Rear end low speed thuds? - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-14-2013, 10:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
td284's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Jersey/New York
Posts: 420
Rear end low speed thuds?

I know this sounds like shades of the previous generations of X, but I'm getting a thud or clunk noise from somewhere in the back during low speeds over bumps, especially multiple bumps. It's not gas sloshing, it sounds like something's in the trunk moving around or some large part is loose (muffled thuds). I emptied everything, put the third row up, checked the spare, can't seem to find any interior item it might be. It seems to be coming from the rear suspension, but my ears could be playing tricks on me. Didn't find anything on the boards-- anyone else have the same issue? I usually have the music up so I didn't notice it until now.
__________________
2014 Acura MDX Advance/Entertainment, Fathom Blue Pearl (aka Veronica)

(retired)
2005 Acura MDX Steel Blue/Ebony Touring w/Nav
td284 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-15-2013, 12:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 74
I just picked up and MDX advance yesterday and noticed the same thing. It's pretty bad. I tried filling up the storage compartment back there thinking it was echoing/amplifying the noise and no change.
syntax53 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2013, 02:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 10
Hello!

I recently joined this forum after I started to research the same issue with my 2014 MDX Tech (delivered in mid July).

The issue ending up being with the Parking Brake cable that runs under the vehicle from the front to the rear. The cable needed to be adjusted and reinforced to stop the sound of rattling/ticking from the rear (mostly passenger side over bumps between 5-40 mph). The documentation/receipt provided to me refers to:

FIX RATTLE IN EMERGENCY BRAKE CABLE LINKAGE (REDESIGN)

I was told this was due to the redesign with the MDX. That's great, but why wasn't this addressed when the vehicle was assembled?

There is a case (or cases) with Acura Tech Line that your Service Adviser and/or Service Technician can refer to regarding this issue. If you need it, your Acura Service Department can refer to Tech Line Incident #3476358.

I also contacted my Service Adviser to see if he can send me the details of the Tech Line Incident. If I get it I will share it with you on this thread.

Good Luck!
gaganmonster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2013, 02:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: San Carlos, CA
Posts: 37
Check the spare tire and the tightness of the cable that holds it in place under the car. On mine, the cable had loosened up just enough to create an incredibly annoying squeak/rattle when I went over a bump. Gave the cable a small crank (underneath the storage compartment) to tighten up the spare tire. The noise was gone.
dougcolt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2013, 10:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 48
Noise/thuds from 2nd/3rd row headliner

Hi- I just posted this under a different thread....Any Comments?

Hi. Ever since I picked up my MDX about 3 weeks ago I have noticed a 'drum' like sound when going over minor bumps- like potholes/railroad tracks. It seems to be coming from either the 2nd and/or 3rd row headliner. It seems to be a result of the design of the headliner- a solid one piece headliner with an air space above it. When you climb in the pack and tap on the headliner it makes a hollow sound- like a drum. Is it just me or does anyone else notice this?

thanks

Drichards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2013, 10:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 48
Spare tire

Should have mentioned- I did check the spare tire- gave it about 1/2 turn on the crank under the storage area to tighten it up a but- but didn't make any difference
Drichards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2013, 10:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 215
I just think this is inherent to the new model. Ours seems to make a thudding sound over bumps around town but to me it just seems to be one of those things that comes with owning the vehicle as part of this re-model.
Husker4theSpurs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2013, 08:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaganmonster View Post
FIX RATTLE IN EMERGENCY BRAKE CABLE LINKAGE (REDESIGN)

I was told this was due to the redesign with the MDX. That's great, but why wasn't this addressed when the vehicle was assembled?

There is a case (or cases) with Acura Tech Line that your Service Adviser and/or Service Technician can refer to regarding this issue. If you need it, your Acura Service Department can refer to Tech Line Incident #3476358.
I brought my car in recently and they couldn't find this number. Any ideas on what to tell them?
syntax53 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 10
I really couldn't tell you anything more than your Acura dealer's service department needs to contact Acura Tech Line and reference the incident number.

The Service Manager and/or one of the senior service technicians should know what to do with this number.
gaganmonster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2013, 08:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaganmonster View Post
Hello!

I recently joined this forum after I started to research the same issue with my 2014 MDX Tech (delivered in mid July).

The issue ending up being with the Parking Brake cable that runs under the vehicle from the front to the rear. The cable needed to be adjusted and reinforced to stop the sound of rattling/ticking from the rear (mostly passenger side over bumps between 5-40 mph). The documentation/receipt provided to me refers to:

FIX RATTLE IN EMERGENCY BRAKE CABLE LINKAGE (REDESIGN)

I was told this was due to the redesign with the MDX. That's great, but why wasn't this addressed when the vehicle was assembled?

There is a case (or cases) with Acura Tech Line that your Service Adviser and/or Service Technician can refer to regarding this issue. If you need it, your Acura Service Department can refer to Tech Line Incident #3476358.

I also contacted my Service Adviser to see if he can send me the details of the Tech Line Incident. If I get it I will share it with you on this thread.

Good Luck!
can you please provide a part of your service invoice showing the details of the repair. As my dealer is unable to get the TechLine Incident details
__________________
2014 Acura MDX, SH-AWD, Tech.
fun2drive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2013, 10:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 74
Same here. I brought it to the dealer again today and they said they checked the parking brake cable and everything is to spec
syntax53 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2013, 12:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
can you please provide a part of your service invoice showing the details of the repair. As my dealer is unable to get the TechLine Incident details
Unfortunately the service advisor didn't provide any details besides what I had mentioned regarding the parking brake cable redesign and the tech line article number. On top of that the service advisor that worked with me on this issue is no longer at my local dealer. Hoping that someone else can provide some more information for you.
gaganmonster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2013, 11:35 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1
I have a 2014 Acura MDX (7,200 miles) there is a noise in the rear when I drive over a pot hole or ought road. This is the 3rd Acura MDX that I have owned and never had this problem with other two?...
Sarah Merriman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2013, 03:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 2
Same Problem - very annoying

I have the same problem - thunk or clunk when going over bumps (minor or major). Much more apparant when passenger side rear tire hits bump. Have taken everything out of the rear, tried seats in different positions, and have looked all over the underneath for anything that could be causing the problem. Have found nothing so will be going back to the dealer.

Two times recently have had passengers in the back seats and they found these noises to be very distracting and annoying.

I vehemently disagree with the poster who indicated "this is inherent to the new model" and "just seems to be one of thse things that comes with owning the vehicle as part of the remodel." This is my first Acura purchase. I bought this car, and paid a premium for an Acura thinking I was getting a luxury vehicle. I have driven in Lexus RX350's, Highlanders, Edges, and Pathfinders and none of these cars has noises like this.

My dealership's service department has been excellent finding and fixing other problems. I hope they can fix this. I can not imagine driving around with these sounds for years to come.
benbenny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2013, 05:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drichards View Post
Hi- I just posted this under a different thread....Any Comments?

Hi. Ever since I picked up my MDX about 3 weeks ago I have noticed a 'drum' like sound when going over minor bumps- like potholes/railroad tracks. It seems to be coming from either the 2nd and/or 3rd row headliner. It seems to be a result of the design of the headliner- a solid one piece headliner with an air space above it. When you climb in the pack and tap on the headliner it makes a hollow sound- like a drum. Is it just me or does anyone else notice this?

thanks

Just got back from first road trip with the new MDX. Very noticeable thud from the rear when going over bumps...just as described by others. Sounds like this is different then the brake cable issue...not a rattle but a thud. This headliner comment makes more sense. Wonder if anything can be done about it or if Acura will address?
CTAP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:23 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Copyright 2000-2010 MDXers.org. All Rights Reserved.