2nd Gen. MDX Oil Change Frequency INQUIRY - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

2nd Gen. MDX Oil Change Frequency INQUIRY

DISCLAIMER: I do know that both the search button and google are my friends- just hoping to get some real time (2nd generation MDX related) feedback on this heavily beaten topic....

SO i came across the following:
Quick-lube chains say 3,000 miles, auto manufacturers recommend 5,000 to 7,500 miles and synthetic oil companies, 10,000. How often do you really need to change the oil in your car?...

For the majority of my 2009 MDX's life, I've been using Mobil 1 5W20 synthetic engine oil (along with a FRAM brand ultra synthetic oil filter)- having my local stealership change the oil about every 3000 miles- is that too FREQUENT?

how important is the time factor-if I only put on 1000 miles in 3 months- can I wait an additional 3 months or (until I've driven more miles) before having the oil changed out again?...are there any real negative consequences of waiting more than 3 months (i.e 5 months or longer?) before having Mr. Stealership change my MDX's oil again?

2009 MDX
Tech Pkg
Bali Blue Pearl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 03:01 PM

I just got my newer 08 MDX but with my other cars, I have always used synthetic oil and changed every 8,000 KM (which I think is something close to 5,000 miles). A lot of these places will give you a mileage or timeframe, with whatever comes first, but I personally just go with the mileage one. My mechanic recommends the same, unless the car sits for months on end. If you are looking to save money, you can have an indie mechanic change your oil using the exact same oil and filter, but save some dollars in the process. Or for some here who are mechanically inclined, change it yourself.

My 04 MDX that I got earlier last month - it had an oil change in late January and by the time I bought it a month and a half later, there was only 175KM put on it since the oil change, since it was sitting in his garage, awaiting a buyer (which ended up being moi). If I went by the time, I would need to change it again later this month. But it's hardly been 1700KM since I got it so no way I am changing the oil again so soon. But when it gets to around 7000-8000KM, I will get the oil changed.

The only caveat here is if it is really hot weather or really cold weather - I will generally then change it every 6,000 KM. And always synthetic oil If it was standard mineral oil, it would be your regular 3,000 KM intervals.

-Jeremy

2004 MDX Touring Forest Green
2008 MDX Elite Smoky Grey
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegazelle View Post
I just got my newer 08 MDX but with my other cars, I have always used synthetic oil and changed every 8,000 KM (which I think is something close to 5,000 miles). A lot of these places will give you a mileage or timeframe, with whatever comes first, but I personally just go with the mileage one. My mechanic recommends the same, unless the car sits for months on end. If you are looking to save money, you can have an indie mechanic change your oil using the exact same oil and filter, but save some dollars in the process. Or for some here who are mechanically inclined, change it yourself.

My 04 MDX that I got earlier last month - it had an oil change in late January and by the time I bought it a month and a half later, there was only 175KM put on it since the oil change, since it was sitting in his garage, awaiting a buyer (which ended up being moi). If I went by the time, I would need to change it again later this month. But it's hardly been 1700KM since I got it so no way I am changing the oil again so soon. But when it gets to around 7000-8000KM, I will get the oil changed.

The only caveat here is if it is really hot weather or really cold weather - I will generally then change it every 6,000 KM. And always synthetic oil If it was standard mineral oil, it would be your regular 3,000 KM intervals.
gracias!- i shall wait until 5000 miles has passed before I call upon the stealership to change out the engine oil on my '09 MDX again...

2009 MDX
Tech Pkg
Bali Blue Pearl

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 03:14 PM

It really all depends on brand/type of oil and filter quality. I have been using AMSOIL signature full synthetic oil with AMSOIL 15K miles filters. AMSOIL is good for 15K miles in severe service and 25K miles in normal services. I sent oil samples for analysis after every change. I have gone 10K miles with AMSOIL and the oil analysis indicate the oil is still protecting the engine. Normally, I change oil one time every year. One time in one year I went 16K miles and the oil was still in good shape.

IMHO, every 3000 miles chabge is really too frequent for using Mobil 1 synthetic oil. You can use the SERVICE MINDER in the MDX to change your oil and you will be fine using Mobil 1 synthetic.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRGonzalez View Post
It really all depends on brand/type of oil and filter quality. I have been using AMSOIL signature full synthetic oil with AMSOIL 15K miles filters. AMSOIL is good for 15K miles in severe service and 25K miles in normal services. I sent oil samples for analysis after every change. I have gone 10K miles with AMSOIL and the oil analysis indicate the oil is still protecting the engine. Normally, I change oil one time every year. One time in one year I went 16K miles and the oil was still in good shape.

IMHO, every 3000 miles chabge is really too frequent for using Mobil 1 synthetic oil. You can use the SERVICE MINDER in the MDX to change your oil and you will be fine using Mobil 1 synthetic.
thanks- will adhere to the 'every 5000 miles' guideline for any future oil changes being performed on my '09 MDX moving forward!

2009 MDX
Tech Pkg
Bali Blue Pearl
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 03:57 PM

Garage
I'm usually around 7500-8500 miles per M.I.D. using Mobil 1 5w-20. I change the oil (and rotate/balance my tires) when the A/B service is due. I end up changing oil 2-3 times a year because I put around 20,000 miles per year.

The only think I'm not 100% sure about is other 1-6 service due that don't show on the M.I.D. until you reach 15% or less for the A/B service. You might have to keep track of those because resetting the oil change % before 15% might also reset the 1-6 service you can't see yet. You don't want to be super vigilant on oil changes and end up neglecting or being overdue on other services.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 04:42 PM

Mobil 1 EP (Extended Performance) 5W-30 and I go for 10K-15K changes or every December.
As per oil lab analysis I can go further than 15K but I have never reached it so I always spent around 10-12K on my oil change. Mobil 1 EP Guarantees your engine protection for 15K.

Usually the MID is tuned for using OEM Oil Only so even if you use higher quality oil the MID will still tells you that it has to be changed early.. Unless Acura starts to equip some sort of Oil Life Analyzer like BMW or MERC does the MID will always consume the oil life very quickly under the assumption you are using OEM Stuff all the time.

Switch to a higher grade Syn Oil (Standard Mobil 1 stuff is rated for 6 months only, Use Mobil 1 EP instead) and Filter (Yeah not FRAM, Use K&N HP or Mobil 1 EP) and enjoy year round changes.

2G MDX Tech & Entert // Sport Running Board // F&R Fender Garnish // Wheel Locks // K&N Filter making a billion horsepower...
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 05:47 PM

Just curious what doe the M1 EP do that regular M1 does not? Also how does the EP differ from the high mileage?

Why 5w30? Sorry to the OP id this is off topic...
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 10:17 PM
JRB

From Day 1 I've just gone by what comes up on the M.I.D., for oil changes and all other service on my 2010 Advance. To date all required service has been performed by the dealer. I use the coupons they send out and what they charge is very reasonable, just $29.95 for oil changes (includes various checks, fluid top-offs and wash). In the 61,000 miles driven since new I've never had to add a drop of oil.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 10:21 PM

I go by the MID display on my 10, .run syn oil...has worked so far...have a Acura/Honda specialty shop that I trust.

2002 MDX 225K miles.. Silver/Black
2011 MDX Tech 105K Miles Palladium/Taupe
2003 BMW Z4 3.0 54K Miles 6 Speed Titan Silver/Dream Red
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex1 View Post
Just curious what doe the M1 EP do that regular M1 does not? Also how does the EP differ from the high mileage?

Why 5w30? Sorry to the OP id this is off topic...
EP has double the additives and protection packages than standard Mobil 1, It is designed to be a long life year round oil (Well if you do less than 15K a Year anyway). "High Mileage" is pure snake oil, its the same as normal oil but with "Anti-Leaks" additives what ever that means.. EP is the best stuff Mobil 1 sells today and I have been using it for many years on my 225K TL-S with no leaks what so ever.

I use 5W-30 because here in SoCali we get 120F

2G MDX Tech & Entert // Sport Running Board // F&R Fender Garnish // Wheel Locks // K&N Filter making a billion horsepower...
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skirmich View Post
EP has double the additives and protection packages than standard Mobil 1, It is designed to be a long life year round oil (Well if you do less than 15K a Year anyway). "High Mileage" is pure snake oil, its the same as normal oil but with "Anti-Leaks" additives what ever that means.. EP is the best stuff Mobil 1 sells today and I have been using it for many years on my 225K TL-S with no leaks what so ever.

I use 5W-30 because here in SoCali we get 120F

Thanks
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscillababy View Post
DISCLAIMER: I do know that both the search button and google are my friends- just hoping to get some real time (2nd generation MDX related) feedback on this heavily beaten topic....

SO i came across the following:
Quick-lube chains say 3,000 miles, auto manufacturers recommend 5,000 to 7,500 miles and synthetic oil companies, 10,000. How often do you really need to change the oil in your car?...

For the majority of my 2009 MDX's life, I've been using Mobil 1 5W20 synthetic engine oil (along with a FRAM brand ultra synthetic oil filter)- having my local stealership change the oil about every 3000 miles- is that too FREQUENT?

how important is the time factor-if I only put on 1000 miles in 3 months- can I wait an additional 3 months or (until I've driven more miles) before having the oil changed out again?...are there any real negative consequences of waiting more than 3 months (i.e 5 months or longer?) before having Mr. Stealership change my MDX's oil again?
You should have no problems taking a longer time on oil changes because you are using full sythentic. They don't degrade anywhere near dino oil from sitting so just stick to when the MID tells you to and not worry about the mileage if using synthetic.

-=+>TRINERGY<+=-

2009 ACURA MDX Tech and Entertainment | Formal Black/Ebony
2010 MAZDA 3 Sedan S Sport | Graphite Mica/Black
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinergy View Post
You should have no problems taking a longer time on oil changes because you are using full sythentic. They don't degrade anywhere near dino oil from sitting so just stick to when the MID tells you to and not worry about the mileage if using synthetic.
Thanks homeslice!

2009 MDX
Tech Pkg
Bali Blue Pearl
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 11:25 AM

What is your MID showing at 3k or 5k miles when you've been changing it? Based on oil sampling I've done, the MID is quite conservative. Per Honda, you should change the oil once a year if the MID hasn't called for a change sooner.

We get 8k-10k miles between changes and oil sampling shows that's VERY conservative, but we drive far more highway and long trips.

'12 MDX Tech
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: