Winter Tires & Rimms - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-18-2012, 12:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Winter Tires & Rimms

Hi there,

Have a two part question re: my 2008 MDX. For winter tires wondering what's a good tire to get that's kind of mid way in price. Also, for steel rimms...anyone know what size I have to order to get around the brake disc and calipers?

Second question is I bought this vehicle used. With 60K on the dial...is it worth me getting it rust proofed and if so is the oil drip kind the best?

Not really experienced with Honda products yet. Been driving Audi/VW for years.

If someone could answer or flip me a link to an existing thread that would be great.
2008MDex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 02:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008MDex View Post
For winter tires wondering what's a good tire to get that's kind of mid way in price.
Here's what I wrote in the big winter tire discussion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsxtasy View Post
In winter conditions, the difference between all-season tires and winter tires is HUGE. What many people don't realize is that they're not just for snow and ice; winter tires grip much better in frigid temperatures, even when the roads are dry, thanks to their ability to remain soft and pliable at those temperatures. All-season tires are designed as a compromise - okay in warmer temperatures (not as grippy as summer tires, but okay), and okay in cold temperatures (not as grippy as winter tires, but okay). Winter tires do better at the specific conditions for which they were designed.

Note that there are three types of winter tires. Using the Tire Rack terminology: "studless ice and snow" winter tires, "performance" winter tires, and "studdable" winter tires. The "studless ice and snow" winter tires give the best grip on ice and snow, but their handling when temperatures aren't so cold can be only so-so and less responsive. The "performance" winter tires offer better handing on warmer days than the studless variety, but aren't quite as grippy on ice and snow. "Studdable" winter tires really aren't a good choice, because tests have shown that in most winter conditions, today's modern "studless" winter tires give better traction than the studdable tires with studs installed. (Ref 1) (Ref 2) The use of studded tires is also illegal in many of the states and provinces with some of the worst winter weather.

Whether you need winter tires, and which type you choose, may depend on the conditions you face. If you live in an area with mild winters, or if you have another vehicle you would use when winter strikes, all-seasons might be sufficient for your needs and you might not need winter tires at all. If you do a lot of long-distance interstate driving, the performance winter tire might be a good choice. If your winter driving is mostly on local streets that aren't always kept clear, the studless ice and snow tires might be best. If you have no alternative but to drive even in the worst winter weather - maybe you're an emergency responder, or maybe you just HAVE to drive to work - and you absolutely must get where you're going no matter what, then the studless ice and snow tires are probably a good choice. And if you live in a cold climate with a fair amount of snow and/or ice as well as frigid temperatures, again, the studless might be best.

If you want to use winter tires, it's worth it to get an extra set of wheels, so you only have to get the tires mounted and balanced on the wheels one time. If you don't already have an extra set of wheels, you can find a used set of stock wheels for as little as $200, on eBay or at car-parts.com as well as in the Classifieds forum here.

I've considered winter tires money well spent. As I see it, all they have to do is prevent an accident once, and they've paid for themselves (depending on the amount of your insurance deductible). And because I only use them for 2-3 months a year, they don't get many miles on them each year; I just buy them once, and that one set then lasts many years.

Last year I needed to buy a set of winter tires for my MDX. Because I live in an area with extreme cold temperatures (temps of -10F or colder are not uncommon) as well as plenty of snow, I wanted the studless ice and snow tires. On the advice of the knowledgeable folks at Tire Rack, I got the Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1. I love 'em.

Of course, there's also the "jinx effect". If you buy a set of winter tires, you will then have very mild winters. If you don't buy them and try to get by on all-seasons, you will then have very harsh winters. In which case, it's easier to get around on winter tires when you don't need them, than on all-seasons when you really need winter tires.
So the answer to your question is, first, decide whether you want the "studless ice and snow" winter tires, or the "performance" winter tires. If you want the studless type - which are generally less expensive than the performance type - then the Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 is an excellent choice, and so is the Michelin Latitude X-Ice Xi2. Both are nicely priced, around $135/tire in 235/65-17 and around $180/tire in 255/55-18.

Quote:
for steel rimms...anyone know what size I have to order to get around the brake disc and calipers?
Some 17" rims will fit, for which you can get 235/65-17 tires, and of course you can get 18" with the stock 255/55-18. But are you sure you want steel rims? As I noted above, you can often find sets of used OEM wheels for the same price as new steelies. And for me, even if they're not immaculate, a used set of stock alloy wheels looks a whole lot better than new steelies. $.02

(Note that MDX wheels from any year 2007 and later will all fit your 2008 MDX. The 17" wheels from the 2001-2006 MDX will NOT fit your car because their bolt pattern is different.)

Quote:
is it worth me getting it rust proofed
No!
Old 11-25-2012, 05:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Here is what I bought from Tire Rack a couple of weeks ago and installed on a 2008 MDX Sport myself.

Qty
Size and Description
Availability
Price Each
Total Price
4 17x8 Sport Edition TK5 Silver In Stock $129.00 $516.00
4 Required centering ring In Stock N/C N/C
20 Required lugnut for vehicle (Nickel Plated) In Stock N/C N/C
1 Lug installation tool In Stock N/C N/C
4 315MHz Tire Pressure Sensor In Stock $29.00 $116.00
4 245/65R-17 Michelin Latitude X-Ice Xi2 Download Warranty Brochure PDF In Stock $146.00 $584.00
4 Mount and Balance (No Charge) In Stock N/C N/C

So far it has exceeded my expectations in that they are quieter and handle very well at temps around Zero Celsius or 32 F. So far little snow, I will report on that as soon as I have driven a few hours in a snow storm.

The TPMS are made in Japan and worked seamlessly.
Hub rings are made in Germany.
Wheels made in China.
Tires made in Canada. 245-65-17 (diameter 29")

They were on Tire Rack recommended list for winter wheels/tires on 2008 MDX.
The wheels are alloy 5 spoke and painted coated) not as good as OEM but good enough for 6 years or so.

The price was unmatched elsewhere even at Costco.
MickeyHickey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 09:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

hi mickey, how do Michelin latitude xice2 do on heavy snow? thanks

2006 Toyota Camry V6. 255,000 Miles.
mmm666 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 08:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

We have had little snow so far. In slush they work well, being narrower than stock they tend not to ride on top (hydroplane) in conditions where vehicles with wider tires (Corvette, Camaro, GT6 types) were in the ditch. As soon as we get heavy snow I will report back. My 4 year old shovelled the driveway yesterday and we have rain forecast today, global warming is working.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:46 AM   #6 (permalink)

We just had a 13 inch (35 cm) snowfall with temperatures around -10C (14F).
Traffic was moving at 15 to 25 mph (25 to 40 kph), transit buses were stalling on tight corners, curbs were not visible, traffic was light. The MDX with Michelin XICE xi2 handled very well on what was well packed snow with ice patches underneath, very little snow ploughing was done due to the ice underneath and the temperature being too low for salt to be effective. When temperatures increased to around -7C and rising after the storm passed ploughing and salting were done.

I have used Michelin snow and ice tires for over 20 years and these are as good as as any I have used. The best I ever had were Gislaved with studs which are now illegal (was actually charged) where I live. Pirellis were harsh and noisy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: