'09 MDX Sport Tire Replacement - Toyo Versado CUV or Toyo Proxes ST II - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-10-2010, 03:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Talking '09 MDX Sport Tire Replacement - Toyo Versado CUV or Toyo Proxes ST II

Hi Guys,

I have about 32K miles on my '09 MDX Sport w/ the Michelin tires (18"). The tread is starting to run low, so I'll probably end up replacing them at 40K miles.

I use to have a '05 TL that had Bridgestone tires and I ended up replacing them with Toyo Proxes 4 and those tires were awesome in all aspects. So, I am very pleased with the quality and performance of Toyo tires.

Since I started looking for new tires (more performance type tires), I am thinking about the new Toyo Versado CUV and the more well-known Proxes ST II. Firestone told me the Versados would be about $203/tire and the Proxes ST II wwould be about $160/tire.

I have been reading a lot of good things about the Versado CUV on the MDXs in this forum, but nothing on the Proxes ST II. Does anyone have any experience with the ST II on your MDX? Please let me know your thoughts and recommendations. I am leaning towards the Versados, but would like to consider the ST II as well. Thanks!
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2010, 06:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vho621983 View Post
Hi Guys,

I have about 32K miles on my '09 MDX Sport w/ the Michelin tires (18"). The tread is starting to run low, so I'll probably end up replacing them at 40K miles.

I use to have a '05 TL that had Bridgestone tires and I ended up replacing them with Toyo Proxes 4 and those tires were awesome in all aspects. So, I am very pleased with the quality and performance of Toyo tires.

Since I started looking for new tires (more performance type tires), I am thinking about the new Toyo Versado CUV and the more well-known Proxes ST II. Firestone told me the Versados would be about $203/tire and the Proxes ST II wwould be about $160/tire.

I have been reading a lot of good things about the Versado CUV on the MDXs in this forum, but nothing on the Proxes ST II. Does anyone have any experience with the ST II on your MDX? Please let me know your thoughts and recommendations. I am leaning towards the Versados, but would like to consider the ST II as well. Thanks!

I have approx 5000 miles on my Versado CUV, after these tires break in at around 1000 miles, I highly recommend them , very smooth and no vibration, I have experience with the Proxes st before they came out with the II, extremely noisy tire, by the way the Versado look great which was surprising for me, tire actually looks slightly wider. IN my opinion the Versado are the way to go.

Also I bought the tires on line from www.treaddepot.com for approx 150.00 each, I used a recommended Tire Rack installer and had the tires shipped direct to them. Make sure that you get the tires roadforced balanced.

2011 INFINITI M37X

WHITE , EBONY
ductman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2010, 10:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

how do either of these two alternatives compare with the stock michelins

Previous Acuras:
bear1906 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2010, 01:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

I'm running 265/45/20 Proxes ST II on my 09 MDX and are quite happy with them. Although I can't give a fair compairison to the stock 18" Michelins, the Proxes are firmer and slightly louder. Then again, they are 20's.

Keep in mind I use them only for summer use and do not know how they handle in the winter. Toyo website describes the Proxes ST II as M&S all season and the Versado CUV says all season.
sand wedge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2010, 12:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Do these tires take care of the vibration issue with OEM's?

M biggest gripe with the OEM tires is that they seem to be prone to vibration and no one seems to be able to balance them correctly. I get a pretty noticeable vibration (causes my watch to shake) when doing higway driving (at its worst at 80 mph). I just had an independent tire shop align, rotate, and balance (telling them that the vibration was occuring at that speed). The vibration is still there. The last time the car was at the dealer they even tried cross-rotating the tires and that did nothing.

I had read in other forums that this vibration is a common phenomenon with the OEM 18" tires. Do either of these tires take care of this issue?
jonrick1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2010, 01:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrick1 View Post
M biggest gripe with the OEM tires is that they seem to be prone to vibration and no one seems to be able to balance them correctly. I get a pretty noticeable vibration (causes my watch to shake) when doing higway driving (at its worst at 80 mph). I just had an independent tire shop align, rotate, and balance (telling them that the vibration was occuring at that speed). The vibration is still there. The last time the car was at the dealer they even tried cross-rotating the tires and that did nothing.

I had read in other forums that this vibration is a common phenomenon with the OEM 18" tires. Do either of these tires take care of this issue?
My experience has been with the stock Michelins, Toyo Proxes II on my 20s, and Pirelli Ice&Snows on my factory 18s. None of them experiencing vibration. I've heard terrible things about the stock Bridgstones.
sand wedge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2010, 02:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrick1 View Post

The most important issue is the use of a roadforce balancer to force match the tires and then balance them, also make sure the Hunter GPS9700 balancer is calibrated daily, concerning the tires I have the Toyo Versado CUV, I have approx 7000 miles on these tires and they are awesome, they track straight, quiet, handle well and most of all NO vibration at any highway even above 80.

2011 INFINITI M37X

WHITE , EBONY
ductman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2010, 02:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Interesting to hear comments about vibration on the stock Michelins - I've got just under 13,000 miles on my '09 (with factory Michelins) and no issues, vibration or otherwise.
jsilas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2010, 04:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
kgb

I've got 30K on my stock Michelins, just came back from a 1000 miles trip throu the mountains - no complains either!
Old 10-18-2010, 02:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thumbs up New Set of Versado CUV tires

I replaced my Michelins 2 weeks ago after 33L miles at Discount Tire Services. Purchase the Versado CUV for $183/tire (before tax/mount/balancing/etc).

So far, they are much better than the Michelins. Ride is still very quiet and it seems that these tires provide a bit more cushioning as well. Also, tires track very well and does not screech when cornering or accelerating off the line.

Also, the TPMS rebuild/seal kits were not necessary when getting these new tires. The TPMS system still works like before - That saved about $20-30. So don't be fooled if they tell you they are required.

So far so good! Thanks everyone for your constructive feedback. Toyos are awesome and high quality tires.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:06 PM   #11 (permalink)

I am on the the second set of stock 18" Michelins, no real complaints. No vibration, smooth and quite for the most part.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:55 PM   #12 (permalink)

12000Km yet, about lost 1/32 on the thread, very very very satisfied with the Toyo Versado CUV, better ride, less roughness, no noise, no vibrations, no noise either......they handle well in the rain wet weather and through water puddles.

Overall they perform better than the OEM Michelin Tour HP, maybe the only place where the Michelin would beat them, is if you do insane extreme cornering.....at very high speed, they will do the trick, but then you'll hear tire screeching. Which is not something quite common to do with an X, i am talking about really hardcore cornering, other than that this tire is a sure bet.

Will be buying another set after this one.....very satisfied over the Michelin

NOW I KNOW SOMETHING more......i like assymetrical thread WAY MORE than a directionnal thread now.....directionnal tend to wear uneven, and get harder to keep balanced when wearing, assymetrical thread is a lot better, as the tire keeps his sport manners, just as it keeps it's confort features also.....try this you won't be disapointed.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:16 PM   #13 (permalink)

So far, I am very satisfied with the Versados. I do tend to take corners pretty hard and the Michelins screeched; the Versados do not :-)

I wouldn't have mind going with the Michelins again, but they are overpriced for what they are. The price difference wasn't worth the actual performance of the Michelins, so it's a win-win with the Versados, better price and better performance.

Here's an off-topic question: What size bulb is the rear dome lights? Mine seem to have burnt out already...almost 2 years...but still pretty early. If anyone knows, that'll be great. Thanks!
Old 11-01-2010, 10:47 AM   #14 (permalink)

I also went with the Versados. I would agree with the one who said they provide more cushioning than the oem Michelins.

So far, I think they do everything better than the originals. Handling, quieter and they look great too and they were much cheaper than the Michelin/Bridgestone equivalents.

The big question of snow traction will be solved soon.
sdginz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2010, 02:31 PM   #15 (permalink)

For the Versado CUV owners, what PSI are you guys using for the tires? The Toyo website said 34 or so, but that seems a bit low. Also, it makes the ride too soft. Is 38-40too high? Road conditions will be mainly dry and sunny. No snow or much rain...Let me know. Thanks!
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: