Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Plasti Dipped Stock 18s on 2010 MDX

47K views 73 replies 29 participants last post by  Alpine003 
#1 ·
Hello all!
Just got my 2010 MDX with tech and entertainment package and wanted to keep it as stock as possible but I love a good set of wheels.. Exploring with plasti dip and I like the end result. Net up getting video on the nav screen and possibly iPhone 5 video out also.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Thanks! Yeah there's a plasti dip clear coat, I forget the actual name. I used 2 coats of that on the plasti dip so it has a satin look to it. The more coats you apply the glossier they become. I don't like shiny hence going for the black to begin with.

#7 ·
Maybe it's the pic. I took the pic with my iPhone right after painting so it might look "dirty" as a result. But I love it. It does add a bit of aggression to it. Oh yeah you can peel it right off whenever you feel like. It's actually protecting my actual wheels right now.

#24 ·
Whoa!!
Okay....what colour should I have chosen?

I hate seeing silver wheels on every friggin car.... I almost feel pukey looking at them. Only started to dislike the silver wheels, maybe less than a month ago(fully).

Every other person does black...white, gun metal, chrome, etc.

I wanted to be different, although done before...google "copper metalizer"

I did it yesterday, and gotten a few compliments, they all liked it..A LOT!!!

Posted it on my Facebook the same time I posted here, and gotten a few likes.

I know its a luxury car, and some might think its not a nice fit, or not their cup of tea....but I am 38 years old, and I am fine with it.

They are many luxury cars out there with funky colours, and looks amazing.

At the end of the day, it can peel off easy.

#26 ·
BTW...just making sure.
Are you guys giving the thumbs down towards the "Wheels" or the "Step"
Orange wheels on a blue car: :28: Those colors DO NOT GO TOGETHER.

The reason everyone else goes with silver or black is that they go with any body color, so they look great. (At least the silver ones do. Black wheels look too much like steelie spare tire wheels to me.)

The reason people tell you they like it in person is probably because many of them just don't want to offend. Most people would not want to tell someone they don't like something they have. But, since you asked here, you got honest answers.

But hey, if you want to be different and do orange and blue, go for it! The only person you have to please is yourself.

#46 ·
I like the current look(outcome), but i wanted what I saw in the first place.
this...

I was aiming for the darker look.
Only ordered 2 cans, and the 1st can is finished
$25 each in Canada...$12-14 in USA!!
I should have gotten 3 cans...it would've darken it.
But it does look amazing.

Because I would've Coppered those spokes too....pissed!!!!

Think outside the box. Let your ride be unique in some type of way, to not look like the next guys car.

These car colour combos below, inspired me to do it.

First I think you're onto something where the example wheels were black and the MDX wheels were silver, so the shading may be a big part of it. But I also think the color is in fact different in and of itself, because the example you showed is much more muted and more bronze vs the MDX ones which are more orange. So the color and type of paint is a big part of it. But the second reason they look different is that the MDX wheels have huge "blades" on the wheels - so you're seeing pretty large areas of color with not nearly as much darker background to help mute the appearance color. Overall I'm not against using a muted bronze color - I think it has merit - but the pic shown for the MDX is missing something - and it could in fact be the wheels themselves.....

andy
Thank you. Kinda exactly what i was thinking.

At the end of the day, I wish it was darker, like I showed in example pic.
If and when I am going to redo, it will be darker. Because I will spray black first.

Before i did it, i was like the spokes are too huge, but oh well, it is what I have...and I don't want to be stock silver another day.

I didn't know I liked the bronze or copper, its only after I did it, it grew on me.

Color of vehicle does not phase me....I like to do what other people won't dare do.
Most of the time, its not just only me that do weird stuff!

This is only temporary until I buy nice looking aftermarket wheels.

#37 ·
I usually take risks on colours.

I added neon green wheel tape to my bike.
I told my friends and family I was going to do it, and they all complained and said it will look ugly and not match, please don't embarrass yourself.
I ordered it, and put it on myself....Every single one liked it, plus a million other people!!!

The green is actually brighter in person, it really is bright neon green...pic is off.

#38 ·
You can like it. It's still FUGLY to me. And clearly, I'm not alone.

At least now you admit that those OMG BLING BLING 22" wheels aren't the stock diameter, instead of falsely claiming that "the dimensions match to the stock wheel" (no, 22" does not match 17").

#39 ·
I brought this thread back to life, so that anyone on the fence or not... that would want to explore different colour combos on their wheel colour options, or just get ideas, that they would feel free to do so. Think outside the box. Let your ride be unique in some type of way, to not look like the next guys car.

The thread title didn't state a colour, which is what attracted me to post in it....Plasti Dip is what I used.
I wanted to show the community, I got the courage to do this towards an MDX...your turn!!
Lots of folks do not know about Plasti Dip.

I must admit that my wife doesn't like it, so i guess it will have to grow on her.

These car colour combos below, inspired me to do it.

#44 ·
There are a couple of reasons (IMHO) that the MDX wheels look so different than the other examples shown. First I think you're onto something where the example wheels were black and the MDX wheels were silver, so the shading may be a big part of it. But I also think the color is in fact different in and of itself, because the example you showed is much more muted and more bronze vs the MDX ones which are more orange. So the color and type of paint is a big part of it. But the second reason they look different is that the MDX wheels have huge "blades" on the wheels - so you're seeing pretty large areas of color with not nearly as much darker background to help mute the appearance color. Overall I'm not against using a muted bronze color - I think it has merit - but the pic shown for the MDX is missing something - and it could in fact be the wheels themselves.....

andy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.