Google Maps through Phone + Listening to XM at same time = possible? - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Google Maps through Phone + Listening to XM at same time = possible?

Hi All,

I have a 2014 MDX Adv+Tech package (less than 3 months owned). I'm a savvy tech guy but the audio source controls are frustrating me.

Goal: Listen to XM/FM AND be able to get directions through Google Maps (iPhone).

After trial/error and searching online, I figure this is not possible. I believe I read somewhere that if an audio stream is playing (XM), Google Maps will not route audio through Bluetooth.

What I have tried:

1) Source = Bluetooth. I can get Maps directions but I cannot listen to XM
2) Source = XM. I can listen to XM and I cannot get Maps (via BT)
3) Source = USB or iPod (via usb connector). Maps nor any music via phone works

Yet to Try:

1) Aux. But i'm assuming it's like #1 i.e., Maps will work but no XM.

Questions:

1) What do you do to be able to listen to XM AND Google Maps? Worst worst case, I can stream Spotify/XM/Maps through the phone and all my problems will be solved... (but I don't get to utilize the Tech package investment)

2) How do you get the the USB or iPod connectors working? I tried Apple Music (no sound), Spotify (no sound). I know the connector is working because the phone is charging..

THank you all - I hate doing 1/2 and 1/2: Looking up for XM and looking down for Maps

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 07:42 PM

Hate is a strong word, but I think your options are to deal with it.

It's funny, was listening a CD today (MP3's) and a buddy sent me a text message with a video.

I clicked the video and my music stopped and the audio from the video played.....so, it can do this.

I think when I use WAZE and listen to XM, the audio comes through too, can;'t say 100%, don't use it often, but pretty sure it does.

Google maps, dunno, never use it to navigate, find WAZE much better.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 08:57 AM

Yes, it works. Annoyingly so, but it works.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 08:47 PM

I used the USB connection exclusively to listen to music and use google maps on occasions along w/ waze. Music comes thru fine and directions when given come thru as well as the system will pause the music briefly to interject w/ directions from either gmaps or waze. I have the advance model. Not sure if there are differences w/ your particular model.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 12:36 AM
LMc

Set Waze or Google Maps to play through phone speaker (it is under Navigation Settings on Android: turn off "Play voice over Bluetooth"). Then turn phone speaker up.

Phone calls will still use BlueTooth
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMc View Post
Set Waze or Google Maps to play through phone speaker (it is under Navigation Settings on Android: turn off "Play voice over Bluetooth"). Then turn phone speaker up.

Phone calls will still use BlueTooth
This is what I do as well. Sometimes my wife turns off the car audio to talk to me and then I lose my turn by turn, so outputting to phone speaker helps in this situation too.

Some manufacturers utilize BT audio priority (albeit mono) to give you this ability, but Acura hasn't done so.

OP, are you using the OEM cable?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Ok, playing "Voice over BT" for Maps/Waze work.. but it is quite annoying since it makes a phone call, plays the instructions , and hang up. I guess this is the only way.

With iPOAD (not USB) as the source, I got Maps working. I'm not sure how, but I downloaded a free song via iTunes (Looks like Spotify streaming won't work over USB). That song played via iPOD. Then i started Maps, and that worked. I am using an Amazon-lightning certified cable.

Thanks all.. looks like I'll have to stream radio/maps through the phone via AUX/BT and not bother via the built-in nav.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: