tire replacement time - Page 3 - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-08-2010, 06:43 AM   #31 (permalink)

If it's not a problem AAHill, I also would love to see the pics of 245-65-17 tires.
matt03acura is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2011, 07:22 PM   #32 (permalink)

Photos

Here you go... any questions, let me know...
Attached Thumbnails
tire replacement time-mdx-front.jpg   tire replacement time-mdx-rear.jpg   tire replacement time-mdx-close-up.jpg  

'05 MDX Touring + Navi (Sage Brush Pearl / Quartz)
Michelin LTX M/S
AAHill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2011, 08:33 PM   #33 (permalink)

Anybody had experience with Michelin Primacy MXV4. This tire is rated 1 of the best seller at Tirerack and the price looks interesting compared to Michelin Cross Terrain. Take a look at the following link:

Tire Search Results

I need 4 new tires on my X and I'm planning to use those tires.

Let me know how's everybody opinions. Thanks !
Compustar 2 way remote starter.
snake07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2011, 12:39 AM   #34 (permalink)

I've know for ages that Michelin rubber degrades. Don't know the specific reason, but there's a busy repair shop next door, and we've had that discussion. Tread good, age cracked, so off they come. And I live in the rust belt, so sun is only an issue 1/2 the year.

michelin tire rubber dry rot - Google Search
UGLYTRUK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2011, 09:34 AM   #35 (permalink)

If you are in Chicago, I would go to Discount Tire, they will beat anyone's price out there and have the best service. I just put the Michelin LTX M/S on my 01 X. My wife and kids just took the truck to Florida for spring break and the truck performed beautifully. Also, I have seen sets of Michelins get well over the mileage they are supposed to be rated for. Like 120k miles on a 60k mile tire. If you wan the best, put on Michelins. FYI Bridgestone Alenzas also do well, and Yokohama also builds really good tires.

IMHO.

Mike
Old 04-03-2011, 10:47 AM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknWhite23 View Post
If you are in Chicago, I would go to Discount Tire, they will beat anyone's price out there and have the best service. I just put the Michelin LTX M/S on my 01 X. My wife and kids just took the truck to Florida for spring break and the truck performed beautifully. Also, I have seen sets of Michelins get well over the mileage they are supposed to be rated for. Like 120k miles on a 60k mile tire. If you wan the best, put on Michelins. FYI Bridgestone Alenzas also do well, and Yokohama also builds really good tires.

IMHO.

Mike
I agree and Discount Tire is where I'm going for my tire replacement and Michelin Primacy MXV4 is lower in price compared to Michelin LTX and Michelin Cross Terrain. I can save about $150 for 4 tires and Michelin Primacy MXV4 is also rating one of the best seller on Tirerack.

Firestone replaced my 05 camry with Bridgestone Potenza and it's not cheap. I paid around $160/each and it only last 40k miles, it's so noisy that I can't stand it and the rating is 50k miles. I complaint to Firestone and they gave me some ****s like the tires are not rotated as it supposed to ( I've done all rotations by myself) and my struts were weak that caused it, they said struts supposed to replaced at 50k miles.....and did not do anything about it so I never go back to Firestone for tires again.

I have the original Michelin Cross Terrain on my X and I've got 70k miles on it, the tread depth is still 5/32 " so I might keep it for a little while, maybe I'll replace them in the Fall, unless I find a good deal before that.
Compustar 2 way remote starter.
snake07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2011, 05:49 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren13 View Post
Goodyear Assurance ComforTred

what do u guys think of these?I want the most comfortable tire for my 2003 mdx.I live in new york city and want a smooth ride.I went to tire rack and put in info for comfort first and these came up.My only problem is in they say they are for sedans and coupes,even thought they came up under mdx search.
I put a set on my TL a few years back, and didn't like them. Ride was soft and quiet, but handling was really mushy and the front end felt like it was washing out.
Took them off and replaced with a set of Triple Treads (non Forterra) and it was much improved. I would suspect your MDX would have the same poor steering as my TL did with the Comfortreads.

'05 MDX
Old 04-03-2011, 05:55 PM   #38 (permalink)

OK, here's my perplexing tire story. Bought this '05 MDX 2 years ago, and installed new Goodyear Forterra Triple Treads. It drove OK but nothing like the TL I had just traded off. I figured it was an SUV thing. Put a set of Dunlop Grandtec snow tires on this winter, and WOW. Not only was the grip really good, but the MDX drove like a sports car. Now spring is here and I don't want to put the Forterra's back on. I'm in a small town and my local tire shop has Goodyear and Dunlop, so would like to stick with those. Anyone have experience with Goodyear Eagle RSA's? How about Dunlop SP Sport? I just want a good handling tire that is also good in the rain. Winter is not an issue as I will put my winter tires back on. Would appreciate any advise. Thanks.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:38 PM   #39 (permalink)

I would not recommend the RSA's or any other goodyear/kelly/dunlop tire, IMO. I would buy some really good tires from discounttiredirect.com . They will ship you the tires and then you just take them somewhere to have installed. Save some cash, buy a great tire, enjoy the ride all year long!

My opinion.

Mike
Old 12-29-2012, 02:51 PM   #40 (permalink)

The OEM Michelin Cross Terrains are excellent. The reasons: high mileage, ride comfort, and quiet. I bought my '03 new, got 61k out of the originals, got an unbelievable 74k out of the second set, and replaced those this fall with 135k on the car. With a 65k treadware warrantee, and these will take me to 200k.

Note: Be sure to get a good, highspeed spin balance. When this 3rd set went on this fall, the car shook just a but at 80+ mph. Me being me, I took it back and had the shop rebalance them. The car is now smooth even at 90 mph. (Did I mention I am a Massachusetts driver?)

I also recommend BJ's Wholesale club for tires.
ovation is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #41 (permalink)
Teo

Firestone Dueler Alenza experiences

I recently on Dec 8, have a set of Firestone Dueler Alenza 235/65/17 installed on my 2003 MDX at Costco. First day ride..steering was shaking at 60+ mph and pulling to the right side. Got it rebalanced and rerotated, then was shaking at 65mph+ and pulling right. Again rerotated and rebalanced, got on to a 2500 miles trip...Steering occassionally was shaking at 70+ mph, or sometimes at 80 mph and keep pulling to the right side. I wonder how many people have the same experiences with Firestone Dueler Alenza tires or simply poor job at Costco. I had Michelin Tires before and had never had steering shaking or pulling problem before. Each rotation at Costco took about 2 hours wait by the way, what a pain in the butt. And when I asked where each tire got moved to which wheel...they do not know and do not bother to track them. All they keep telling me it is the best tires in the world.
Teo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teo View Post
I recently on Dec 8, have a set of Firestone Dueler Alenza 235/65/17 installed on my 2003 MDX at Costco. First day ride..steering was shaking at 60+ mph and pulling to the right side. Got it rebalanced and rerotated, then was shaking at 65mph+ and pulling right. Again rerotated and rebalanced, got on to a 2500 miles trip...Steering occassionally was shaking at 70+ mph, or sometimes at 80 mph and keep pulling to the right side. I wonder how many people have the same experiences with Firestone Dueler Alenza tires or simply poor job at Costco. I had Michelin Tires before and had never had steering shaking or pulling problem before. Each rotation at Costco took about 2 hours wait by the way, what a pain in the butt. And when I asked where each tire got moved to which wheel...they do not know and do not bother to track them. All they keep telling me it is the best tires in the world.
First of all, the Dueler Alenza is sold under the Bridgestone brand name, not Firestone.

Vibrations and pulling can be caused by any (or any combination) of a number of problems, including improper balancing, improper alignment, suspension problems (like bent components, worn/cracked bushings, etc), and tire manufacturing defects. You need to have a competent mechanic (preferably one who is ASE-certified in suspension work, or who has a lot of suspension experience) take a look at the car to diagnose the problem(s). You won't find one at Costco.

I suspect your problem is not with the tires themselves, but rather, either something is wrong with your car, or the wheels weren't balanced properly. Given that the tires were re-balanced, I'm betting on an alignment and/or suspension problem.

As for the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza, I've been using them on my MDX with absolutely no problems. (I've had a few problems with the stock Michelin Cross-Terrains, with vibration/balancing and inflation problems as they get worn down.)

BTW, it's easy to do tire rotations yourself, even if you're not much of a mechanic. All you need is a torque wrench; you can buy one for under $20 at Harbor Freight. You can use the jack that comes with the car, or you can spend $50+ for a floor jack. If you don't have an extra wheel/tire, you can use the spare tire as a placeholder on the car as you move each wheel to a different corner. If it's not the first time you're doing it (or if you have someone knowledgeable showing you what to do), you should be able to do it in 30 minutes. As another alternative, you can have the tires rotated when you get your oil changed, since the car will be on a lift anyway. Either way, no need to wait two hours (!) at Costco.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:16 PM   #43 (permalink)
Teo

Thank you nsxtasy, You are right on the tire brand. I will ask them to rebalance the tires again. I know the alignment and condition of the car are great. It has only 62K miles on it. I had the old tires before and never had steering wheel vibrating or pulling right. I can rotate them myself no problem, but not balancing. Costco guy did tell me the balancing was off a bit in the last two rotation/balancing. Sorry if I did not say clearly both times they rebalanced the tires and both times said they said they were off a bit. Anyway, I have a appointment for 10am tomorrow for rebalancing and rotation and will see.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #44 (permalink)
Teo

Just to follow up with my tires issue. Went to a separate Costco for rebalance and rerotate all tires. I insisted they have to cross tires and mark them. They found both front tires off 1.25oz. They also rerotated all 4 tires and cross. I drove on the hwy, vibration are gone, steering are go straight and not pulling right, or at least it is straight until road surface change a lot. That little 1.25oz off good enough to pull your car to left or right when the wheels speeding at such high speed.

From my experiences, I know aligment is not the problem although tires shop always claims nothing wrong with their work or tires. For many years of driving experiences, I have to say get the tires fixed before spend money on aligment etc. This happened to my other car. The problem immediately fixed by Discount Tires. They installed all brand new tires on my car, steering pulled to the right, rebalanced, rotated the front tires to the back, steering stayed stable and straight. Then when they moved the rear tires to the front, same problem occurs. They decided to install two brand new tires to the front, tested and no steering pulling. Problem solved.
In this MDX, I noticed one tire was manufactured a year earlier, and is now on the rear side rather than front wheel. Different manufacturing time created different batch of quality tires, various density and durability. Material are not always the same. That is why some people said why they get different mileage off the same brand/model tires. I hope this helps some car owners when they installed new tires and run into the same problem. If you do not have steering problem on the old tires, please insist they fix the new tire problem, that save you some money to fix perfect alignment or steering the shop ask you to.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:04 PM   #45 (permalink)

Have a little over 2500 miles on cooper cs4 touring tires on my wife's mdx. So far we are happy. Has done well in heavy rain and snow/ice so far this fall/winter. Time will tell how they wear but they have an 80 k treadlife warranty. We are not overly aggressive drivers so our review reflects that but we were definitely happy with their performance on the 4-6" of snow covered central PA roads over the holidays.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: