Michelin LTX A/T2 Tires ? - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-25-2011, 11:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
J&K

Michelin LTX A/T2 Tires ?

I need to replace tires on my 2001 MDX. I consider michelins cross terrain or LTX A/T2 .I live in Canada so there is a lot of snow in the winter.I like the looks of LTX, they also have deeper thread than cross country.Have anybody tried them yet?
J&K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2011, 05:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

I put LTX M/S's on mine. The AT2 will wear a bit faster.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

I've got the AT2's on mine right now with 69k miles. There are starting to dry rot a little but the mileage and traction are great.
mikesop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2011, 03:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

I've run these on two other SUV's with excellent traction and treadwear. Unfortunately, they won't fit on my 2011 MDX when it's time to replace the OEM tires.
toml99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2011, 04:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

Do you take your MDX off-road (or on gravel or unpaved roads) a lot? That's what the A/T 2 is designed for. (That's why it has that name - A/T for All Terrain.) Otherwise, you're probably better off with a conventional SUV all-season, like the Cross Terrain.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

Any other opinions on this subject? I'm pretty much narrowed down to these two sets of tires as well (and "possibly" Goodyear Fortera Triple Tread, not really but they look pretty cool). I am anticipating Costco offering a sale on Michelins once the Bridgestone special is over. I've read tons of reviews on Tire Rack and Consumer Reports; both rated highly. It's kind of comical how you can read pages and pages of positive reviews, then suddenly come upon the "worst tire I ever owned" posting. Anyway, more comments on these tires would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

CT's are nothing special in the snow. The Michelin LTX MS/2 Is a lot better in the same category (hwy all season). The GY TT is also better in the snow than the CTs, but they are louder than both the CTs and the LTX MS/2.
JL_SS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2011, 01:53 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL_SS View Post
CT's are nothing special in the snow. The Michelin LTX MS/2 Is a lot better in the same category (hwy all season). The GY TT is also better in the snow than the CTs, but they are louder than both the CTs and the LTX MS/2.
Thanks man. You know, I was in Costco this morning looking at the Cross Terrains again. Just something about them; they seem thinner, or less "beefy" than other Bridgestones of the same size. Of course I'm aware of what type of vehicle I own, and wouldn't want anything too aggressive. Anyone else notice this? Perhaps its my imagination.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:47 AM   #9 (permalink)

I tend to agree. When you check the specs versus other tires of the same size, the "tread width" sometimes measures slightly smaller than other 235/65 tires. The narrow wheel doesn't help the lack-of-beefy look.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

After much reading reviews, and opinion gathering; today I decided to go with the Michelin LTX AT2. I moved from a really lousy set of tires to these, so no matter what it's a tremendous improvement.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
CNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by xx_bishop_xx View Post
After much reading reviews, and opinion gathering; today I decided to go with the Michelin LTX AT2. I moved from a really lousy set of tires to these, so no matter what it's a tremendous improvement.
Good Choice, highly rated AT tire. For the money I'll probably get the General Grabber HTS again which we had on our Pilot (excellent HWY AS tire).
Old 12-19-2011, 07:16 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNJ View Post
Good Choice, highly rated AT tire. For the money I'll probably get the General Grabber HTS again which we had on our Pilot (excellent HWY AS tire).
You know, I thought about those as well. Seems like i was researching for what seemed like months...actually it was months . Since you're considering another set, I would imagine your experience with the General Grabbers were positive? I just decided the AT2 was a nice blend of AT/AS. I drive mostly highway, but visits to the mountains are semi-frequent, and an AT tire is nice for getting to some trailheads or geocaches.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:04 PM   #13 (permalink)

I have a 2006 MDX touring that I have placed a set of them on about 3 and a half years ago, with nitrogen in them. They are a nice compromise tire but dont expect to drive it like a good handling car. Also when new the tires have a bit of a squirm until you have about 5000 miles. I run them about 34 psi all around and have gotten 40000 on them and expect another 35000 miles. They are not something you want if you want a high speed handling tire. I always keep the factory rim size,it was the best compromise and gives good ground clearence. the tires are good they do ride harder then the Michelins that came factory new, but that is due to the truck load rating which also means the belt plys are more than a passenger car type tire.The ones I have have a 3 ply sidewall making them much stiffer than a single ply. That is why it rides stiffer but it will still break traction if you go fast. That is something you should consider besides speed ratings, the load carrying rating, the MDX is not a truck and these tires are actually good for trucks, as for ice the OEM was best but snow,mud,dirt,general road hazzards they are good.
rick9933 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2013, 08:02 PM   #14 (permalink)

I am currently in the market for a new tire for my 03 MDX, my CTs are coming down to their last miles and unfortunately are discontinued.

Driving is mostly city & highway, we live in hilly neighborhood which can get some snow during the year, but mostly rain during winter here on the west coast. However on weekends we like to take excursions: this includes light gravel & forest service roads occasionally.

Any feedback from users of this tire would be greatly appreciated.

Local discount tire location also has the Pirelli Scorpion ATRs for almost $40 cheaper per tire..lots of 1st gen Honda Pilot owner reviews; however they have different specs, weight more (37lbs vs 33 lbs michelin), are speed rated H, and are XL vs SL (standard load), all this leads me to believe they would provide much stiffer and firmer ride than michelins at2s...
G-lak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013, 06:54 AM   #15 (permalink)

We're your CTs fine for your needs? If so LTX MS2.

ATR is designed for pick ups. It's even standard on F150's. the heavier tire will damage mpg acceleration and braking.
boston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: