Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

2015 MDX - couple of gripes wondering if anybody has solutions

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  manera 
#1 ·
I recently moved from a 2007 MDX to a 2015 MDX and have a few little gripes on the new one and I was curious if anybody had solutions for it. I searched both topics and didn't seem to find anything.

First up - the trifold cargo mat for the back, it slides around constantly. Is there something that was supposed to come with it to keep it from sliding or do I need to put on some sort of carpet velcro to get it to not slide around?

Second and the more annoying one - Handling. The 2007 MDX seemed to have great turn in, and didn't produce any understeer at moderate speeds. The 2015 MDX doesn't seem to want to turn in at all. One of the worst handling cars I have driven in a very long time. Is there an alignment setting that people are using to produce less understeer?

#3 ·
Yeah most folks put on velcro to stick it down. Flipping those four metal tabs up kind of helps, but not enough.

Personally, I'm a fan of -1.5 rear -1.0 front 0 toe, but I also think we need a thicker rear sway bar, which would increase the NVH in the rear.

#5 ·
Thank you. I'll probably give the velcro a try. I'll try the alignment setting... 0 toe front and rear, or just rear?

I think the MDX handles great for an SUV - it's one of its best features.

Did you test drive before buying this one? If you really think there's an issue maybe you can drive another one they have on the lot, the 2016 should handle the same. You can compare them just to see if possibly yours wasn't aligned properly or has some other issue.
Yes I test drove it first, but never really drove it hard during the test drive. Car drives fine under slow conditions, but under moderate/sprinted driving the front understeer is very noticable, especially compared to my prior MDX. Both were on the OEM latitude tires as well so I assume tires aren't the issue and it's an alignment problem.

Might just be me though, my wife never notices the understeer :)

#4 ·
I think the MDX handles great for an SUV - it's one of its best features.

Did you test drive before buying this one? If you really think there's an issue maybe you can drive another one they have on the lot, the 2016 should handle the same. You can compare them just to see if possibly yours wasn't aligned properly or has some other issue.

#7 ·
I actually noticed the handling difference from the 07 vs a Brand new 15 when I was given one as a loaner for a week.. So its not your experience only. The 15 has Literally ZERO Turn in compared to the 07, And the understeer is more prevalent.
This can be contributed to 2 things IMO:

1.- SH-AWD is heavily tuned down in the 15 to gain more MPGs thus making it very FWD biased under light load even when SH-AWD is equipped, So in order to fight it you have to really be pushing it to make the rear end kick in which wasn't needed in the 07.

2.- Rear and front sway bars are a complete Joke...This was noticeable in every day driving the 15 has WAAAYYY more body roll than the 07, but in return the 15 has a better ride for sure. Perhaps with the Diet on the 3G MDX they revamped the Sway Bars and made a miss-match or they did it on purpose to get a better ride.

What I would do is get stiffer sway bars (Are there any?) first then springs (Good luck on that)...
And about the SH-AWD bias well you are screwed with that one..
Unless you push it you basically have a VTM-4 MDX until you are around +4K RPM then SH-AWD kicks in yo!

#8 ·
Interestingly enough, weren't the aftermarket sway bars for that gen maxed around 27mm rear 24.5mm front? That means the stock bars on the 2G were much smaller than what we run now, as the 3G has 24 front for the FWD/25 front for the AWD and 25.4 rear for the FWD/26.5 rear for the AWD. I do agree though that the old gen stuff did turn better (I could even argue my 2000 Odyssey did as well). The springs now do feel softer than the old gen for obvious reasons. There are no aftermarket sway bars that I have found (and I have been looking... probably need to ask a fabricator to make them).

#9 ·
Weight was also a factor on the 07 and the stiffer springs, So the sway bars could be smaller and still be better tuned. Perhaps they can also be hollow vs full sways?. Not saying they are enough for my taste though, I could live with the Stiffer Sport sways for sure which is a future upgrade in my list..

It would make sense though with the weight reduction of the 3G that the sway bars were Hollow so they need to be a bigger OD.. Perhaps the 07 sways are full and thus why they can get away with being a smaller OD while being stiffer than the 3Gs.

You could also in theory call EIBACH and made them do a custom work for you but that will be $$$$, Yeah...

#13 ·
Sounds fixed then, which is pretty common anyway. If you're ever in an accident with frame damage then, it's always best to check your alignment after the fix. If it's way off, the shop can't straighten the frame then you'll need caster plates (if compatible ones even exist!).

#14 ·
1. I haven't done anything for the tri-fold mat either - but I'm thinking some velcro (rough side on the mat) or possibly a carpet runner underlay mat might help)

2. what tires are you on? the switch from the oem 19" Michelin tires (which produced more and more understeer as they wore) to the BFG All-Terrain K02 makes 'night & day' seem like an understatement. The car almost oversteers and corners amazingly sharp considering how stiff the sidewalls are.

Camber/Caster/Toe etc can only go so far, but if your contact patch can't put power to the ground, it's going to handle terribly

just my .02, good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.