Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Do Your Own Oil Change?

8K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  FEM 
#1 ·
I find it surprising that I have not come across any complaints about the way this vehicle is set up for oil changes.

I have had three tries at the procedure, so far, and in all cases I have wound up with everything from drips to spills on my garage floor.

There are two problems. First, the access to the oil filter is terrible. Inexcusable. This makes it very difficult to get the oil filter out without spilling and without follow-on drips on the floor.

Second, the oil filler pipe is inaccessible without some sort of funnel.

I am a design engineer. I have seen a lot of stupid, stupid design work in my days. This is perhaps the most stupid, because it would have taken no extra money and very little extra thought to make for an easy way to change oil. There is no reason that the shrouding around the oil filter could not have been done is such a way so as to provide acceptable access. There is no reason that the filler pipe on the top could not have been extended upward so as to not require a special tool. Think about it... with this car you have to have a special tool to add a quart of oil without making a complete mess.

I am guessing that the people who did the design work on this part of the car are the same people who were in charge of the navigation system.

See less See more
#2 ·
Are you new to Honda/Acura? The transaxle nature and VTEC solenoid position makes the filter unable to be repositioned somewhere else, Even in the new DI Engine the filter is in the same place because of the VTEC Actuator.
Regardless of that, The oil filter has been in the same place since +20years ago..
All J Series engine has the filter in the same place. Its very easy to do a clean job.. You just need practice, Put your used oil pan below the filter and unscrew it half a turn. All excess oil will drip through the oil filter case directly into your oil pan. Once enough has been drained just unscrew it very carefully and I can guarantee you it will be removed cleanly with no drips in the floor.

I do this inside my garage with Marble Floors.. My wife would kill me if even at the slightest hint of an oil mark in the floor.

You should see a Mazda MX-5 (Miata) with the filter sitting horizontal in the engine side, ITS IMPOSSIBLE to remove it without the whole block stained in nasty oil....

The engine fill hole is not below because of bad engineering this is basically a J Series engine stock casting not custom made for the MDX, the reason it sits below its because of the front bumper main frame. Its because of safety there is a giant beam on top of the radiator. Thus since the engine is basically a stock J Series cast the fill hole sits "Lower"..

I dunno how a long neck funnel is that hard to use? I am a Mechanical Engineer and I can assure you there is more than enough room to do a clean job. With a pair of ramps it takes me less than 15 minutes to change the oil without a single drip.

#3 ·
I agree that it'd be nice if the filter was placed more conveniently for changing but I realize this isn't the top priority in engine/vehicle design and as 'skirmich' stated, the same basic engine block often ends up getting used in a number of different vehicles. There are very few vehicles where the filter's very convenient but some are worse than others and I consider this one worse than a number of others I've worked on (I always change oil myself) but doable. To help with the drainage when removing the filter I use a form-a-funnel from Pig - it works great.

But - every time I change the filter I wish they put it in a more convenient location so I understand the frustration.

The oil filler of most vehicles requires a funnel to fill it without spilling oil. Even the most convenient locations would be difficult to fill without a funnel if you don't want to spill oil. I often use a quart oil container with the bottom cut off as a funnel for putting oil in. In the case of the MDX it's offset and down low a bit so one just needs to use an appropriate funnel. Since a funnel's needed anyway to not spill oil it's no big deal to use the right kind. These are cheap enough that one could keep a spare in the vehicle if they want - i.e. a $3 funnel for a proverbial $50K vehicle isn't going to break the bank.

#4 ·
I agree. I wish the oil filter was easier to access as I used a torque wrench to tighten the oil filter for my other previous and current cars (I know a lot of people don't but it give me comfort to know that it is not too tight or too loose). But on the other hand, it is not difficult and I am able to change it so that's fine. I wish all oil changes would be like my BMW though as you don't need to go underneath the car to change the filter. With an oil pump, you don't even need to raise the car, although I do raise it to drain the oil.

#5 ·
Yes I am new to Honda.

Well good, you are a mechanical engineer. I have two degrees in mechanical engineering. And I grew up working in a service station, doing oil changes. And I have changed my own oil for over 50 years. So, I hardly think this is a problem of inexperience or incompetence, as you seem to imply.

I have now made three tries, and my floor is still none the better for it. So I give you full credit for staying on the right side of your wife, something i have not been able to achieve to date.

My complaint is not about the location of the filter, per se. My complaint is that access is constrained by panels that could have been designed in consideration of reasonable access, and weren't. Are poorly arranged plastic panels part of the Honda tradition? And is the filler tube another example of a long term Honda tradition that is immune to proper modification for the application at hand? I see no interference or safety concern in extending the filler tube to provide reasonable access. If you are telling me that every part number on this engine is identical to other Hondas and that common parts is the overriding concern for Honda, I guess I have to accept that I bought a modern version of a General Motors X-Car. Great, a $50,000 X-Car.

Mdxtang, I agree with you. Many cars I have had or worked on have some difficulty changing the filter. I understand that placement of the filter for easy access by shade tree mechanics is not the priority for an auto engineer. A design for better access is my concern.

The filler tube is a different matter. Whereas it could be argued that draining oil and changing the filter is not an operation that requires design for the non-professional, it is a lot harder to make that case for the filler tube. Drivers sometimes run low on oil and need to add between changes. Do you carry your funnel with you? If so, does your wife know where it is? (This is my wife's car. Not mine.) Is it normal to require a special tool to add a quart of oil? I have had a lot of cars in my lifetime, but I don't ever recall having to explain to my wife where a funnel or other tool, needed for adding a quart of oil, is stored.

#6 ·
My complaint is that access is constrained by panels that could have been designed in consideration of reasonable access, and weren't.
Do you carry your funnel with you? If so, does your wife know where it is? (This is my wife's car. Not mine.) Is it normal to require a special tool to add a quart of oil?
You can actually get to the oil filter easily from above - through the right wheel well. Check it out - you can see the filter from there without removing anything although having the right tire off makes it very apparent and the oil change timing coincides nicely with tire rotation timing so if you do this yourself just take the right front wheel off for the rotation and while it's off also take the oil filter off. It'll still make a mess on the floor if you don't use something like the form-a-funnel.

I started a thread on here a while back you might want to check out -
http://www.mdxers.org/forums/94-thi...ent/79154-self-done-oil-change-some-tips.html

I actually don't carry a funnel in the car and don't even carry a spare quart of oil. I do in my other cars but not this one. This vehicle goes so long between oil changes and doesn't use much oil that there's really no reason (so far) to bother carrying a spare quart and a funnel. If it starts going through oil frequently then I'll carry spare oil and a funnel.

Even with the easily accessed oil fillers, like on the V8 of my Durango, it's best to have a funnel of some kind (like my quart container with the bottom cut out) or else one's likely to spill some oil but you already know that since it sounds as if you've done plenty of changes. This Durango goes through some oil (it has over 230K miles on it) and I just keep a self-made funnel along with some spare oil in the vehicle.

#7 ·
Requiring a funnel to top off? why? your MDX burns oil? I never had to top off oil in 3 oil changes so far (Longest been 11,000 miles change).
The only time I require a funnel is the change fill but IF I didn't have one I could still fill the Oil without one it will just take longer without one... Also this "Problem" in the fill is only on the SUV side of Hondas/Acuras the only car that shares the need to use a funnel is the Odyssey because the engine is hidden in the engine bay. Pilot, MDX, Ridgeline all could use a funnel no biggie.. You could buy an Accord, Civic, City, CR-V, ILX, TLX, TL, RDX, Etc, etc, They don't need a funnel..

Honda/Acura filters are all HAND TIGHT too.. No need for tools to remove it or install it unless you are using the OEM Filter installed at the dealership (They do use a tool and torque the filter). Next time do a hand tight and on your next change removing the filter will be easier.. But I digress.. I sincerely do not now how this car gives you any problems with 50 years of experience? Try changing the spark plugs ;) that will destroy your back for sure and you will probably complain about the location of the rear plugs...

Did I say 15 minutes? that is all you need to replace the oil in the X using Ramps.
My TL-S on the other hand takes me 30 minutes just because I have to jack up.

I think what I am getting to.. Is that the MDX oil change is ridiculously easy.
The hardest job so far I've done to the X is adjusting the valves, Rear bank was a royal PITB I needed a little step to reach them and I am 6.1"..

#8 ·
Every Honda/Acura I have owned uses oil between oil changes. My 2016 and 2011 MDX use about 500 to 750 ml between oil changes. I use synthetic and change the oil every 8,000 km. This is my 7 Honda/Acura product.

My Bimmers ran 12,000 to 15,000 km between oil changes and did not use a drop. My 328 is a 2007 and has an electronic dip stick that allows you to check the oil while the car is running and it does not have to be on level ground. Those damn brilliant Germans. They get it done.

#10 ·
^ I think it was normal procedure to Have at least 1 funnel for emergencies and also a spare quart :D..
I do have a small funnel in the rear lower cargo area of the X but I haven´t used it once, It came free with a Oil Change special and do keep a quart of Mobil 1 EP in there just in case.

#14 ·
^^ The bag trick really doesn't work that well on the MDX due to the placement of the filter. This from an engineer who has done hundreds of oil changes over decades on various vehicles and actually tried the bag trick with the MDX. It's worth a shot but isn't guaranteed to work well.

For the MDX I think the form-a-funnel, placed appropriately, is the best solution to catch the oil filter drippings. The filter can be pretty easily accessed from the right wheel well. I've removed it from both underneath and from the wheel well.

#15 ·
Like mdxstang, I got this: http://www.amazon.com/Form-Funnel®-..._UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=1DSBC80BFKY6RFY459AQ

First OC, I MacGyvered it with a piece of cardboard. Still annoying that when you fully remove the filter, you WILL still get a surge of oil despite letting it slowly drip out when loosened until it stops. But still better than not having it.

And yes, I believe Honda should have changed a few things when they simply transplanted the powerplant into the MDX. Extending the fill neck up would have an easy change. The filter location.. well I've heard many things over the years, including the VTEC actuator reason, but I've learned to accept it (albeit while cursing Honda each time still) and am just happy it's not where some CRV models have it.

BTW, my oil filter was NOT hand tight from the factory. They way over-tightened it.

#18 ·
Like mdxstang, I got this: Amazon.com: Form-A-Funnel® Flexible Draining Tool - 6.5" x 14.5": Automotive

First OC, I MacGyvered it with a piece of cardboard. Still annoying that when you fully remove the filter, you WILL still get a surge of oil despite letting it slowly drip out when loosened until it stops. But still better than not having it.

And yes, I believe Honda should have changed a few things when they simply transplanted the powerplant into the MDX. Extending the fill neck up would have an easy change. The filter location.. well I've heard many things over the years, including the VTEC actuator reason, but I've learned to accept it (albeit while cursing Honda each time still) and am just happy it's not where some CRV models have it.

BTW, my oil filter was NOT hand tight from the factory. They way over-tightened it.
thanks. i bought this and this http://www.amazon.com/OTC-Drain-Plug-Magnetic-Remover/dp/B0054WI7CW/ref=pd_bxgy_263_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1TRHPQVG1ZVNN2W9DB8M and used it when i was doing my oil change earlier this week. both came in handy.

#16 ·
my oil filter was NOT hand tight from the factory. They way over-tightened it.
Mine was very tight as well. Since I expected it'd be that way from the factory I bought an oil filter wrench that'd specifically fit this Honda filter. The filter is way too dinky for the oil filter wrenches I already had (this is my first Acura/Honda vehicle).

#17 ·
For some reason Honda tightens the filter way too much... I pretty much tell when the oil has been done at the dealership (Regardless of being OEM Oil Filter) just by the tightness of it... They just turn that thing to oblivion.

Hand Tight has never, EVER been an issue for me in +15years of Honda/Acura oil filter changes.. The hand tight is just enough to crush the oil filter O-RING so its has to be as much as your hand can tight it. Once installed removal should be done by hand only, No tools involved.

Reactions: penpure
#19 ·
Funny how humans are different !
I did my first ever 2012 MDX oil change ! And could not believe how easy it was ! did not even have to put it on a ramp!
And no , did not spill anything ! And always have had a funnel and drove an e39 for 10 years !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.