Acura OEM Steel Rims? 18" Ridgeline ? - Page 2 - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-22-2012, 03:29 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37slow View Post
Far as I know they retail for more like $52, checked them out at the start of the season, sounds like you were getting a deal!

Also, they aren't plastic, saw them in person. They're shiny metal (maybe aluminum) with a black centre and "ACURA" across the middle.
Could be, I may have written down the wrong price. I paid $84 a piece for the Ridgeline steel rims, so even $40 for a center cap seemed exorbitant. I'm going to continue to scout eBay.

I'm pleased with the look of the steels - not as bad as I expected - see attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1207.JPG (2.67 MB, 916 views)
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 08:08 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaffan View Post
Could be, I may have written down the wrong price. I paid $84 a piece for the Ridgeline steel rims, so even $40 for a center cap seemed exorbitant. I'm going to continue to scout eBay.

I'm pleased with the look of the steels - not as bad as I expected - see attached.
Those look nice, did your tpms auto initiate? My local Honda dealer was quoting me 90 a rim. Haven't checked the price of tpms yet.
Are those the stock lugs you are using? Or did u have get different ones?

I'm kinda confused as to what center cap is needed for these rims. Does the cap fit around the center or do you install them so they fit inside the center portion of the rim? And how necessary is that center cap at all, other than for aesthetics?
hab138 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 08:35 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaffan View Post

Those look nice, did your tpms auto initiate? My local Honda dealer was quoting me 90 a rim. Haven't checked the price of tpms yet.
Are those the stock lugs you are using? Or did u have get different ones?

I'm kinda confused as to what center cap is needed for these rims. Does the cap fit around the center or do you install them so they fit inside the center portion of the rim? And how necessary is that center cap at all, other than for aesthetics?
Old 11-23-2012, 01:06 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hab138 View Post
Those look nice, did your tpms auto initiate? My local Honda dealer was quoting me 90 a rim. Haven't checked the price of tpms yet. Are those the stock lugs you are using? Or did u have get different ones?

Stock lugs, didn't need to buy new ones ( although the locking lug is overkill for a steel rim, I guess ). The dealer reset the TPMS - it's reading about 250-260 kPa which is higher than the stock tires ( 220 kPa / 32 psi, I believe ), so they probably had to do some magic.

The caps I'm looking for would just go over the center hole to keep salt and sand out of it. There are Ridgeline ones that extend out over the lugs ( see attached, image stolen from an eBay ad, no part number given ), but as far as I can tell they still are held on by clips in the center hole.

For reference my dealer charged me $336 for 4 rims, $170 for the 4 TPMSs. I did pay $152 for installation which is high, but basically made the package price the same as Costco - but Costco was using after market parts. All prices before HST.
Attached Thumbnails
Acura OEM Steel Rims? 18" Ridgeline ?-cap.jpg  
Old 11-23-2012, 01:14 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
And how necessary is that center cap at all, other than for aesthetics?
I've run my wife's CR-V and my previous cars with and without center caps or full wheel covers. I think it is just aesthetics - no one ever suggested they were needed.

These silver coloured rims look much better than the black Honda ones I used on other vehicles - so I probably won't bother with center caps, or not spend much on eBay if they might not fit.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:15 PM   #21 (permalink)

I purchased a set of Acura wheel caps on eBay for my 17" Ridgeline steelies:

part number was 44732-SX0-J010

black Acura symbol on silver background

They appear to be a knockoff product, but I kinda knew this from the eBay ad pix and since they were cheap, $32 for four.

The good news is that fit the hub snuggly, diameter-wise. The bad news is that they cannot by fully pushed in on the rear wheels - it's not the fingers/clips, it is that the center hub post protrudes further out on the rear wheels - maybe by 3 mm.

I considered taking my Dremel unit and carving out that much from the back of the disk, but in the end just installed them as best possible. If they're still there by the end of the winter I'd be surprised.

Perhaps the real OEM versions account for this difference.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:54 PM   #22 (permalink)

Interesting.. your link goes to a honda symbol..
anyways..did you ever try the center cap from your summer wheels to see if they fit in the steelies?

And how are the blizzaks holding out? I hear Ont is having a pretty mild winter so far.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Interesting.. your link goes to a honda symbol..
anyways..did you ever try the center cap from your summer wheels to see if they fit in the steelies?

And how are the blizzaks holding out? I hear Ont is having a pretty mild winter so far.
Yes, that is a Honda part number, further showing they're el-cheapo knock offs. I didn't want to move the ones from the stock all-seasons for fear of breaking the clips -- they're on pretty solid.

So far they've stayed on the back wheels through a few trips at highway speeds.

One thing I noticed was that even after just 3 weeks without a center cap the center hub was starting to rust already on one of the front wheels. I cleaned it off and hit it with a blast of Krown before putting on the caps.

Haven't had too much need of the Blizzaks -- no big dumps of snow and not too much f-rain yet.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:25 AM   #24 (permalink)

I checked a few other eBay auction pictures, and interestingly one picture shows two caps having a back marking of "Cavity #1" and two having "Cavity #2". Perhaps the OEM versions are made to account for differences in front and back hubs ( although they both had the same part number stamped on them and on the package ).

Part number was 44732-S3V-A01

I'll ask the parts counter at the dealer which ones they recommend and if there's a difference between front and back.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:53 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quick FYI, I went and got a set of used 09 ridgeline alloys and ordered the tpms and the center caps 44732-S3V-A01from oemacuraparts , which was a pretty good experience. And mounted 235 65 17 blizzak dmv1 on them.

Quite glad I did cuz last night we got about 6-8 inches of the fresh white stuff. The blizzaks handle a ton better than the Goodyear nordics from Canadian tire, I have on our odyssey. (My wife thought I was wasting $$$ putting winter tires on the mdx, but she has since changed her mind as of this morning especially when we saw cars getting stuck and needing to be pushed)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: