Comfortable riding tires for 2012 MDX? - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-24-2012, 03:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Comfortable riding tires for 2012 MDX?

I've got about 2,000 miles on my 2012 MDX and my wife has complained more than once about the ride. We have the base model with the Dueler H/L 400. The Michelin Latitude HP might have a better ride, I'm told, and the Dueler H/L Alenza and 422 Ecopia seem to get high marks. Has anyone found a tire that can soften the ride in the MDX while still maintaining decent handling? Thanks!
loveitbut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 05:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Just to rule out the obvious - do you check your tire pressures regularly (at least once every few weeks), and keep them inflated to Acura's recommended 32 psi?

Also, is it possible your car has a suspension problem, such as with the shocks? You might want to try taking a similar MDX at your dealer on a test ride, to see whether or not it feels the same as yours.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:02 AM   #3 (permalink)

My next tires (sitting in the garage, waiting to be installed) are the Michelin Primacy MXV4s. Between Consumer Reports, Tire Rack, and reviews on various Honda/Acura blogs, these seem like the best balance of comfort, quiet, handling, and treadwear for an all-season tire. Just as a note, these are the "Primacy" MXV4s, not the "Energy". I'm hoping they are a solid improvement over my CrossTerrains. Will try to install and report this week.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 11-25-2012, 08:17 AM   #4 (permalink)

The only thing I can add to this thread is to avoid the Yokohama YK580s if you are looking for comfort. I currently have these on mine right now. Excellent dry traction, Good wet traction, and ok noise levels. But as far as comfort goes they aren't the best, probably due to a stiffer sidewall I'm assuming.

But I'm a bit surprised that your wife finds the ride not comfortable with those stock tires. I drove a loaner 2012 MDX that had the same Bridgestones and I found them to be buttery smooth.
symmetrical is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 10:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks, everyone. I had the dealer look at it a few weeks ago, but they claimed the rough ride is average for this car. Great car overall, but you definitely feel the bumps in it.

The Primacy seems to get some very high marks for comfort, as does the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus, but neither comes in the stock 255/55/18, unfortunately.

Tire Test Results : Testing Grand Touring All-Season Tires
Old 11-25-2012, 10:24 AM   #6 (permalink)

I heard that the Nokian WR G2 all weather tires which you can leave them on 365 days are great in terms of comfort, traction, minimum noise, etc. Anyone has tried those? When my current Bridgestones need replacement, I plan to have the Nokian tires.
ken88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 02:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Toyo Versado CUV

My previous ride, '10 RX350 came with HL400s, which I replaced with the above after 16,000 miles. I just could not stand the ride of Bridgestones. I absolutely LOVED Toyos, and when the time comes to replace the tires on MDX, these are on top of my list.
2001 Acura MDX
sgtglok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 03:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

The Michelin latitudes are great. I know they are expensive but they are rated by CR as the best in nearly every category they compete.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
tolson37 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 05:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

The Toyo does sound promising...

Toyo versado Cuv tire reviews

'09 MDX Sport Tire Replacement - Toyo Versado CUV or Toyo Proxes ST II

I think I'm about to try the Latitudes on my Subaru, so that might give me a feel for how they'd be on the MDX.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:51 AM   #10 (permalink)

Yowza...one more reason to upgrade the OEM Duelers: they slid like crazy on a slick onramp yesterday. To make sure it wasn't just me, I took my Subaru Forester on the same ramp and conditions...the Michelin Defenders on my Subaru gave me no problems. How are the Toyos in the rain?
Old 12-22-2012, 08:49 AM   #11 (permalink)

Have a set of the Nokian WRG2's and although I'm a long-time Nokian fan (have them on my Honda Fit and GMC 2500), I'll tell you that they are noisy when worn. Probably because of the open tread design. Also they wear rather quickly.
wh22366 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 01:54 PM   #12 (permalink)

You should take the car back to Acura and complain... There is a known problem with the 2012 MDX's and the ****ty ride quality and "shaking" problem. I am going thru the problem now.
newyork326 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 02:35 PM   #13 (permalink)

Ride quality (discussed here) and the vibration problem (discussed in the other topic) are two entirely different problems.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:50 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveitbut View Post
I've got about 2,000 miles on my 2012 MDX and my wife has complained more than once about the ride. We have the base model with the Dueler H/L 400. The Michelin Latitude HP might have a better ride, I'm told, and the Dueler H/L Alenza and 422 Ecopia seem to get high marks. Has anyone found a tire that can soften the ride in the MDX while still maintaining decent handling? Thanks!
If I were you, I'd go to your dealer and see if they have a base or Technology* 2012 or 2013 MDX on the lot with a different make/model of tires from yours. If so, take it for a test drive, and see how the ride compares with yours. That should help you decide how a different tire feels.

*The base and Technology have the same suspension so they should feel the same. Don't try an Advance because that version has a different suspension and larger wheels (19"), so it won't necessarily feel the same.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:27 AM   #15 (permalink)
CNJ

We have the Hankook Ventus AS tire put on before we bought it (CPO) and I'm impressed with them. They ride very smooth and quiet but also handle well in the wet and dry and they seem to be wearing excellent (15k mi and I can hardly see much wear). I also think there might be something else besides the tires going on. Unless as someone said they may be overinflated? +1 on test driving another vehicle also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: