Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Oil Level Low Warning Flashes Randomly

168K views 68 replies 38 participants last post by  jimhow4545 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Every once in a while, the "oil level low" warning indicator briefly flashes on my 2007 MDX's dashboard display. Of course, my oil level is ok. This happens about every 3 days or so, and it sometimes flashes 2 or 3 times in a row.

Note that the warning FLASHES and does NOT remain on. There is a ding sound that accompanies it, the same sound that the low fuel warning indicator makes.

I brought the car to the dealer to have them look into it (Santa Monica Acura) and they said that they would but when I picked up the car, they said it was ok.

Does anyone else have this problem?

#2 ·
ffabbroc said:
Every once in a while, the "oil level low" warning indicator briefly flashes on my 2007 MDX's dashboard display. Of course, my oil level is ok. This happens about every 3 days or so, and it sometimes flashes 2 or 3 times in a row.

Note that the warning FLASHES and does NOT remain on. THere is a ding sound that accompanies it, the same sound that the low fuel warning indictor makes.

I brought the car into the dealer to have them look into it (Santa Monica Acura) and they said that they would but when I picked up the car, they said it was ok.

Anyone else have this problem?
A Service Bulletin (09-012) was issued to address this issue. It is titled: "MID or Navi Shows a Check Engine Oil Level Message, Low Oil Pressure Indicator May Be On"
The fix is to replace the oil pressure switch which is faulty. Your dealer should have this bulletin.

#21 ·
I have a 2007 MDX with 56,000 mile and I've had the same issue with the low oil level warning popping up now every few days. Thanks for the TSB (09-012) bulletin info. After researching online I found another bulletin that supersedes TSB (09-012) issued on June 7th, 2011 at this URL: www.askatech.com/AskATechLive/forums/ResourceHandler.ashx?a=6716 You can download a .pdf copy of the update for free!!

You can also get a copy of the original TSB (09-012) at this URL: http://acura-club.net/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=2411 :)

#3 ·
Re: Re: Oil Level Low Warning Flashes Randomly

RealWing said:

A Service Bulletin (09-012) was issued to address this issue. It is titled: "MID or Navi Shows a Check Engine Oil Level Message, Low Oil Pressure Indicator May Be On"
The fix is to replace the oil pressure switch which is faulty. Your dealer should have this bulletin.
Thanks! Is there any way to get the actual service bulletin itself? I searched online for it and couldn't find it anywhere.

#4 ·
Re: Re: Re: Oil Level Low Warning Flashes Randomly

ffabbroc said:

Thanks! Is there any way to get the actual service bulletin itself? I searched online for it and couldn't find it anywhere.
Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send a copy to you.
Jim

#5 ·
Check Engine Oil Level Message on Navi

My 2007 MDX Navi occasionally shows (and speaks) check engine oil, but the dashboard light does not come on and there is plenty of oil in the vehicle after checking the dipstick. Could you send me the TSB 09-012. "MID or Navi Shows a Check Engine Oil Level Message, Low Oil Pressure Indicator May Be On." I see you have previously discussed this on the forum. It appears this is a common problem on the 2nd generation models?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

#6 ·
I don’t have the original email anymore but you should be able to get the TSBs from the following page (note that registration is required before you can download the TSBs).

MDX Techical Service Bulletins (TSB's) - AcuraZine Community

BTW, I suggest printing this it out and bringing it with you when you go to the dealer. In my experience, dealers take you more seriously this way when a problem is intermittent.

Thanks

#7 ·
Called the Acura dealer about the TSB. They looked it up and were only going to charge me 150.00 parts and labor ($46.00 for the sensor)to replace it. Apparently there was a computer upgrade they had to do along with the replacement. Took it in to the Acura dealer, took 45 minutes to complete, and they comped the cost as a goodwill gesture. Got to give props to David McDavid Acura in Austin.

#8 ·
I'm experiencing the same issue but does it really a programming update in addition to pressure switch replacement? My 08 with 73k miles is out of the warranty and I'm thinking about doing TSB 09-012 myself (parts $22+S/H). I also noticed my VIN is not within the TSB range. Can anyone confirm if program update is required as it's not mentioned in the TSB? Thx!

#10 ·
Common problem. My service advisor knew of the problem over the phone. I just had this fixed under my CPO powertrain warranty. The dealer replaced the oil pressure sensor switch and preformed a PCM undate. They were going to charge me $217 until I reminded them I had the CPO warranty.

#11 ·
My sensor got replaced under warranty six months ago but the message popped up again twice in a week. Oil level is alright. So I am taking it back to the dealer tomorrow to see what's going on. I still have my remaining warranty but I'm still crossing my fingers over this.....

#12 ·
2nd time a charm?

I am hoping that this second time will be the last. Dealer installed a new oil pressure sensor today. On another note- axle boot is leaking! Unfortunately, it's a special order part so I have to come back for another appointment for this warranty job.
Kudos to my service advisor coz he gave me free tire rotation and complimentary car wash. :29:

#13 ·
Ayayay! Make it third time??

Four days after sensor was replaced the message appeared again!!! I'm afraid there is another issue here and I only have less than 3k miles on the remaining extended warranty. I am bringing it back to the dealer tomorrow. Has anyone had the same problem? What can cause a low oil level warning?

#15 ·
hmmmm...tech forgot to erase message....

Service adviser told me that there are two areas to erase the message: navi and cpu. The tech apparently forgot to erase it from the latter. My cv boot got replaced while I was there. Hopefully all is good coz I'm going to Lake Havazu, Az next Friday for a 7-day relaxplaytion.:p Happy X-ing everyone!

#17 ·
I've been getting this dreaded check oil level indicator as well... The engine oil level is fine and of course the X is out of warranty so I guess I'll be swapping the switch out myself. Most likely in a couple of weeks (after the holidays) and hopefully that will fix the issues. But I will keep everyone posted and see how it goes.

Here's a great link: Faulty Acura oil switch - Automotive Service Professional

#19 ·
Have the same dilemma. My 2008 X has 58K miles and started pop this message every day. Is this covered by power train warranty? Called my local dealer, they said that I'd have to bring the vehicle for diagnostic. I don't need the diagnostic - there is a TSB for it, still have to bring it there. I could replace that switch myself - $22 part. But what about software update?:confused:

#20 ·
As a heads up, the switch is a little hard to get to. It's not the one that is easily visible when you take off the RF tire. I was not able to get a socket on so I still have the replacement switch sitting in my garage.

#24 ·
I have a 2009 MDX with 70k miles and just started having this problem today. Of course I'm 300 miles away from home when it started. I only have the problem when I stop at a traffic light, no issues on the highway. Is it safe for me to drive 300 miles home? I checked the oil level a few times today and it's fine.

#28 ·
My 2009 developed this issue just over a year ago (January 2015) at around 33K miles. Dealer was going to charge me, stating the switch is not a powertrain component. I reminded them of my continued business since the car was brand new and they quickly said they would cover the entire cost. Been fine since.

#32 ·
My understanding is that there are two different oil sensors, one is primarily the cause of this issue however with my MDX it turned out it was the second sensor that they call a 'level' sensor. Should replacing this one not resolve the issue it may be the other one.

#35 ·
I have very serious doubts...I’m very familiar with the j series engine and even built a few from the ground up by hand. I have never come across anything that would lead me to believe there is a sensor for the oil level. If you can look into it and come back with some sort of evidence I’d be interested, there’s always more to learn.

#38 ·
This is in fact the only other oil related switch on the vehicle and has no way to monitor level. It’s true it won’t activate vtec if the level is low, but again it’s all driven off of pressure not level. The vehicle sees low pressure and assumes the level is low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk