Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

New owner of 06 Touring NAV/RES

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Lazlow115 
#1 ·
Greetings from Atlanta. New owner of a 2006 Touring with NAV/RES. Have had the MDX for about 6 weeks. Have done some minor maintenance items such as cabin filter, air filter, VTM-4 differential fluid change and wheel alignment. Also installed a sunroof wind deflector. Wife wants running boards. Since getting the MDX, have noticed a lot of them in the North Atlanta area.
Also am the original owner of an '02 Odyssey EX-L with 160K. New trans at 94K paid for by Honda. Have an external trans cooler and am giving consideration to putting one on the MDX. Don't tow, but more of a preventative measure.
Have gathered a lot of infomation from this board. Over the years, similar Odyssey board has provided a wealth of information including DIY items and how to's. Hope to gather the same information from this board and of course share if there is something I can contribute.

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum. It's been an invaluable resource for me. Be sure to check out MidnightMDX's FAQ.

SInce you are going to install a tranny cooler you might also think about adding an external auxiliary inline tranny filter. The factory one is internal, supposedly lasts for life, but can be changed if you have better than average mechanical skills and don't mind taking off a bunch of parts to get at the parts. There is a post about it somewhere on here.

This is the article that got me interested.

I put this one on, plus PS,

but I want this one.

#3 ·
Thank you KGHjr. Much appreciated. External filter sounds like a good idea. 3/8" should be the size if i'm not mistaken.
I had a look at the FAQ's. Will try the Homelink and radar detector hardwire soon. Have not been able to get homelink to work with my rolling code door opener. Found out that there was a limit to the number of transmitters that could be programmed for the door opener so I followed the procedure to clear all remotes and began reprogramming. Unfortunately, it does not sync with the MDX, but will try again. Hardwiring a radar detector looks very straightforward.
Nerf bars got delivered Wednesday and will try to install them this weekend.
Thank you for the welcome and I look forward to learning from the forum.

#4 ·
3/8" is correct.

Did you notice in the article that they recommended putting the filter on one way if adding to an existing system, but another was if adding in conjunction with a new cooler?

I think I ignored them. I had a new cooler and put it on the return line for ease of access. It's not a critical issue, but the flow direction is, shown by an arrow on the filter.

The time consuming part of the job is the R & R of the rock guard.

#5 ·
Belated note to follow up. Yes, saw the note regarding direction. Thank you.

Which make/model of transmission cooler did you install? I have used the search functionality and found that some membes have installed the following:
Hayden 678
Hayden 679
B&M 70268

I have received an independent recommendation (where I got my Odyssey cooler) of the following:
Tru-Cool 4452
Tru-Cool 4490
Tru-Cool 4543

Many thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.