Engine Air Filter and Cabin Air Filter Recommendations - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Engine Air Filter and Cabin Air Filter Recommendations

Hi,

First of all, I just want to mention that I did do a search on both on this site, and while it did yield results, they are several years old, so I am hoping to get some more recent feedback.

As my technically and mechanically minded nine-year-old daughter wants to work more on the car, I did some research into some easy replacement DIY jobs (since I am hardly mechanical) and came across the engine air filter and the cabin air filter. Looks like both are something a monkey can do (hence, I should be able to do it, maybe taking an hour in the process, though my daughter can probably do it in 30 seconds (she fixed a watch for my Grandma yesterday but taking it apart, and previously I had her install bluetooth kits in my in my other as well as Blackberry screens and keyboards, as well as screens for laptops, not to mention hide out my dashcam cables in the car's headliner/weatherstripping. As such the filter should be no problem for her and she wants to do it.

So next step is...what kind of filters would you recommend (recent input would be most helpful since brands and makes always change). I would be looking to buy it locally at a retail store, not order online since I am hoping to pick them up on the way home today. I would prefer not to buy them from Acura unless there was a compelling reason to do so.

Sure, I can go into a parts store and buy whatever, but I highly respect the technical competency here, and your input would go a long way to helping me select a brand and model that works well.

Thanks in advance

-Jeremy

2004 MDX Touring Forest Green
2008 MDX Elite Smoky Grey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegazelle View Post
Hi,

First of all, I just want to mention that I did do a search on both on this site, and while it did yield results, they are several years old, so I am hoping to get some more recent feedback.

As my technically and mechanically minded nine-year-old daughter wants to work more on the car, I did some research into some easy replacement DIY jobs (since I am hardly mechanical) and came across the engine air filter and the cabin air filter. Looks like both are something a monkey can do (hence, I should be able to do it, maybe taking an hour in the process, though my daughter can probably do it in 30 seconds (she fixed a watch for my Grandma yesterday but taking it apart, and previously I had her install bluetooth kits in my in my other as well as Blackberry screens and keyboards, as well as screens for laptops, not to mention hide out my dashcam cables in the car's headliner/weatherstripping. As such the filter should be no problem for her and she wants to do it.

So next step is...what kind of filters would you recommend (recent input would be most helpful since brands and makes always change). I would be looking to buy it locally at a retail store, not order online since I am hoping to pick them up on the way home today. I would prefer not to buy them from Acura unless there was a compelling reason to do so.

Sure, I can go into a parts store and buy whatever, but I highly respect the technical competency here, and your input would go a long way to helping me select a brand and model that works well.

Thanks in advance
well just in case you change your mind and DECIDE that online is okay....

Finally, questions that even I can easily answer:

CABIN filter (will fit both 2007-2013 Acura MDX as well as 2007-2011 Honda CR-V's- I know this b/c I gave the extra one to my cousin!)

2 Pack - EPAuto CP134 (CF10134) Honda & Acura Premium Cabin Air Filter includes Activated Carbon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ENGINE filter:
EPAuto GP013 (CA10013) Honda / Acura Replacement Extra Guard Rigid Panel Engine Air Filter for Odyssey (2005-2010), Pilot (2009-2015), MDX (2007-2009)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2009 MDX
Tech Pkg
Bali Blue Pearl
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 01:34 PM

Garage
Jeremy,
Not sure how close you are to Isligton Ave. and Advance Rd.?

Fincham Auto is a local to me, jobber that I purchase most of my parts from. I do buy all my filters from them, just can't recall the brand.

Any local Jobber can pull up a variety of cabin/engine filter for you, it will then be up to you on how much you want to spend on them.

I do know Acura Sherway charges $86 just to change out the cabin filter, I believe I payed somewhere around $35 for the filter and it really only takes 5 minutes to swap it out.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 01:43 PM

I lean on my local NAPA store for stuff like this.

And I agree, it is a good way to get your kids interested in cars, maintenance etc...

2002 MDX 225K miles.. Silver/Black
2011 MDX Tech 105K Miles Palladium/Taupe
2003 BMW Z4 3.0 54K Miles 6 Speed Titan Silver/Dream Red
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 02:55 PM

Garage
I've been using FRAM CF10134 Fresh breeze cabin air filter with carbon and baking soda, Amazon $12: https://www.amazon.com/CF10134-Fresh...lter+acura+mdx

I usually change out the cabin filter every spring before allergy season kicks into full gear. I showed my kids basic stuff about cars like adjusting tire pressure, reason to rotate tires, checking fluids, wiper blades, knowing normal and abby-normal powertrain sounds, etc..

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 03:33 PM

Both the cabin and engine air filters are so easy and potentially inexpensive to replace that any MEN on here who are WILLING to pay the stealerships (@$90 for OEM cabin air filter + @$140 for engine OEM air filter= approximately $220 TOTAL for the 2nd Gen. MDX STEALERSHIP Air Filter x2 special)- should have their 'man card' revoked pronto!!- both can easily be done by youselves for less than $30 total!!!!

Ladies- we have kids to raise/watch over, + many other household tasks, so its understandable if you don't mind paying the inflated stealership rate!

2009 MDX
Tech Pkg
Bali Blue Pearl
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Now now...that my dear is a stereotype that I cannot let slide. There are many of us single fathers who can watch/raise our kids and do all the household tasks, as well as hold down a regular salaried job for 20 years who may not have the time to do the car stuff. We still qualify for the man card in my humble opinion....🤔

We just leverage the child labour...I mean our kids natural curiosity get them to learn about cars.

And...I am a restaurant grade cook as well as a domesticated fashionisto! Hee hee
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegazelle View Post
Now now...that my dear is a stereotype that I cannot let slide. There are many of us single fathers who can watch/raise our kids and do all the household tasks, as well as hold down a regular salaried job for 20 years who may not have the time to do the car stuff. We still qualify for the man card in my humble opinion....🤔

We just leverage the child labour...I mean our kids natural curiosity get them to learn about cars.

And...I am a restaurant grade cook as well as a domesticated fashionisto! Hee hee
lol

2009 MDX
Tech Pkg
Bali Blue Pearl
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

For freaking crying out loud....

Did I say any monkey can do this and that I would qualify? Correction - any monkey can do it and I will pay them next time...

So cabin filter piece of cake. My daughter did the whole thing...I insisted on leaving the contents of the glove box in there and she said, "what if it all falls out?" I said, "don't worry, it won't". You can imagine who was right. Had to pick up all the debris and parts and fuses and tickets for amusement parks, pens, ear plugs, papers, some coins, ownership, manual, flashlight, breath mints, a toothbrush, q-tips and who knows what else as she said, "told ya". Just want to remind you she is nine. She literally did the change in under 30 seconds. And then she said, "this is boring...I'm going inside..." I got some Fram Coolbreeze filter.

So she left me with the job of doing the engine filter. Easy peasy right? Even a monkey can do it...

I got a FRAM engine filter. Good for 12 months apparently.

So I realized that a Phillips screwdriver will not unbolt anything...so I got my rachet set and realized the ratchet screwdriver won't loosen anything. So I got my ratchet only to realize the extender is somewhere in my very limited, and missing-tons-of-stuff toolbox...

I found the extender. The two bolts closest to the engine were rusty but loosened. The top bolts (cloest to outside) loosened. I unplugged the thingy up top (MAF sensor something like that) and took out the filter. New one was the right fit but didn't have the feet on the frame (I assume I install the whole plastic frame instead of trying to fish the filter out). Got everything in and then went to rebolt everything...

For those at this point who read my other post last week, you will be thinking "do not overtighten".

I was thinking that too as I tightened it. I got all four tightened and then I thought, I will just tighten the corner one (from the front of the car looking in it is the top right). I tightened it and the bolt snapped in half, with the top part falling into the car. Oh man, I thought...I screwed this up again! Now the engine air filter cover seems to be pretty tightly on, on all three sides. Is this a big deal? Should I go buy some new bolts and redo all 4? Wait a year until next time? I just don't want that engine filter cover to pop open.

Not sure where to get the bolt set. It doesn't even look like they fully come out so not sure how I am to even reinstall a good one? Or do I leave 3 out of 4 securely holding that plastic air filter cover in place?

Mechanic work and my skill level seem to be mutually exclusive.

I didn't want to tell my daughter what happened, so when she asked what happened, I said, "new filter is in the car!"

Help, please... And Priscilla, I will hand over my man card shortly...
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northof49 View Post
Jeremy,
Not sure how close you are to Isligton Ave. and Advance Rd.?

Fincham Auto is a local to me, jobber that I purchase most of my parts from. I do buy all my filters from them, just can't recall the brand.

Any local Jobber can pull up a variety of cabin/engine filter for you, it will then be up to you on how much you want to spend on them.

I do know Acura Sherway charges $86 just to change out the cabin filter, I believe I payed somewhere around $35 for the filter and it really only takes 5 minutes to swap it out.
Hey there, fellow Canuck...no, I am out in Markham so that is a bit of a hike. I got both the engine and cabin filter from the local Parts Source. It went well until I snapped one of the retaining bolts on the engine filter cover...now I need to find replacement bolts...I may replace all four since two of them are rusty.

-Jeremy

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgold35 View Post
I've been using FRAM CF10134 Fresh breeze cabin air filter with carbon and baking soda, Amazon $12: https://www.amazon.com/CF10134-Fresh...lter+acura+mdx

I usually change out the cabin filter every spring before allergy season kicks into full gear. I showed my kids basic stuff about cars like adjusting tire pressure, reason to rotate tires, checking fluids, wiper blades, knowing normal and abby-normal powertrain sounds, etc..
Due to your recommendation, this is exactly what I bought and my daughter installed.

-Jeremy

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

So I have a question now... The FRAM one I put in said good for 20,000 KM, which is about what I drive every year.

I am now wondering whether I should have put in an Acura OEM one. Because the last time it was changed was 2013 and that was from maintenance minder. The dealership told me to change it when maintenance minder tells me. I haven't received any notification yet, but if the OEM filters are good for 3+ years, I wonder whether I should have used that instead of the FRAM which looks like I have to replace once a year.

Especially when I broke one of the bolts, in tightening the cover.

Thoughts?

-Jeremy

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 01:28 PM

Garage
As for engine filter, I've never left one in for more than a year. I always change mine out in spring/summer.

Really depends on how dusty your commute is. Mine is usually on roads traveled more by transport trucks so more dust kicking up in the air.

For the time being, you can get some black duct tape to replace the busted tab/bolt until you replace it. Just so the lid stays firmly down.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 01:34 PM

Garage
I think it would depend on driving conditions. It is really dusty and sandy in the southwest. My cabin air filter looks pretty dirty after a year (I drive around 20,000 per year). I have a K/N drop-in filter and I just clean at the same time I replace the cabin filter in the spring (do the same for my TSX and RDX). The K/N isn't as dirty as the cabin filter usually and I could go longer between cleanings if I wanted. I think the resonator tubing and the location of the engine air filter intake helps keep the debris down compared to the cabin filter.

I have one broken bolt on my RDX air filter for years. The lid still secures tight. I probably won't fix until a second bolt breaks.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 02:46 PM

The cabin filter is one particular 2nd gen MDX item that I replace at least once (sometimes twice!) a year...if you want the inside of your X to smell like new/very clean, check out this older thread advising spraying a can of 'Wurth' when changing out your MDX's air cabin filter...very timely as the warm weather isn't too far away!

Ever since Mr. Fabvsix had originally posted this recommendation/cabin filter change enhancement, I've always resorted to spraying a can of 'Wurth' into the cabin filter area- just PRIOR to inserting the new filter in behind the glove box...

now sure this simple/small can of Wurth is not the cheapest alternative (at about $10-$15 a can) but it really makes the moldy smell go away (or if you have a family that's prone to flatulence- this works wonders as a nice counter piece to combat that unappealing fresh arse scent that valet drivers often complain about during their smoke breaks~ as a distant relative would attest to us from experience...LOL)

http://www.mdxers.org/forums/74-2007...ir-filter.html

2009 MDX
Tech Pkg
Bali Blue Pearl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: