Acura OEM Steel Rims? 18" Ridgeline ? - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-23-2012, 09:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Acura OEM Steel Rims? 18" Ridgeline ?

Seached the forum and haven't seen a reference to a stock OEM steel rim for the MDX. There are a few discussions about putting Ridgeline steel rims on instead for the salt and pothole infested Canadian winter ;-)

So the questions I have:

- does Acura even make a OEM steel rim for the MDX ? If so what is the part number ?

- when searching for Ridgeline steel rims online I see both 17 and 18 inch rims. Has anyone used a 18" Ridgeline rim to replace a 18" Acura rim ? I see that 17" rims apparently fit from previous threads and that the Honda TPMS is not compatible with Acura's system.

thx for any info...
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2012, 09:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

As far as I know there are pilot steel rims.
wrestrepo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2012, 09:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestrepo View Post
Called a local dealer today. They were a bit cagey when I asked what steel rims they used or suggested -- although they did say most people drop down an inch for snows. They told me they would have more info around Labour Day for tire packages. They wouldn't give up more info ( part number etc.)

Will expand my search further...
Old 07-23-2012, 09:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

If it were me I wouldn't use steels, just look for a used set of rims online, you won't have to deal with rust, and still preserve the look of the car
wrestrepo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2012, 07:23 AM   #5 (permalink)

Good point. Every so often you get a great deal on Oem alloys on EBay. Saw 4 RDX new alloys go for us $309 this week. So watch eBay and you'll get lucky.
Steelies Ridgeline or second Gen. Pilot will work well for you.
boston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 11:00 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestrepo View Post
Will try the local Honda "st"ealers.

Thanks...
Old 09-17-2012, 11:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

Blizzak WS70s ?

Called the dealer today - the steel rims they quoted me were part # 42700SZAA02, which are apparently ( from a web search ) Honda Pilot or Ridgeline 17" rims.

One of the deals they offered was Blizzak WS70 235-65-r17. The folks at Costco suggested the WS70 didn't have the proper load rating for an MDX ( 104 instead of a minimum of 105 ). They suggested the Blizzak XL DM V1 which has a higher load rating ( 109 ).

My question would be why is the dealer offering an under sized tire...

The dealer "deal" was $1540 + HST for WS70s + rims + TPS , installed, which seems about right for a Canadian dealer, but high otherwise.

Edit: checked the Tire Rack site: the WS70s are speed rating T (118mph) , while the DM V1 are R (106 mph ), so now I'm confused which one I should pick.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:40 AM   #8 (permalink)

Either load rating is fine. The higher load rating will lead to a harsher ride. As for speed rating do you really plan on doing over 100mph on snow?
boston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2012, 07:05 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston View Post
Either load rating is fine. The higher load rating will lead to a harsher ride. As for speed rating do you really plan on doing over 100mph on snow?
No. of course not -- I was just assuming higher speed rating was better.

Thanks for the info.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

@Leaffan, so what did you finally go with? I am still looking at seeing what to get for our X. And did you get center caps for the Honda oem rims? I can get the rims you mentioned, but want to know what center caps and lugs are needed.
hab138 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 08:17 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hab138 View Post
@Leaffan, so what did you finally go with? I am still looking at seeing what to get for our X. And did you get center caps for the Honda oem rims? I can get the rims you mentioned, but want to know what center caps and lugs are needed.
I bought Blizzak DMV1s at Costco. I'm having them mounted on steel Ridgeline 17" rims at the Acura dealer in a week or so. The dealer is discounting the rims and TPMS so it worked out the same as having them done at Costco. I didn't get the greatest feeling that the rims and TPMS from Costco were correct, but who knows... Costco usually has good return policies -- it's just their first come - first served policy for installation is less attractive than a firm appointment at the dealer.

The size I went with is P235-65-r17 which will be essentially the same diameter as the stock 18" rims with P255-55-r18.

I'm looking around ebay for center caps but I'm not sure if any of the Acura ones will fit the Honda rims even though they seem to be the right size. I'll ask the Acura dealer if they fit -- maybe they'll cut me a deal there, too.

Edit: AFAIK the lugs are the same ( can be reused ) . That was one of the reasons I didn't like some of the after market rims -- they required different lugs.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:43 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaffan View Post
I bought Blizzak DMV1s at Costco. I'm having them mounted on steel Ridgeline 17" rims at the Acura dealer in a week or so. The dealer is discounting the rims and TPMS so it worked out the same as having them done at Costco. I didn't get the greatest feeling that the rims and TPMS from Costco were correct, but who knows... Costco usually has good return policies -- it's just their first come - first served policy for installation is less attractive than a firm appointment at the dealer.

The size I went with is P235-65-r17 which will be essentially the same diameter as the stock 18" rims with P255-55-r18.

I'm looking around ebay for center caps but I'm not sure if any of the Acura ones will fit the Honda rims even though they seem to be the right size. I'll ask the Acura dealer if they fit -- maybe they'll cut me a deal there, too.

Edit: AFAIK the lugs are the same ( can be reused ) . That was one of the reasons I didn't like some of the after market rims -- they required different lugs.
I did a bit more research and there are a few more threads on here that talk about the lugs and center caps too.
Apparently you can get a wheel disc/hub cap for the centre that requires a lug with a washer on it. if you google the part number of 44732-sjc-a01 you'll find it and may see the breakdown of the wheel and the parts you need. I have a similar setup using on my winter tires for our 03 odyssey using the comparable steel pilot rims and have to use the lugs with the washer on them. not a big deal, just have an separate set of lugs for the winters

but there is another thread on here that refers to a Centre cap p/n 44732-SL5-A10 see http://www.mdxers.org/forums/74-2007...ter-tires.html

I'm still torn on whether to get steels or alloys for winter rims. decisions, decisions :-) I've read that the alloys will corrode over time, but the steels rust too.. anyone using ridgeliine alloys having any issues with theirs?
Old 11-15-2012, 03:22 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
I...there is another thread on here that refers to a Centre cap p/n 44732-SL5-A10 see http://www.mdxers.org/forums/74-2007...ter-tires.html
The dealer said that the Acura wheel caps would fit, but they were ~ $40 a piece ( a similar story was suggested when I looked for center caps for my wife's CR-V a few years back).

Unfortunately I told the parts guy to forget it before thinking to ask what the part number was... The ones on eBay are usually around $40 for an entire set, used. I believe the Acura part number and Honda part number are very similar which might be a clue as well.

I also seem to remember hearing that the push-on center caps have a propensity to fall off, so if there's one with a lug and washer that might be better.

Thanks for the info, I'll keep looking on this board and elsewhere...

PS I'm surprised someone with "Hab" in their username is helping someone called "leaffan" ;-)
Old 11-16-2012, 12:40 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
The dealer said that the Acura wheel caps would fit, but they were ~ $40 a piece ( a similar story was suggested when I looked for center caps for my wife's CR-V a few years back).

Unfortunately I told the parts guy to forget it before thinking to ask what the part number was... The ones on eBay are usually around $40 for an entire set, used. I believe the Acura part number and Honda part number are very similar which might be a clue as well.

I also seem to remember hearing that the push-on center caps have a propensity to fall off, so if there's one with a lug and washer that might be better.

Thanks for the info, I'll keep looking on this board and elsewhere...

PS I'm surprised someone with "Hab" in their username is helping someone called "leaffan" ;-)
Holy crap 40 bucks for a piece of plastic? Ya I saw the product numbers were similar. I just wasn't sure if the push on center caps would work on the ridgeline/pilot steel rims or even if they were compatible across all the Honda oem wheels with the same wheel specs of 5x120 pattern 64.1centerbore etc etc
I can get some used ridgeline alloys for 150 bucks each , but to me that seems a bit high for used rims so I'm considering getting new Honda steels and ordering center caps online just to try them out.

Would appreciate any reviews on your blizzaks too.

As for the hab leaf thing, any fan of the leafs needs as much help as they can get.
Hahahhah I have a few buddies who are leaf fans too, and pity them for the last 45 years too ... Heh
Old 11-22-2012, 01:52 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
The dealer said that the Acura wheel caps would fit, but they were ~ $40 a piece (
Quote:
Holy crap 40 bucks for a piece of plastic?
Far as I know they retail for more like $52, checked them out at the start of the season, sounds like you were getting a deal!

Also, they aren't plastic, saw them in person. They're shiny metal (maybe aluminum) with a black centre and "ACURA" across the middle.
37slow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: