Tire rotation & wheel balance - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-17-2012, 09:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

Tire rotation & wheel balance

I need to rotate the 4 tires on my 2008 MDX. I am told I need to re-balance each tire. Is that so or the dealer is trying to rip me off? If that is the case, does that mean every time I rotate the tires, they need to be re-balanced? I thought once each tire is balanced, they can rotate and there is no need to do it again. Thanks for all your response.
ken88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 09:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

There should be no need to balance the tires. Use a different shop or rotate them yourself.
Bill_de is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 10:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

My dealer charges $20.00 total to rebalance and rotate, IMO that is a bargain, I have it done every oil change. As your tires wear, I think it is a good idea to ensure proper balancing. It certainly can't hurt.

2014 Escape Titanium 2.0 Turbo 4WD
Sterling Gray Metallic
Tsturbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 11:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken88 View Post
I need to rotate the 4 tires on my 2008 MDX. I am told I need to re-balance each tire. Is that so or the dealer is trying to rip me off? If that is the case, does that mean every time I rotate the tires, they need to be re-balanced? I thought once each tire is balanced, they can rotate and there is no need to do it again. Thanks for all your response.
You don't really need to. But if it's like $20/25 then I might go for it. When I took my Lexus es350 in for a rotation and inspection one time, a indy shop told me they have to do a balance with the rotation and they wanted $50. I said no thanks and haven't been back.
cl206 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 12:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

I rotate faithfully every 10,000 miles, but I only spin balance if I feel a vibration through the steering wheel or driver's seat. And I only get an alignment if I see premature or uneven wear or when I have a new set of tires installed.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianoman41 View Post
I rotate faithfully every 10,000 miles, but I only spin balance if I feel a vibration through the steering wheel or driver's seat.
No need to get tires re-balanced unless you're feeling some kind of vibration (or getting them re-mounted on different wheels, of course).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianoman41 View Post
And I only get an alignment if I see premature or uneven wear or when I have a new set of tires installed.
There's no need to get an alignment when you get new tires, unless the old ones were wearing unevenly or unusually fast. OTOH there are other reasons to get an alignment - if you make changes to your car's suspension (new shocks/springs etc), if your car is pulling to one side, if you hit a pothole really hard, etc. And in the absence of those things, an alignment is still probably not a bad idea after a long time or a lot of miles, just because similar things (e.g. potholes) can accumulate over time and cause enough of a change that it may be worth checking.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

you'd better make sure. 20 bucks is typically rotation only. balance is more expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsturbo View Post
My dealer charges $20.00 total to rebalance and rotate, IMO that is a bargain, I have it done every oil change. As your tires wear, I think it is a good idea to ensure proper balancing. It certainly can't hurt.
qqzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 02:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

buy your tires at a place that provides free rotation, balance and road hazard - if you do it every 10,000 miles and get 60,000 out of the tires, that 6 times or a savings of between $150 - $300; plus you get the free road hazard. I would always balance when I rotate - if you think you shouldn't, have them spin it when you rotate and you'll be surprised it'll be out of balance.
domano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 11:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qqzj View Post
you'd better make sure. 20 bucks is typically rotation only. balance is more expensive.
I'm sure. It is quite the bargain

2014 Escape Titanium 2.0 Turbo 4WD
Sterling Gray Metallic
Tsturbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 11:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

No need to balance unless you can feel a problem. And, rotating can be done at home with a good size floor jack, and using the spare in the process. The added benefit to this is getting the spare out and making sure it has air in it. But, say no to the routine rebalancing.
tom34diy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: