Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Photo Comparison: Weathertech vs. Acura Mats / Liners for Third Gen MDX

23K views 38 replies 26 participants last post by  Lorenzo Queral 
#1 ·
I always use some kind of all-season mats or liners in our vehicles. I ordered the WeatherTech "Digital Fit" floorliners for the MDX before our vehicle arrived. Our MDX came with the Acura all-season mats included, but I removed them on day 2 based on the following evaluation. I hope that this may help those deciding between the two.

The WeatherTechs are listed as the same fit for the 2014, 2015, and 2016 models. As of this writing, the 2017 MDX hasn't been shipped yet, and I have no idea of whether the current mats will fit it.

The main feature of the WeatherTechs is the additional area protected, most notably in the front driver's floorliner. A floorliner usually covers more area than a mat, though one can argue about the definitions.

The Acura mats use a more rubbery material so they don't maintain any shape, but are thus "grippy" under your footwear. The WeatherTech mats use a stiffer, thermoplastic or similar material so they aren't as "sticky" but the retain their shape.

This is the front driver's side comparison. Note that both have the notches to "lock in" the mat using the toggle buttons on the floor of the MDX. You can see a huge difference in coverage.

I overexposed the photos a bit so you could see more detail in the mats. Each floor tile is 12" square so you get the idea of how big the WeatherTechs are.

In the following photo, I nested the Acura mat inside the WeatherTech to show the additional area the WeatherTech covers

But it's more than just the flat area -- the WeatherTech is far deeper and actually runs up the sides a bit, to try to contain any spills and cover more area under the pedals. I guess the stiffer thermoplastic helps it go for a deeper shape.

Here is a photo of the WeatherTech installed in the driver's area. It covers the area under the brake and gas pedals, runs up the console a bit, and covers more than half of the dead pedal. I think the Acura mats don't attempt to cover the area under the pedals because the floppier rubber could interfere with the pedals and cause lawsuits. I don't see how the WeatherTechs could have that problem because they are stiff and there's no bending, and it's locked in with the Acura fasteners.

For the front passenger, the WeatherTech runs up the sides more than the Acura model. It's much deeper. Again, it has the notches to securely lock into the Acura toggle fasteners.

Here are the second-row mats, with the Acura nested inside the WeatherTech ones. One difference here is that the WeatherTech does NOT have the notches to lock onto the Acura toggle fasteners on the floor. This must have been a conscious decision as there are molded "bumps" to go over them. After playing with it, I don't think there's anything lost here as I don't see how that mat can move by itself in a limited space, and the "bumps" do catch onto the shape of the fasteners even though it's not the same as locking in.

OTOH the WeatherTech also covers some additional area going under the front seats. It covers the ends of the front seat rails and the area in between. I've tested it with the front seats all the way back and there is no interference. The lip of the liner of the WeatherTech is deeper, though not as pronounced as in the front mats.

Because the WeatherTech's second row liner is bigger, it's a slightly tougher install to insert it correctly. Once it's in, it doesn't budge, though. Been there 2.5 months and two kids haven't dislodged it.

I didn't buy the third row mats; we rarely use the third row.

Summing it up ...

Why buy the WeatherTech?

• You want superior coverage especially for the driver. I'm disappointed how little area the Acura mats cover and how gunk can easily accumulate in front of the mat.
  • You want protection against spills that can be contained by the deeper lips (though the second row WeatherTech mat isn't that much deeper, and that's where the spilling kiddies would ride ... so it's more you and your latte, or your passenger dropping their grande or beer can).
  • You prefer the smoother, non-gripping surface (good for softer-sole shoes that can grab too much).
  • You want mats that are easier to do a heavy cleaning on (hose them down). The Acura mats are rubbery and have deeper molded channels that don't release the dirt as easily and take longer to dry. The WeatherTechs are smoother and release the dirt quicker and dry faster. Keep in mind that the 2nd row WeatherTech mats are harder to put in/remove than the Acuras, though.

Why buy the Acura?
  • You don't want to spend as much. I see occasional coupons on the WeatherTechs, but they're more expensive. Especially if you get the Acura mats for free!
  • You want a grippier mat (if you wear dress shoes with smooth bottoms, they'd slide around more on the WeatherTechs, even with the ribs) (then again if you wear those kind of shoes in the MDX you probably don't need either mat anyway!).
  • You require the MDX logo on your mat, to remind you and your front passenger that you have an MDX. :rolleyes:

I decided to keep the WeatherTechs rather than returning them While I don't routinely track a bucket of mud on my boots into the MDX, dirt does get there. The deciding factor was how much more coverage there was under the pedals.

See less See more
#2 ·
My preference would be Weathertech up front and OEM for the back. The back fit nicely at the beginning but the outer part started to curl inwards so now I have a gap. I've had Weathertech in my previous vehicles and even the fronts ended up having a bit of a gap over time which I didn't like. The OEM Acura rear ones seem to cover right to the edge and in terms of preventing stuff getting on the carpet, it looks like the OEM would be pretty good (not as good as Weathertech). My rear Weathertech sometimes moves around too when I have adults in the car likely due to the Weathertech being so thin and light. I am sure OEM is heavier due to it being rubber and thicker so that wouldn't be an issue. Weathertech fronts are really great. Prefect fit with no gaps at all and way better coverage than the OEM.

#3 ·
How long did it take for your WeatherTech rear and your older front mats to develop some gapping? And are you in a warm climate, and is the vehicle parked in a warm space most of the time? Just curious.

I certainly have the flexibility to put the OEM mats in the rear -- they were free and I could just wait to see if the WeatherTech 2nd rows build a gap.

#7 ·
I started getting gaps within a few months. I am in Toronto so it is cold in the winter. However, I got mine last year and it wasn't yet cold when the gap started forming. I wouldn't worry about the fronts though. I don't see it deforming or anything to the point you get gaps for the fronts.

#5 ·
we live in chicago and have the weathertech. went to their location and picked up. couldnt of had made a better decision...they did awesome during the last winter and will probably do well during the rainy season as well.

definitely recommend

#6 ·
i've had the weathertech's last fall.

The fronts fit nicely; specifically the sidewalls. the second row on the other hand; the the sidewalls facing the rear doors arrived 'curled' inward towards the car leaving a gap between the door threshold and inside of the car. this will lead to dirt and pebbles to fall in between. during the winter i contacted weathertech to request a warranty replacement. they told me the warranty covers one-time replacement if theyd send me a new one. they also suggested i try to turn the 2-nd row liner upside down to see if they would straighten out so once theyre put in, the sidewalls would stay put. this did not work. i did end up adding bags of soil to see if that would help and it did. but i guess the memory in the plastic resulted in the the sidewalls to curl right back up again.

anyone else notice the curl on the 2nd row floorliners?

Not sure why they didnt manufacture this one similar to sidewalls on the driver and passengers'?

anyway, i might just have to go thru warranty to get my OCD brought down a notch.

#15 ·
I know that this reply is late, but I’ve got the Husky liners in my ’15. I haven’t tried the Weathertech liners, but from what’s been posted here I’d guess that they are comparable in terms of material; kind of like a soft plastic.

The Husky liners did develop a slight gap between the side of the liner and the plastic trim near the floor; but the gap didn’t seem big enough that it was a problem for us.

One thing to note about the Husky liners is that they have tiny spikes molded in the bottom to keep them from sliding around the carpet. I cut off a few of them from the sides where they come in contact with the plastic floor trim. The driver’s liner also has holes that allow the use of the locking factory floor mat retainers, while the front passenger one fits over the retainers but does not allow them to lock.

I went with the Husky liners because I got the first and second row sets for about $26 less than the comparable Weathertech sets. I believe that Weathertech makes good products, but I think that they’re kind of sitting on their name now. That makes it harder to get a deal on the Weathertech products. I also think that the competing brands are just as good but can be had for less.

If I were to buy a set of floor liners for my next new vehicle, Weathertechs would probably be at the bottom of my list if they keep the status quo on their pricing. I’d look first at Findway, Husky, 3D MAXpider, and Maxliner USA brands. As long as I don’t have some obscure vehicle model, I’m sure that among them they’d offer a liner set for what I’m driving. OEMs are starting to floor liners to their all weather floor mat selection as well. And even though I probably wouldn’t go this route, I’ve seen low priced custom fit floor liners for sale on Groupon.

#9 ·
I have both OEM and Weathertechs - I live in the snow belt and the one thing I did not see mentioned about the OEM mats... The grey MDX lettering is not molded into the mat but is a separate piece that is just 'tack' melted in place. The problem here is that slush and liquids seep through the gap around the grey insert to the carpet below since it is not sealed. Bad design. And once that moisture gets under the mat guess what? It can't get out. Anybody want to buy some OEM floor mats - I won't be using them!

#13 ·
good to know i am not the only one.

though should have re-enforced the side walls or at least brought it up and over the door sills (just a little bit under the door) and just over the hump of the 2nd row seat where the seat tracks are located.

my kids step on this hump for boost when they need to get into their car seats. the back side of the mats further roll-up,

#14 ·
One thing I hate about weathertech is that they're plastic. when I have my work attire on (suits), my shoes slip when I try to get in and out plus I hate the feeling of that plastic. It's great materials and covers a lot more area but I returned my set. I prefer the oem rubber ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#17 ·
2014--2017 All Weather Mats = Same Part #

I looked up the Acura MDX All Weather Mats and the same part # was listed for the 2014-->2017.

I had my 2014 AWMs replaced under warranty since the grey MDX lettering that is molded into the mat became separated and I always got sand and dirt under the mat.

If I get a new 2017 MDX that he dealer ordered for me next month, I will keep the mats, back folded mat pad, and the roof cross rails.

Reactions: MTD
#26 ·
I picked up a set of Weathertechs for my 2013, not seeing this thread first. I didn't think twice about the purchase as I wanted the best. Well...passenger side fit perfectly. Driver's side had a gap along the sill side, where the greatest opportunity for slush and sand to get to the carpeting, and it does. The rest of the driver's side fit like a glove.

Weathertech sent a replacement set which was exactly the same. I'm going to try to reshape the mat with the help of a heat gun, but I don't have faith that will work.

#28 ·
I bought the Husky Weatherbeater for my '17 had the factory rubber mats in my '14 which I kept, the rear coverage is fine but the fronts do not cover enough around the gas pedal. The Husky mats fit very well and provide allot of coverage. I had Weathertechs in other vehicles and the fit was not great, when I contacted customer support about it they suggested I use a heat gun to remold them, i tried but it made little difference.

#31 ·
I just wanted to add my .02 since I'm new on here. I went with the Aries mats including the trunk tray. I had WeatherTech mats in my last 3 cars. They really are great, but my gripe has always been as time goes on they scratch up and look "tired" even when you scrub them and clean them up. I also have the slipping problem when my shoes are wet.

Also someone has mentioned that the rears curl up on the edges. This has happened in all 3 of my cars in the last 7 years. In the spring I would take a heat gun and turn them over to fix the edges. It would be a temporary fix because I would be back to curling edges within a few months. I decided I would try something new this time around.

So with the Aries you get the fit and coverage of the WeatherTech, but the a little more flexability and not as scratch prone. My feet do not slip as much or at all. They also really stay in place. I don't see any possibility of a gap forming since the mat "sticks" to the carpet. I still need to get through the winter to see how they hold up. Based on the one snow storm so far with the muck and salt they look good.

Lastly they are about half the cost of the WeatherTech and the trunk may folds like the OEM one.

Good luck everyone!

#32 ·
If you use your MDX under the following circumstances, you should consider Weather Tech floor coverage:

foul, damp weather rain, sleet, snow,
rural, dirt areas
grungy, city streets
long distance travel
Kids
Pets
Groceries

Pros: Improved protective coverage to the carpet.
Easy maintenance for cleaning.
Extreme improvement of quality standards of the Acura factory floor mats.

Cons: Not sexy.
A bit bulky in appearance.
Rough on bare feet when traveling in the summer. Bring socks, slippers or factory mat.
Tough on good shoes. Yes, we do wear nice shoes to work or funerals.
Not a perfect fit but it's on the floor so no worries.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.