Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

2017 Acura MDX Speedometer, is Digital available?

28K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  slash007 
#1 ·
I just test drove the 2016 and it doesnt have a digital speedo. Will the 2017 have them?

#3 ·
I took home a 2016 for a night to see how I liked it, and the low res display really bothered me. Acura make a lot of upgrades to 2017 that were nice, but I'm wondering if they at least changed the resolution of the top screen. I know the setup is the same, but with the addition of 360 camera it would suck to have to look at those cameras on that crappy screen. Anyone see any videos or pictures of the new cameras displayed?

#4 ·
I despise digital speedometers. Just another reason I went MDX instead of the new Pilot. Not my cup of tea. Having it be available as a setting (like how you can see SH-AWD, Compass, Oil Life etc) would be cool for those people who want it. But being only digital like the Pilot would not be cool in my book.

#7 ·
Yeah, I decided MDX over XC90 on cost as well as long term cost of ownership. Estimates on Swedespeed of $2K a year upkeep/repair after the warranty expires scared me away.

Have a 2008 XC90 I love but simple things going bad are sooooo much $$ compared to my Hondas.

Lots of people from this board jumping ship to the XC though and I don't think I can blame them. Not what I decided but still a reasonable decision.

#8 ·
I don't mind not having a digital speedo since I like my needles but damn is that hard to make it optional at the MID?
Should be at the Trip Meter screen:

Current Speed / Average Speed
========MPG==========

#10 ·
I would be bothered by the lack of an analog speedo. That said, my XC90's has an analog speedo and a big digital speedo. My wife really hated that the MDX didn't have digital, so she's real happy with the XC90's display.

#11 ·
Why not remove the Tacho while we are in there and have it done digitally? It´s an Automatic anyway no need for Tachs.
Heck why even bother with a needle at all? its all old tech anyway Remove the Fuel and Temp Gauges too

I still think adding the option to the trip meter is the best of both worlds, Not complicated for Acura to develop in software and Not intrusive for the Dashboard.

Current Speed / Average Speed
========MPG==========

#12 ·
Im not asking for it to be exactly like that. Look at the 0 at the top, thats what I want. I digital portion in the middle of a tach and speedo. No one is saying to get rid of analog/needle based guages. Just freakin add the dag on digital portion.

Its vital for people like me because I need to know EXACTLY how man mph Im going. Its the difference between a ticket and just below the threshold. Having to focus on the damn analog needle, to see the little tiny lines and where the needle is, every couple seconds............ makes for a less safe driving experience.

Adding a digital option isnt the end of the world. Nissan and infiniti do an amazing job and making a very sexy dash, without compromising the analog portions of the dash.

#13 ·
Id like to add, I can also see my digital speedo, right next to the directions, without ever having to even look at the nav screen to my right

I paid 36k for a brand new, AWD platinum with every single option added. If Im going to pay close to 60k for an Acura, I sure as heck better get some more modern tech. I was about to buy the 2016, before I found out it doesnt have 360 view or a speedo. I left a few minutes later.

I shouldnt have to pay close to 2k, after paying 60k..... just to get those two features added to the car and calibrated properly.

#14 ·
Okay I'll say it - I find it very odd someone would refuse to buy a vehicle simply because it doesn't have a digital speedometer - something most people would place well below an analog speedo in preferences. I also don't see a dire need for one - just use the analog speedo and you're done. If one's so worried about going 1-2mph over the speed limit and thereby getting a ticket (which rarely happens in practice in most locales) then go a couple mph under the limit. Whether it's a digital speedo or analog speedo one would have to keep checking it to try to keep going exactly a particular speed. On a (non-busy) freeway one can just set the cruise control and be worry free. It just seems like a really weird reason to not buy an otherwise desirable vehicle but we all have our particular wants.

Given that, adding a digital speedo would be a nit for the manufacturer to do. The vehicle already knows in digital terms the speed and already has a means to display it in the MID. All it would likely take is a bit of software and they could satisfy those who might want a digital speedo for whatever reason.

But you can call my vehicle buying odd as well - I wouldn't buy a gray/silver, white, or black vehicle - the shades most of you prefer. I don't want a vehicle that fades into a shade of gray and prefer an actual color - but I realize I'm apparently the oddball here because so many people seem to like gray vehicles for some reason.

This is why there are so many makes/models of vehicles on the road - everyone has different preferences and priorities. If a digital speedo is a must have for someone then just skip the MDX and move on to a vehicle that has one.

#15 ·
If you are so worried about speed tickets get a GPS unit that display current speed and local speed limits.. My Tom Tom GO600 do this so I in a way have a digital speedo, When I am over the speed limit by 5mph a RED BAR shows in the GPS, it even has the legal threshold of over 4-5mph the limit which shows an Orange Bar. This is useful for you and as a Bonus its a WAY BETTER GPS THAN THE OEM UNIT.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.