tire replacement time - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-22-2010, 06:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

tire replacement time

What is the best tire for my MDX 2002 model year? I plan to replace with four new. I never drive off-road and seldom on back-country roads. But yes, much highway driving, often with a full cargo load ( two big dogs plus gear for the three of us) and occasionally a small enclosed travel trailer for canoe gear and etc. I want a tire that will support highway speeds of 75-85 on hot days and cold when the traffic (and law enforcement) permits that. I care more about safety than tread life.

What is your experience with the Michelin that is promoted by my dealer as Original Equipment? It is only speed-rated as a Category T. This feels uncomfortable since I prefer H or at least V rated tho I don't go that fast. I just want the peace of mind of a really good tire that won't blow out ever nor roll me over!
casiargentino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2010, 11:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

I use inexpensive tires I randomly find pairs on CL. I know perelli makes "scorpian" in the correct size for the 02. I'd be very comfortable with the michelins in your senerio. Good Luck.!
Old 06-23-2010, 01:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolt View Post
I use inexpensive tires I randomly find pairs on CL. I know perelli makes "scorpian" in the correct size for the 02. I'd be very comfortable with the michelins in your senerio. Good Luck.!
Thanks, bolt. Will check into the scorpians.
casiargentino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2010, 09:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

You can check Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels and find the tires for your car and then look at the survey results. Very very informative. While you might not directly order tires from that site (b.c. with shipping and handling and then installation it might be cheaper at a local tire shop) you can get an excellent idea of what are good tires.
cl206 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2010, 07:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by casiargentino View Post
What is the best tire for my MDX 2002 model year? I plan to replace with four new. I never drive off-road and seldom on back-country roads. But yes, much highway driving, often with a full cargo load ( two big dogs plus gear for the three of us) and occasionally a small enclosed travel trailer for canoe gear and etc. I want a tire that will support highway speeds of 75-85 on hot days and cold when the traffic (and law enforcement) permits that. I care more about safety than tread life.

What is your experience with the Michelin that is promoted by my dealer as Original Equipment? It is only speed-rated as a Category T. This feels uncomfortable since I prefer H or at least V rated tho I don't go that fast. I just want the peace of mind of a really good tire that won't blow out ever nor roll me over!
the other oem tire is the goodyear integrity. Cheap and not rated well, however if you narrow down tire racks reviews to just acura -many people happy with the longevity.

an h or v rated tire will make the mdx ride rougher
CODOG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2010, 06:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Any reason you don't like the Michelin Cross Terrain?
I've had both.
Goodyear Integrity - very soft, cushy ride, with treads lasting till 40K miles mark. Inexpensive.
Michelin CT - more firmer but comfortable ride, over 70K miles that requires replacement soon. Expensive at initial purchase but not if you consider the mileage it lasted.

I'll be replacing with Michelin CT soon.

Agree with above post regarding "H" rated "V" rated, etc. You really don't need more than "T" rated tire for MDX for what you describe.
12BlueX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2010, 12:10 AM   #7 (permalink)

I recently bought Hankooks from Tirerack for a good price, and they are quite good for the price. I can't say too much about longevity though yet, but they are quite and rides quite nicely.
MaD-X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2010, 12:49 AM   #8 (permalink)

I didn't see that good news on Hankook tires.

WARNING/BEWARE: Hankook tire blown on I-5 freeway!!! - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

I've gotten Michelin MXM Pilot and I'm pretty happy with them but I haven't tested in rain yet. It's trendwear is 300 tho. The ride is pretty good and comfortable.
2003 Acura MDX Touring (Sold) hit by another vehicle
Will4271 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2010, 06:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

Tires for your 2002 MDX

It's best to stay with the OEM recommended Michelin Cross-Terrains if you want quiet comfortable ride, long service life (>60,000 miles), and good dry and wet traction including in snow. Stay away from Hankooks, they have a tendency to cup and become noisy. I had a set on my 04 Acura TL and they became noisy after 12,000 miles.

BFG offers the cheaper Long Trail TA, but after speaking with Discount Tire rep, he told me they are noisier than the Michelins.

Another thing to consider in today's high gas prices is the weight of the tire. Some are heavier than others which negatively impact fuel economy. Also check the age of the new tire before you buy it. The four-digit DOT manufacturing code is on the back side which tells you the age of the tire. Some tires sit in warehouses for a long time before being shipped to a store.
redlinemdx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2010, 10:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

Probably a good idea to do alignment when getting tires also. Also get it done right.

Mines initially wasn't done right 3 weeks ago. I found the vehicle pulling left.

After 2 hrs at BigO today they finally fixed it I hope. So it appears ok after the alignment.

Total difference now in the drive and ride.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:16 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will4271 View Post
I didn't see that good news on Hankook tires.

WARNING/BEWARE: Hankook tire blown on I-5 freeway!!! - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

I've gotten Michelin MXM Pilot and I'm pretty happy with them but I haven't tested in rain yet. It's trendwear is 300 tho. The ride is pretty good and comfortable.
You should check out the rating on Tirerack. I had Pirelli Scorpions blowout on the freeway too, but that doesn't mean that they are bad tires.
MaD-X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2010, 11:58 PM   #12 (permalink)

It is usually what you pay is what you get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaD-X View Post
You should check out the rating on Tirerack. I had Pirelli Scorpions blowout on the freeway too, but that doesn't mean that they are bad tires.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:11 AM   #13 (permalink)

I run Toyo Open Countries on my 04 and I love em. They ride extremely smooth and they are great in the snow. Just my $0.02
Drew04MDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2010, 01:43 AM   #14 (permalink)

michelin LTX
4ntvinacura is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2010, 12:05 PM   #15 (permalink)

Bridgestone Dueler Alenza's. Love 'em. Wife put 9k on them in 7 months. Still quiet and smooth.
bpddaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: