring it up to temp, then repeat about three times, and after the last drive up to operating temps, just open the fill plug again and make sure it is topped off.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoshi View Post
I would definitely DIY the filters and engine oil, but the transmission fluid is up to you. There is a procedure to monitor temps using a specialized tool while doing the change, but realistically, you could probably manage a DIY drain and refill without it, run it after a drain and refill to bring it up to temp, then repeat about three times, and after the last drive up to operating temps, just open the fill plug again and make sure it is topped off.
It looks like the OP has a '14 model (6 speed), so the transmission fluid change should be the classic drain and fill procedure.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmet View Post
It looks like the OP has a '14 model (6 speed), so the transmission fluid change should be the classic drain and fill procedure.
Oh yup even easier!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcarole View Post

Filter: $10.00 Filter disposal fee: $150.00
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 09:52 AM

MDX tech FWD - Jan 2014
So I just got B1 service done at 22k miles basically just oil change and oil filter change as I had tire rotation from Costco and changed cabin filter in glove box and engine filter myself. I am hoping A123 shud not light up at 30k.
if it does - should I go only for Transmission Fluid??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark890 View Post
I am hoping A123 shud not light up at 30k.
if it does - should I go only for Transmission Fluid??
These usually call for transmission fluid around 30k. It's pretty simple and as mentioned above, my dealer charges less than $100 for that. No reason it should be higher, it's just a few quarts of fluid and a basic drain/fill. Anyone charging much more than that for such a simple service is ripping you off.

'12 MDX Tech
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 10:26 AM

goodness gracious....the price....aaarrrghhh. makes you want to pull your hair out.

'Stealership. At your service.'
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMDX View Post
Filter: $10.00 Filter disposal fee: $150.00

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 08:24 AM

I am at 57,700 miles on 2014 MDX and I got the A123. Took it to the dealership and they wanted $895!! I looked over the list of things and decided not to do all of the service. How often do you change transmission fluid?
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMoceri View Post
I am at 57,700 miles on 2014 MDX and I got the A123. Took it to the dealership and they wanted $895!! I looked over the list of things and decided not to do all of the service. How often do you change transmission fluid?
I think typically the transmission fluid change interval hovers around 30K miles. Some owners who are really into their vehicles even change it more often because it's an easy DIY task.

For what it's worth, prior to Acura implementing the maintenance minder in their vehicles I believe their recommended ATF change interval was 30K miles.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: