Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

FEEDBACK: Honda/Acura Addresses 9 Speed Transmission Issues with TSB 15-054 12/22/15

75K views 226 replies 68 participants last post by  neoshi 
#1 ·
Hello folks,

I'm starting this thread to collect feedback from owners on TSB 15-054 that Acura/Honda just released to address the many different complaints regarding the 9 speed ZF transmission in the 2016. I don't want this thread to be a debate about the use of the 9ZF, so please remember to keep things civil and just post feedback here about the TSB once you've received it and have been driving with it. I propose that we report feedback with the following basics:

(1) Please provide VERSION number of the TSB (because Honda has a habit of revising instructions on some of these TSBs).
(2) Please provide sufficient detail of date of service, time it took, and if the service successfully addressed the issue.
(3) Please also provide feedback on NEW issues resulting from the TSB.
(4) Please also provide feedback at future intervals of 2 weeks post service, 1 month post service, 3 months post service, and 6 months post service at a minimum. I would like to see reports back further out if any issues arise as well.

TSB link: http://www.mdxers.org/forums/1089586-post26.html
Note: Version 1 as of 12/22/15

See less See more
#3 ·
(Newbie question) How do TSBs work? Can we just schedule a service appointment mentioning this TSB? Or do we need to schedule a warranty appointment complaining about unpredictable/non-intuitive transmission behavior and describe enough symptoms so that the service advisor can easily map it to the TSB (and mention TSB if he/she doesn't).

#4 ·
Tell em your symptoms you are experiencing. Then you are aware of TSB to fix problem. Tech still needs to verify those symptoms. They usually won't apply TSB if you are not experiencing any of the listed issues. In other words, you don't go to the dealer and say, I want TSB # etc just to get the updated program. So yes make a service appt with your complaints to get this done.

#5 ·
From my reading of the TSB, it seemed like every 2016 MDX would exhibit these symptoms because that was the way it was programmed. If that is the case, why would the tech need to go on an extended test drive to reproduce the symptoms, and possibly deny service due to non reproducibility?

#6 ·
It seems the TSB is applicable for all 2016 MDXs produced till about 12/22/15. I have experienced the symptoms mentioned, and I was eagerly waiting for this TSB.

I might not go in soon but will try to post the experience after the dealer visit for first oil change.

#8 ·
It's just the way your dealership chooses to operate. Mine forces me to do the drive with a tech every time. Even then, when the tech hears the problem with me but can't reproduce it later on their own, they will say they can't reproduce the problem. Le sigh. Oh and I have 4 dealers within 20 miles but they all do the same thing.

#9 ·
This is a product update campaign, and not just a garden variety TSB. That means the software update will be done no matter what the next time you visit your dealer for service.

#12 ·
My '16 AWD Tech was manufactured in May'15 and has VIN starting with 5FRYD4H6 which is not in any of the ranges described by the TSB. Does it mean it doesn't apply ?
Are you Canadian?

Weird I just looked up your sequence... should be a AWD Tech Ent. I bet you Acura forgot about your VIN range... they messed up on a TLX TSB a few months ago the same way and had to issue a VIN TSB lol

Well, I might call the last ACR case manager I dealt with on Monday and see what he says about VIN ranges.

#15 ·
Thanks, I emailed my SA the following. It helps that I specifically complained about this at at past visit with 500 miles on the car, and the SA said it was normal:

Richard,
I had my new 2016 Advanced MDX SH-AWD in after purchase for a bunch of assembly related issues. At the time I reported surging behavior of the 9spd transmission particularly when downshifting and a sensation of acceleration during downshifting downhill. At the time you confirmed this was traditional behavior of the transmission and all MDX were affected and mine was operating normally. These customer symptoms were on the work orders for the past visit.

Acura has released a software fix for this specific issue. I’ve attached it for your reference, TSB 15-054 dated December 22, 2016. It applies to 2016 MDX SH-AWD Advance model, and my VIN is in the affected range.

Can I arrange a quick service visit to have this issue addressed with the TSB? Do you have any availability to do this next Thursday December 31st?

Regards,
Brian

#16 ·
Now one can only hope a TSB for new rear shocks is forthcoming.

#18 ·
I'm trying to get it scheduled to get done next week, I'll advise when I do.

#21 ·
I went to Acura Stevens Creek today. The SA checked with the technician after I gave him a copy of the TSB and told me that they don't have the software yet. He said they'll probably get it later this week, and I should call to confirm if they have it before making another appointment next week. I suggest people call and check if their dealer has the software before taking their car for the update.

#24 ·
So sad that happened at a dealer with over half a dozen Master Technicians in their stable. So sad.

Software was available to dealers for over a month. Only the bulletin saying what it does was just recently released.

All shop foremen/service managers are required to update their Honda Diagnostic System software packages within 3 days of their release.

#23 ·
Got mine done today. Dropped it off around 8:30 am. At first they wanted me to test drive it with a foreman and he stated they have received many complaints and yes they do have the software.

AUTO TRANS DIAG1 CUST STATES VEHICLE HESITATES UPON ACCELERATION IS WORST WHEN COMING FROM A STOP LIGHT(09ACZ-DIAG1)

TSB 15-054 under Warranty.

(1) Please provide VERSION number of the TSB (because Honda has a habit of revising instructions on some of these TSBs).

Where do I find this?

(2) Please provide sufficient detail of date of service, time it took, and if the service successfully addressed the issue.

12/28/15 -- explained the issue and had to test drive with a foreman. Didn't get my MDX back until around 5pm... I originally had around 650 miles and got it back with 665 miles. They said that they had to make sure the software update was successful.

(3) Please also provide feedback on NEW issues resulting from the TSB.

Immediately, I felt a difference (for the better) but in sports mode the minimal jerking is still there but much, much more smoother than before. With all the modes you can tell the gear shifting is very smooth now. The breaking still feels like it surges but less.

(4) Please also provide feedback at future intervals of 2 weeks post service, 1 month post service, 3 months post service, and 6 months post service at a minimum. I would like to see reports back further out if any issues arise as well.

Will do down the road.

I did read in the PDF that around 60 miles it should get accustomed to the way I drive but so far so good. Overall, I am satisfied and I think with due time, this TSB may have done the trick.

#26 ·
I just called Stevens Creek and they said they had it and will apply it during my service tomorrow (I was going in anyway for my passenger seat heater not working on "Auto" mode).

The adviser wasn't aware of the update. I had to give him the number to look it up. Thank you to the OP for the heads up on the update.

#27 ·
Hi All. I got the transmission software on my 2016 MDX updated as per TSB 15-054 this morning. I felt an improvement as soon as I got the car back from the shop. However, to be completely honest, the downshifting surge still exists (if you are very picky and pay a close attention) - it is very minimal. But, as noted on TSB, it would take about 30 miles for transmission learning and to get settled. In any case, it is waaaayyyyy better even now. It is like day and night. I would definitely recommend this update. Also, keep in mind that this is the new update and it took my dealer almost 4 hours to get it done (drive my car at the very beginning to replicate the issue, research TSB online, call Acura headquarters for instructions, apply the fix, etc.). They are not yet experienced with this TSB and/or I was probably the first to get it done. So, keep this in mind. Good luck all! I hope you would have the same positive feedback after an update as I have as I know how annoying the new 9-speed transmission is/was (was at least for me). I'll try to come back after my 30-mile transmission learning and will let you know how it behaves then. BTW. Thank you for this forum and this post. That's how I found out about TSB 15-054.

#28 ·
Excellent. Thanks for providing the feedback! I'm happy this is being addressed, albeit not entirely. The one thing I've learned from the TLX 9ZF debacle though is that the initial feedback is usually good, but the behaviors may return after a few days (or a few weeks). In the TLX, the initial repair's "Idle Relearn" procedure essentially gives you a blank slate, which everyone seemed to enjoy, but as soon as the 9ZF relearned your behavior, it was back to crap. So keep watch everyone!

#32 ·
I got my car back from Stevens Creek Acura, but I'm not sure what they did. I requested the update by number, 15-054 and the adviser (Juan Cedillo) said they did it.

However, when I got home and read the paperwork they have the following text:

12555A2 SOFTWARE UPDATE CAMPAIGN: ECM/PCM - REPROGRAM S/B: 05-007 S/B: 05-027 S/B 11-017 S/B: 15-024 6988 IAFI

Not sure what this all means, but I don't see 15-054 in the list. I left a message on their website for clarification.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.