What tires to put on 06 MDX? - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-06-2012, 02:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

What tires to put on 06 MDX?

Looking for a quite and durable tire. I live in Southern Ca. Mostly drive around town and on freeways.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Caddis64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 02:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

When I asked the folks at the Tire Rack for a good all-around tire for my MDX, they recommended two tires: the Bridgestone H/L Dueler Alenza, and the Continental CrossContact LX. I've been using the Bridgestone and it's worked out well, great tire.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks

Old 12-06-2012, 03:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Tire guy is recommending Goodyear's ComforTred Touring. Anyone have an opinion them?

Old 12-06-2012, 04:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddis64 View Post
Tire guy is recommending Goodyear's ComforTred Touring. Anyone have an opinion them?
I don't have an opinion on that particular tire, since I haven't tried it. But 99 percent of the advice I've gotten from guys working in local tire stores has been poor. They typically do not handle a lot of brands, they usually have not driven on the tires they sell, and they have a strong tendency to push the tires they have in stock, especially those on which they have the highest profit margins.

I don't always buy from the Tire Rack, but I buy from there often, and always when I am seeking their advice. They carry 20 different brands of tires, they have almost everything in stock, the prices are among the best around, and their salespeople are awesome. Most of their salespeople have driven most of their tires on the driving dynamics course at their headquarters, often in side-by-side comparison tests against other tires using the same vehicles. They can tell you what tire is best, based on whatever characteristics are the most important TO YOU.

Here's an interesting fact about the Tire Rack. Over 80 percent of the orders placed before the end of the business day arrive at the customer the next business day, even though most of those orders are only paying for ground shipping. How do they accomplish this? Their volume enables them to send full truckloads of tires from their four warehouses to every major city all over the country. So instead of UPS picking up thousands of tires at the Tire Rack warehouse and needing to sort them out to where they need to go, the Tire Rack does that instead. For example, if you're in St. Louis and you place an order, it will be on a Tire Rack track which that night will drop the tires off at the UPS distribution center in St. Louis, along with all the other orders for folks in the St. Louis area, and you'll receive your tires the next day.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with the Tire Rack other than as a satisfied customer. Buy your tires wherever you want!
Old 12-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

A year ago I put on a set of michelin primacy tires at discount tire. (Base 2005 MDX)
I really like the tires, MUCH better than the OEM ones. Took them to south colorado for a ski strip and many highways trips to FL. The tread seems to be holding up pretty good.
homerjmdx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 08:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

I may be giving the Toyo Versado CUV tires a try in the next couple of months in the 255/60/17 size. They will be the exact same height but a slightly wider profile. They seem to have very good reviews for being quiet and wet traction....

VERSADO CUV

http://1010tires.com/Tires/Toyo/Versado+CUV
SeventyGTX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 11:02 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyGTX View Post
I may be giving the Toyo Versado CUV tires a try in the next couple of months in the 255/60/17 size.[/url]
Putting that size on the stock rims is a BAD IDEA. The stock rim is 17x6.5 but that tire size is only approved for mounting on rims 7.0-9.0 inches wide, per Toyo's specs. When the rim is too narrow for the tire, it is difficult to mount and can cause excessive heat to build up in the sidewalls, leading to the possibility of a failure or even a blowout. Also the tire warranty won't be honored if it's mounted on a rim that's narrower than the specs. Many tire dealers - the ones who know what they're doing - will refuse to mount tires on a rim that's too narrow.

Stick with 235/65-17, unless you are using wider aftermarket wheels.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsxtasy View Post
Putting that size on the stock rims is a BAD IDEA. The stock rim is 17x6.5 but that tire size is only approved for mounting on rims 7.0-9.0 inches wide, per Toyo's specs. When the rim is too narrow for the tire, it is difficult to mount and can cause excessive heat to build up in the sidewalls, leading to the possibility of a failure or even a blowout. Also the tire warranty won't be honored if it's mounted on a rim that's narrower than the specs. Many tire dealers - the ones who know what they're doing - will refuse to mount tires on a rim that's too narrow.

Stick with 235/65-17, unless you are using wider aftermarket wheels.
Yes, I plan on going with aftermarket rims, just going a little wider without affecting final drive ratio.
SeventyGTX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: