2017 Acura MDX Hybrid is a Mess! - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 1.00 average.
post #1 of 122 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

2017 Acura MDX Hybrid is a Mess!

The horsepower of the engine is reduced to 257 horsepower and the electric motors are strictly there to assist the gas engine and give it AWD.

The MDX hybrid can not run on electric power alone. This is absurd!!!!!

2017 Acura MDX Photos and Info ? News ? Car and Driver

2016 MDX Elite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 122 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Vancouver View Post
The horsepower of the engine is reduced to 257 horsepower and the electric motors are strictly there to assist the gas engine and give it AWD.

The MDX hybrid can not run on electric power alone. This is absurd!!!!!

2017 Acura MDX Photos and Info ? News ? Car and Driver
It actually can run a little on EV power. Just like the RLX hybrid, if you're gentle with the throttle it can accelerate from a stop and get up to parking lot speeds without firing up the ICE. This is pretty much the same as a Prius.

The RLX hybrid performs much better and gets much better mileage. Other than costing about $6-7k more than the standard RLX, there's really not much to gripe about going with the hybrid version.
post #3 of 122 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTech View Post
It actually can run a little on EV power. Just like the RLX hybrid, if you're gentle with the throttle it can accelerate from a stop and get up to parking lot speeds without firing up the ICE. This is pretty much the same as a Prius.

The RLX hybrid performs much better and gets much better mileage. Other than costing about $6-7k more than the standard RLX, there's really not much to gripe about going with the hybrid version.
Is there some thinking within the engineering arm to replace the mechanical sh awd system with this sport hybrid system in the future? From the videos I've seen, it seems to primarily serve that purpose but wanted to know if you've heard of such.

It seems like they tried to fit the rlx version but that failed due to lack of room so maybe the 4G is shooting to fit it if this version succeeds?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

post #4 of 122 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

I drive a prius too. In stop and go traffic, low speeds and parking, it is all electric. I am very light on the throttle to avoid firing up the ICE.

2016 MDX Elite
post #5 of 122 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoshi View Post
Is there some thinking within the engineering arm to replace the mechanical sh awd system with this sport hybrid system in the future? From the videos I've seen, it seems to primarily serve that purpose but wanted to know if you've heard of such.

It seems like they tried to fit the rlx version but that failed due to lack of room so maybe the 4G is shooting to fit it if this version succeeds?

This is the RLX setup. The only difference is they went with a 3.0 instead of the 3.5. "Packaging" is not the reason for the smaller displacement. Externally, the engine is the same size. So that was a complete lie saying that it wouldn't fit.

My best guess as to why they sleeved down half a liter is to go for max fuel economy while the RLX didn't want to sacrifice any performance at all. So the smaller displacement engine will get a little better mileage than the 3.5L version. Then you get the bigger boost from having a proper auto idle stop setup, electric A/C compressor, and electric assist on acceleration.
post #6 of 122 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 01:03 AM

Ah i see. Darn mpg, but i guess these suvs are always mostly catered toward families who care more for that than performance.

I'm still waiting for a reasonably priced SPORT utility vehicle with performance like the macan S or even a Cayenne gts (driving this around the track at high speed feels quite balanced!) with all the flexibility and utility i need.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
post #7 of 122 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
This is the RLX setup. The only difference is they went with a 3.0 instead of the 3.5. "Packaging" is not the reason for the smaller displacement. Externally, the engine is the same size. So that was a complete lie saying that it wouldn't fit.

My best guess as to why they sleeved down half a liter is to go for max fuel economy while the RLX didn't want to sacrifice any performance at all. So the smaller displacement engine will get a little better mileage than the 3.5L version. Then you get the bigger boost from having a proper auto idle stop setup, electric A/C compressor, and electric assist on acceleration.
The AC compressor on the Acura hybrids is electric like on the Prius?

2016 MDX Elite
post #8 of 122 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Ah i see. Darn mpg, but i guess these suvs are always mostly catered toward families who care more for that than performance.

I'm still waiting for a reasonably priced SPORT utility vehicle with performance like the macan S or even a Cayenne gts (driving this around the track at high speed feels quite balanced!) with all the flexibility and utility i need.

The Cayenne hybrid can go 80 mph solely on electric power. And 0-60 in 5.6 seconds. Wow!

2016 MDX Elite
post #9 of 122 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 01:22 AM

What do we know about the 7-speed dual-clutch transmission used in the sport hybrid? I've been an unpaid beta-tester for the ZF 9-speed, so I sure hope this one has been more thoroughly vetted before release. Any other applications? Any other hybrid applications? Any thoughts on how the hybrid drivetrain is likely to perform in day-to-day driving vs a conventional ICE drivetrain? I'm not sure if it's fair to call this a "soft hybrid", but it doesn't seem like it's really a "hard hybrid" either. Hybrid hybrid?
post #10 of 122 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Vancouver View Post
The AC compressor on the Acura hybrids is electric like on the Prius?
Yes and no. On the RLX, MDX, and the now discontinued ILX hybrids, the compressor is a "hybrid" as well. When the engine is running, it is just like a conventional belt driven unit. But if the engine isn't running, it also can electrically drive itself.

The NSX compressor is different and is completely electric as it is not mounted to the engine at all. Matter of fact, the NSX has no serpentine belt at all.
post #11 of 122 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 02:15 AM

Quote:

There's always the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8/Trackhawk.
post #12 of 122 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 02:20 AM

Quote:
There's always the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8/Trackhawk.
Lol way more headache than a Porsche though!

post #13 of 122 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
What do we know about the 7-speed dual-clutch transmission used in the sport hybrid? I've been an unpaid beta-tester for the ZF 9-speed, so I sure hope this one has been more thoroughly vetted before release. Any other applications? Any other hybrid applications? Any thoughts on how the hybrid drivetrain is likely to perform in day-to-day driving vs a conventional ICE drivetrain? I'm not sure if it's fair to call this a "soft hybrid", but it doesn't seem like it's really a "hard hybrid" either. Hybrid hybrid?
Honda's original hybrid setup, IMA...that was more like a soft or mild hybrid.

The 7DCT is already in the RLX hybrid. Not exactly a high volume car, so there isn't exactly a ton of collective miles out there to truly say if this transmission is garbage or not. So while it's not as fast shifting as the 8DCT that goes in the ILX and TLX or definitely the NSX's 9DCT, it does shift much faster as is much more responsive than the ZF 9HP that everyone is so fond of.
post #14 of 122 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Lol way more headache than a Porsche though!

While Jeep and most other FCA products don't do so well on initial quality and Porsche does great, after a good 7-8 years or so they swap places. Porsche becomes the money pit and the Jeep while still having a problem here and there, will be fairly cheap to fix and keep maintained.
post #15 of 122 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 02:36 AM

Quote:
While Jeep and most other FCA products don't do so well on initial quality and Porsche does great, after a good 7-8 years or so they swap places. Porsche becomes the money pit and the Jeep while still having a problem here and there, will be fairly cheap to fix and keep maintained.
Yeah i know though my attention span seems to be right around 7-8 years. Definitely better than the 4 years I've been seeing with other Europeans. My own FCA experiences have been nightmares for many, many years. Was helping an old boss with his car on nearly a weekly basis over 5 years. Recall recall recall or no fix at all. Lots of stupid crap like clips not staying locked on harnesses or sensors failing or whatever. Oy vey... Really got to know the dealership guys though!

Probably partly what drove me to Acura after starting from the Macan S (first year mfg issues) then the SQ5 to the Q7 to the X5 (all of these have their and post 4 year curses) then i stumbled on an Acura dealer in the same circle.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: